Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

70-200 2.8 for digital and film

We are not thinking of adding a 70-200 /80-200 2.8 zoom for our cameras: K10D, K-r, MZ5n and SF1n. Used is just fine. So reading the latest reviews and such the Sigma is rated highly however its predecessor is not. But some rate the one before that, the one without the HSM in the name as a very good lens.

So my main questions regarding a fast zoom for our Pentaxs are 1) is the earlier Sigma on or near par with the newest one as far as sharpness goes and is there a great difference in focusing speed? 2) Are we defeating the purpose of having a fast focusing lens for the digital cameras by wanting it to work on the film cameras and 3) do the latest work on the AF film cameras or is it MF only?

We are thinking about the two or three versions of the Sigma, the Tamron and the Pentax 80-200. The main purpose would be sports and some wildlife. The size is not the most important aspect as it will not be a lens in either of our camera bags (I did that with the Nikon 80-200 at my former job and it was just too much to carry around unless one thought they would need it that day). There is also the possibility of wanting a 2X TC for it as well.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed. I have read both positive and negative comments on most of these lenses however nothing about any trade offs with wanting to be able to use them on film cameras. The truth of the matter is though that if there is a big advantage of using a lens that is not that compatible with the two film cameras but is an advantage on the digital ones than that is the more important aspect for both my wife and myself.

07-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. the newest one is the OS version which is simply an amazing lens. I own the HSM II version and its about 95% of the performance you get from the OS version, but still a really good lens. The non HSM should be pretty similar in performance from what i've read online.
The non-HSM version actually focuses faster. Look it up on youtube, the focusing speed on it is just crazy.

2. no, fast focusing is even more important in film IMO since you get no second chances with film

3. the HSM based models wont work, the screw drive version will

there's a in-depth review on the site comparing the newest sigma, the tamron and the pentax