Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the 43 a few minutes ago.

And yes Axl, I was thinking the same thing about the 28. So my next purchase will probably be a 24 or the 21.

Thanks again.
What?! You don't want the third FA amigo? I'm betting that you will change your mind after spending some quality time with the FA43. Personally, I find the interval between 43mm and 31mm to be significant, and I use both lenses regularly. Of course, the FA31 is more expensive, but that's because people love it so much.

Rob

07-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
What?! You don't want the third FA amigo? I'm betting that you will change your mind after spending some quality time with the FA43. Personally, I find the interval between 43mm and 31mm to be significant, and I use both lenses regularly. Of course, the FA31 is more expensive, but that's because people love it so much.

Rob
3rd amigo is the greatest of them all but it's way too close to 31 as part of the same line up... 28 or 24 just make a lot more sense..
07-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the 43 a few minutes ago.

And yes Axl, I was thinking the same thing about the 28. So my next purchase will probably be a 24 or the 21.

Thanks again.
Nice, you really cant go wrong with either lens, however the 43/77 combo is a better pair than the 55/77 combo.

But dont expect the 43 to be exactly like a wider 77, they do render similar but also very differently too, its hard to explain it , they are two different beasts.
07-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would take the 43mm over the 55mm. If I just had to have the F/1.4 I would go with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 over the 55mm DA*. Nothing wrong with the 55mm, but there are other lenses that are just as good or better for less money. If the most important thing is having "PENTAX" on the barrel then go with the 43mm. Excellent lens.

I came very close to buying the Sigma 30 1.4, but I read a lot of mixed reviews about it and the Sigma 50 1.4 about softness wide open and some have said the colors and contrast aren't up to the Pentax lenses.
I only have two zoom lenses (a dozen primes) and one of them is the Sigma 28-105 2.8 - 4. Although I find the contrast a bit low and colors a little flat (unfair comparison to my 77?) it is a very SHARP lens. And I always get useable images.

07-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote

Rob
AH the 31...
Thus far I've been able to squelch that voice in the back of my head that keeps screaming I need a silver one!

It may be a bit harder now that I'll have two of the three. But I'll try for a bit longer...
07-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I came very close to buying the Sigma 30 1.4, but I read a lot of mixed reviews about it and the Sigma 50 1.4 about softness wide open and some have said the colors and contrast aren't up to the Pentax lenses.
I only have two zoom lenses (a dozen primes) and one of them is the Sigma 28-105 2.8 - 4. Although I find the contrast a bit low and colors a little flat (unfair comparison to my 77?) it is a very SHARP lens. And I always get useable images.
People knock the Sigma 30mm because it has soft edges, but that is the same reason people knock the 43mm LTD. I probably would not buy the Sigma 30mm.

I tested two 55mm lenses before buying the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. On an APS-C it give excellent results from edge to edge and f/1.4 is very usable. Bokeh is really good and sharpness at wide apertures is as good as you will find. If you don't need wider apertures (shoot a lot at f/4) then there are better lenses. At f/4 and up both the 43mm and the 55mm are sharper according to the reviewer, but I am not sure the difference is field relevant. I very rarely go past F/4 and shoot a lot at f/2.0 and the sharpness/contrast of the Sigma at F/2 is extremely good.

One thing to note is that the Sigma 50mm is closer to 47mm. There are only a hand full of Sigma lenses that I would consider buying. The 50mm, 85mm, 150mm macro, 17-50 HSM OS, & 120-300 HSM OS. The 50mm, 150mm macro, & 17-50 HSM OS are as good as any "brand name" options on the market..... Other than maybe the Olympus 50mm f/2, 150mm f/2 & 14-35 f/2, but that is a dead system.
07-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Winder - the Sigma 30/1.4 is a lovely lens. Incredibly sharp with a smooth bokeh - it never leaves my bag !

07-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own both, and I'm more likely to take the 55 than the 43.

Also fwiw I haven't seen any documented cases of sdm failure on the 55.
07-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
People knock the Sigma 30mm because it has soft edges, but that is the same reason people knock the 43mm LTD.
the 43mm doesn't have weak corners that are as bad in the Sigma 30mm, it is better overall but the focal length isn't as wide or flexible as the Sigma.

I would say however is if your priority is center sharpness, lowlight, center portraiture and HSM, the Sigma 30 is the better option although it would be pretty much suspect for general use, group shots, architectures and landscape. it would be a great complement to a sharp Pentax 35mm lens if you could live or willing to have a two 30mm lens solution in your line-up for their specific purpose or use. but if you want a single all-purpose lens that can do the job that you want or need and doesn't require you to carry or have to switch lenses for the occasion, the FA31 would be the perfect fit.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-13-2011 at 10:18 PM.
07-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Congratulations on the new purchase. As far as focal length goes the 43 is the most used lens on my digital camera. The 77 is quite different as mentioned above from the 43. There are similarities, but the 77 is used most often on my film cameras. It seems a little long for my tastes on APS-C. But I love 77mm on film!

As far as IQ goes, the 43 is my all-time favorite lens.
07-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Frogfish, those shots are great. If I come across another deal on the Sigma 30 I'll have to give it a try.

Clinton, I had never heard of SDM failure on the 55 itself, so I didn't let that be part of my initial decision. The 55 is still on my list, I just delayed the purchase a bit.

Pentaxor, I would love to add the 31 to my bag. Everything I've seen about and from it is amazing. I suspect I'll "have" to buy one soon.

builttospill, the 77 has thus far been my favorite lens. But I shoot a lot of portraiture. I also still enjoy shooting film. Which had more to do with my decision than anything since the 43 has an aperture ring.
07-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had both... actually just sold the 43 today. I never thought I'd sell it. However, owning the 55 and the DA 35 Macro, turns out I just wasn't using the 43, so it was silly to keep. I'm more comfortable with the 35 and 55 focal lengths, and the weather-sealing on the 55 is why I originally bought it.

I had posted a while back about the 55, and quite a few people said it had similar rendering qualities to the 43. I'd somewhat agree. Though there is something unique about the way the 43 draws.

The 43...

The 55...

07-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Had both... actually just sold the 43 today. I never thought I'd sell it. However, owning the 55 and the DA 35 Macro, turns out I just wasn't using the 43, so it was silly to keep. I'm more comfortable with the 35 and 55 focal lengths, and the weather-sealing on the 55 is why I originally bought it.

I had posted a while back about the 55, and quite a few people said it had similar rendering qualities to the 43. I'd somewhat agree. Though there is something unique about the way the 43 draws.

The 43...

The 55...

Exactly my thoughts. I almost stopped using due to bizarre focal length it although I took some of my favourite shots with it.
07-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #29
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Exactly my thoughts. I almost stopped using due to bizarre focal length it although I took some of my favourite shots with it.
and +1 here....
07-14-2011, 04:07 AM   #30
Forum Member

1 4 5 6 10 are with 43? And the remainder with the 55?

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't own both but I used to...
Now I just have 55. I do miss the rendering qualities of 43 but I'm much more comfortable with focal length of 55. If you have and love 77 then 43 would make a good sense, that is however if you are comfortable with the focal length. But it's a nice spread 43+77, 55 is touch close to 77.

Now to the 2 lenses...
43 is much smaller, uses smaller (49mm as on FA77) filters is lighter and focuses faster (not fast, but faster than 55).
On the other side, 55 is quiet, is WR and has better hood and hood attachment arrangement (the DA*55 hood offers much more protection to the front element from elements, hits and debris than any FA ltd hood).

IQ wise? FA43 is incredibly sharp at any f stop, has excellent contrast and great colours. DA*55 is usably sharp at f1.4 just about as sharp at f1.8-2 as 43ltd and sharp from there onwards (43 edges it in this respect though). Contrast is very high from f1.6 and usable at f1.4. 55 has less CAs than 43 and I'd say touch less PF too. 43 has bit better flare resistance IMO and touch better colours. OOF? well, both lenses can be busy. 55 more so in "right conditions" but also because of extra 12mm 55 smooths background more in most occasions.

At the end few shots from both, you tell me which is which

regards