Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

In the US:

I think the DA 40 Limited is still delightfully underpriced (though not as much as it used to be).

Overpriced:
18-135WR
FA 31 Limited
DA* 55
all of the Tokina copies

The rest seem pretty reasonable to me vis a vis the competition.

07-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
In the US:

I think the DA 40 Limited is still delightfully underpriced (though not as much as it used to be).

Overpriced:
18-135WR
FA 31 Limited
DA* 55
all of the Tokina copies

Pretty much how I feel too. If you just look at the image quality of the DA 40mm Limited, it is an under-priced lens right now.

The 18-135mm is way overprice, and I agree that the 31mm should be around the same as the 77mm, but then again, it would lose its mystique. If there are no SDM issues, all the DA* lenses are under-price compare to the competitors.
07-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

In the US:

Overpriced:
18-135WR
FA 31 Limited
DA* 55
all of the Tokina copies

That list seems reasonable to me. Not sure if I'd consider the 40 underpriced at this point, but considering it's size and IQ it is certainly an outstanding lens.

I would agree DA*55 is a bit overpriced compared to the competition, as are the Tokina copies (DA*16-50, 50-135, 35/macro). The 18-135 is a nice lens which I enjoy using, but it's also more expensive than the Nikon/Canon versions (although that's a comparison to non-WR lenses). Had I paid the new prices for any of those lenses, I'm pretty sure I would have questioned their value.

Not sure how to judge the 31 in terms of price. It's certainly an expensive lens, but it's also an outstanding lens as well. Is $1000 too much to pay for it new? Again, I think it's hard to say once you get into that price range as the "value" you get isn't always proportional to what you have to spend.
07-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Not sure how to judge the 31 in terms of price. It's certainly an expensive lens, but it's also an outstanding lens as well. Is $1000 too much to pay for it new? Again, I think it's hard to say once you get into that price range as the "value" you get isn't always proportional to what you have to spend.
Yeah, my call on the 31 was very much a personal thing... I just haven't quite jelled with it yet. If I eventually do, its value to me might go up quite a bit.

07-12-2011, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Overpriced compared to what? To what you or I personally might want to pay? Well, then sure, any lens that isn't free is overpriced. Compared to what they actually cost to design, produce, and sell? I don't see how anyone on this forum can possibly be in a position to comment on that.
07-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

all of the Tokina copies
The only current Pentax lens generally acknowledged to be. Tokina design is the DA12-24. If you're think of, eg, the DA*16-50 and 50-135, those are pretty much known to be Pentax designs that Tokina has then licensed and sells at a discount (see, for example, the patents).
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gut1kor Quote
4. In Singapore they are generally 20% 30% more than the US prices.
I live in Singapore and I can tell you don't know what you're talking about.
Singapore's prices are on par and occasionally cheaper than the US. More importantly, we always seem to get our Pentax gear far quicker than most places.

07-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I think the DA* 55, FA 50, DA 21, FA 31 are overpriced (in US dollars).

The zooms are competitive, most of the limiteds are equivalent to offerings from other brands.
07-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I live in Singapore and I can tell you don't know what you're talking about.
Oops! it seems I got wrong information then. My friends live there in Singapore. I asked them to get the price info on pentax lenses in Mar and in comparison they were over priced and so I thought US was better. In that case flying there from India seems worth.

Also I found some Hong Kong dealers over ebay selling the gear at cheaper prices. Are they grey imports? Any idea on that?
07-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #25

31mm is not overprice..... for the wrong reason

I think I heard a lot of those 31mm to be less then perfect since they are AIV..... and not so with the 43/77mm. I guess the testing and fine tuning with the 31mm must be very labour intensive...... so the cost must be higher.
07-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artifarty Quote
I think I heard a lot of those 31mm to be less then perfect since they are AIV..... and not so with the 43/77mm.
Gonna call BS on this one...
07-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The only current Pentax lens generally acknowledged to be. Tokina design is the DA12-24. If you're think of, eg, the DA*16-50 and 50-135, those are pretty much known to be Pentax designs that Tokina has then licensed and sells at a discount (see, for example, the patents).
Nevertheless, Tokina sells them substantially cheaper.

I know, I know... WR, "special coatings," etc... Still, in Nikon mount I was able to get the Tokina equivalent of the DA 35 Limited and DA* 50-135 for the same price as a used DA* 50-135 here on the forum. I doubt you'd be able to tell any difference in IQ, and I guarantee you the SDM won't fail on the Tokina 50-135.
07-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know, I know... WR, "special coatings," etc... Still, in Nikon mount I was able to get the Tokina equivalent of the DA 35 Limited and DA* 50-135 for the same price as a used DA* 50-135 here on the forum. I doubt you'd be able to tell any difference in IQ, and I guarantee you the SDM won't fail on the Tokina 50-135.
I think the point is really that Pentax is selling lenses for their own mount, while Tokina is a third party vendor for others mounts. Third party lenses are always quite a bit cheaper than lenses made by the camera maker.
07-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the point is really that Pentax is selling lenses for their own mount, while Tokina is a third party vendor for others mounts. Third party lenses are always quite a bit cheaper than lenses made by the camera maker.
Though that's often because (or at least justified by the fact that) the optical design is not as sophisticated. In this case the designs are identical.
07-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster

agreed
bonus things are nice (WR, build, coatings, even SDM), but the price is excessive