Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2011, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

OK, I've written this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/152178-draft-a...eap-macro.html

Your comments and cat-calls are welcome!

07-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
OK, I've written this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/152178-draft-a...eap-macro.html

Your comments and cat-calls are welcome!
bout time
07-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
bout time
Yeah, yeah...

Now I need to write the art's about filters (including IR and actinic light), and optical strap-ons, and manual-aperture lens variations, and lens-chopping, and, and Kirlian work, and why torturing images can be fun, etc. I'm only in it for the lulz.
07-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is crazy to say you need a tripod, flash or macro rails to shoot macro. I have managed using only the "cheap" techniques and almost all handheld and have got some quite decent shots. Yes the hit rate is probably lower, but in the digital age is that such a big deal?

07-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
It is crazy to say you need a tripod, flash or macro rails to shoot macro. I have managed using only the "cheap" techniques and almost all handheld and have got some quite decent shots. Yes the hit rate is probably lower, but in the digital age is that such a big deal?
who said that?

I will however say that you do need a flash unless 1:1 is all you shoot and IQ is not a big concern for you.
07-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was referring to this post regarding the need for tripod/rails etc

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
does 1:2 without the 01f 2X converter and 1:1 w/ the converter and I like it. It is not an autofocus lens so some people don't like that but the argument comes up that you don't want autofocus for macro work so why does it matter. These are not hard to find and KEH usually has mounts if you buy one from somebody who used it on a different brand of camera.

The other thing you might want to consider if nobody else has mentioned it is your macro set-up. You need a tripod to keep things steady a good head for framing the shot and I also think you need some type of macro rails for small incremental movement forward and backward to get the area in focus you want to. It seems to me that the focal plane at 1:1 is very narrow and just trying to move the tripod can be frustrating. Some of your $200.00 you may want to put in some of these areas.
07-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I was referring to this post regarding the need for tripod/rails etc
Oh, I missed that post Yes he is misinformed. At 1:1 thats all overkill and unnecessary unless deep stacking is the plan.
07-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's the least expensive, available new:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/149140-inexpen...acro-lens.html

07-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Oh, I missed that post Yes he is misinformed. At 1:1 thats all overkill and unnecessary unless deep stacking is the plan.
My post was suggesting things that the OP might need/want to help him/her be more successful at macro photography. I don't think I am misinformed at all. I have tried handheld macro shots with a "low hit rate" and have been disappointed when they didn't turn out the way I was expecting. So why not suggest some other things that may be helpful, I didn't say if you don't have these you can't do macro work.
07-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
My post was suggesting things that the OP might need/want to help him/her be more successful at macro photography. I don't think I am misinformed at all. I have tried handheld macro shots with a "low hit rate" and have been disappointed when they didn't turn out the way I was expecting. So why not suggest some other things that may be helpful, I didn't say if you don't have these you can't do macro work.
I agree if the language is appropriately hedged like "you'll probably find focusing rails & tripod useful for higher magnifications, focus stacking, or repetitive work with a set-up system."

Perhaps explaining why like "at 1:1 magnification and f:4 the depth of field is only about 1/2 mm
so precise camera positioning is required."

Last edited by newarts; 07-17-2011 at 04:15 PM.
07-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The way you worded it, using the word "need" multiple times, suggests the idea that you can't do proper macro work without the stuff listed.
07-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by grimmy2016 Quote
close to 1:1 and hopefully under $200 or so
Consider whether you really need 1:1. Does 1:2 qualify as "close to 1:1"? If you don't genuinely need 1:1 (I don't), consider the Pentax K, M, or A 100mm f/4 (1:2). The A would probably fall in the ~$200 range, the K and M less.