Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Please Help with K-r!!!

I have a Pentax model K-r SLR. It came with the 18-55 lens. I would like something bigger and that is somewhat affordable. And can I only use a Pentax lens or will others fit? Any info is much appreciated. Thank you. -HMH-

07-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use any lens with Pentax bayonnet K-mount. This includes the lenses manufactured by Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, Voigtlander, Zeiss and many more.

You can use also use older lenses with Pentax screwmount but would need an adapter (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html).

The PF has an extensive database of Pentax and thrid party lenses that you can use:
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Comprehensive Database

All in all, a great strength of Pentax dSLRs is the lens backward compatibity and the variery of available lens. Use lenses are readlily available in the PF marketplace (The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com) as well as in reputed used equipment stores like Adorama (Used equipment) and Keh.

Hope that the comment will help.
07-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As you have heard, there are LOTS of other lenses. You just have to make certain that the mount is for Pentax K cameras. The first non-Pentax lens I bought was a Quantaray 28-90mm Macro Autofocus lens for $30.

Quantaray 28-90mm f3.5-5.6 version 5 Lens Reviews - Zoom Lenses - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

You can also buy Manual Focus lenses in the K mount and you can buy an adapter that will allow you to use older screw thread lenses that are the M42 mount.

Be careful though because Lens Buying Addiction (LBA) is a very real possibility - although I am immune personally
07-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
In order to use any manual-aperture lens (ie no 'A' setting on the aperture ring) on the K-R, you must go into the menu, scroll all the way to the last page and enable shutter operation with manual aperture ring (or something like that; I think it's the very last option in the menu). With this setting enabled (option 2) you can use auto-aperture lenses - no aperture ring or an 'A' setting - as normal, and manual lenses by setting the aperture ring and using the green button to take a light meter reading.

Don't rule out using older lenses. As long as they are in good condition with no fungus or scratches, the image quality can be just as good if not better than modern mid-range lenses. And I think you can learn more and have a better understanding of photography if you use manual focus and aperture.

07-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The lens that compliments your 18-55, that came with the camera, is the DAL 55-300 lens. Its an entry level zoom that gets very high marks in the ratings and is one of the more affordable zooms available. Many are offered never used or slightly used as people trade up to more expensive lenses.

Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA L Series Zooms - Pentax Lens Reviews & Comprehensive Database
07-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank You!

Thanks everyone for the info. It is very useful!