Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are Cosina lenses any good?

A while back I posted some questions about wide-angle zooms... I'm looking for something in the range of 17-35 for my K1000. I spent a lot of time reading posts here & wandering around the internet & finally put it on hold for a while because I couldn't decide & didn't see anything really specific (I realize different users with different cameras have different opinions, so it's a bit hard to tell overall, especially since a lot of the reviews I found were for lenses tested on digitals.)
I'm trying again...
Options are: Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 DG EX; Sigma 18-35 F3.5-4.5; Tokina 20-35 F3.5-4.5; then I just found a Cosina AF 19-35.
The Sigma is much more expensive, but my Gold-n-Blue filter will fit the Tokina. Not sure about the Cosina filter size.
I've seen Sigma reviews that consistently said it was 'soft' but many were on digicams.
Can anyone help? I'd really like to get a lens to enjoy before the summer is gone!
Thanks!

Last edited by Alliecat; 07-15-2011 at 11:26 AM.
07-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a Tokina 20-35 ATX Pro I believe. That one is supposed to be a good lens...

The Cosina should be decent, but I doubt it'll be any better than the other 2 options...
07-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Cosina have produced some fantastic lenses for other companies and now produce the just gorgeous Voigtlander lenses (and I think they have also manufactured Zeiss too). Worth doing some research on it.
07-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
A while back I posted some questions about wide-angle zooms... I'm looking for something in the range of 17-35 for my K1000. I spent a lot of time reading posts here & wandering around the internet & finally put it on hold for a while because I couldn't decide & didn't see anything really specific (I realize different users with different cameras have different opinions, so it's a bit hard to tell overall, especially since a lot of the reviews I found were for lenses tested on digitals.)
I'm trying again...
Options are: Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 DG EX; Sigma 18-35 F3.5-4.5; Tokina 20-35 F3.5-4.5; then I just found a Cosina AF 19-35.
The Sigma is much more expensive, but my Gold-n-Blue filter will fit the Tokina. Not sure about the Cosina filter size.
I've seen Sigma reviews that consistently said it was 'soft' but many were on digicams.
Can anyone help? I'd really like to get a lens to enjoy before the summer is gone!
Thanks!
It's 77mm from the photos of it I have seen.

07-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
Isn't the Cosina the lens that is available in stores under the Phoenix and Vivitar Series 1 brands? I remember seeing someone that was selling his a few years back and he described it as "plastic fantastic".
07-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Cosina have produced some fantastic lenses for other companies and now produce the just gorgeous Voigtlander lenses (and I think they have also manufactured Zeiss too). Worth doing some research on it.
Correct, and it is rumored that a couple of the Pentax Limiteds, as well.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-15-2011 at 04:42 PM.
07-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No, Cosina sucks. Send me all your Cosina lenses. I will dispose of them for no charge.

07-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Correct, and it is rumored that a couple of the Pentax Limiteds, as well.
I thought Pentax denied that with the FA Ltds. The only remaining speculation wasn't with the optics but the metal body of the Pentax 43mm L Special for Leica.
07-16-2011, 05:23 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I thought Pentax denied that with the FA Ltds. The only remaining speculation wasn't with the optics but the metal body of the Pentax 43mm L Special for Leica.
I believe you're right, but it seems like there was some evidence a couple of years ago that they had produced the DA 40 Ltd. I didn't know Pentax had actually denied the FA builds.
07-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I believe you're right, but it seems like there was some evidence a couple of years ago that they had produced the DA 40 Ltd. I didn't know Pentax had actually denied the FA builds.
The only information I'm aware of other than rumor was from Stephen Gandy. He had asked someone at Pentax Japan in 2001 and they stated that the FA LTD lenses were all Pentax. I haven't really seen anything on the DA ltd and never even thought about it because of the AIV with them.

However, Hirakawa Jun designed the FA 43mm LTd, FA 77mm Ltd and the DA 40mm Ltd pancake. I think and it is just strictly speculation that if there are any truth, it could be with the body for the 43 L Special for the Leica mount but the optics are still the Hirakawa design even it that rumor pans out.
07-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No, Cosina sucks. Send me all your Cosina lenses. I will dispose of them for no charge.
Especially the ones sold as Voigtländer.
07-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I will at least pickup the postage.....