Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Tamron 28-75 from a da40?

I've read many many reviews (including the dozens on our side) of the Tamron 28-75, and people are saying mostly good things about it. I am considering selling my da40 and getting the Tamron instead. I am curious if anyone has used both and could tell me what they think?

I love the colors and contrast of the da40, but the odd focal length and relatively slow speed for a prime have always bothered me a bit. I recently came into a mint copy of a M 50mm f1.4 which I absolutely love and it has taken away much of my desire to use the da40.

Would you (if you were me) trade a da40 for a tamron 28-75, with a 50mm 1.4 on the side for more prime type stuff? Anyone use both lens, or have much experience with the tamron? Will I lose much contrast/color/etc in switching to the tammy?

07-16-2011, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
I've read many many reviews (including the dozens on our side) of the Tamron 28-75, and people are saying mostly good things about it. I am considering selling my da40 and getting the Tamron instead. I am curious if anyone has used both and could tell me what they think?

I love the colors and contrast of the da40, but the odd focal length and relatively slow speed for a prime have always bothered me a bit. I recently came into a mint copy of a M 50mm f1.4 which I absolutely love and it has taken away much of my desire to use the da40.

Would you (if you were me) trade a da40 for a tamron 28-75, with a 50mm 1.4 on the side for more prime type stuff? Anyone use both lens, or have much experience with the tamron? Will I lose much contrast/color/etc in switching to the tammy?
I use both and so long as you don't mind the extra size, I'd go for it as I don't think you'll feel like it's a major step down in IQ or anything. Certainly the gains in versatility (in FL) are significantly greater than any IQ you'd lose in the process. Specifically, I'd expect a little less flare resistance from the Tamron and the AF won't be quite as quick as the DA40. The Tamron 28-75 + an M50/1.4 is a nice combo IMO, especially for people/portraits.
07-16-2011, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
Will I lose much contrast/color/etc in switching to the tammy?
I've used both. Contrast + colour was about 10% better with the 40 (noticeable). Not so important though. I ended up swapping the 40 for an FA 50 1.4, which ALSO has less desirable colour and contrast. I didn't go for the Tamron because I'm picky and prefer small lenses, plus, his copy was in pretty rough shape by my standards (used).

The versatility of the Tamron is pretty phenomenal and as long as you don't mind lugging around a larger lens, you pretty much have the DA 40, DA 70, and FA 28 in one lens. IQ differences are not at all important if you shoot RAW + post process. Also keep in mind the AF on the Tamron will be slower, but thats because the 40 is VERY fast .

In short - on a budget, you can't really go wrong with the 28-75. Those are easily all of the most useful focal lengths in one lens... you can pick up something like the DA 21 / DA 15 to round out your kit for something pretty easy (and relatively inexpensive).

IMHO, the more time I spend with my FA 50 1.4, the less I care for autofocus for that lens. Generally speaking, it misses focus about as much as I do when its wide open, and it's not particularly hard to focus stopped down a bit. The M 50 1.4 is a great lens as long as you dont mind manual metering.
07-16-2011, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I have the tamron and the fa50 1.4. Part of me wants to get the DA 40 to try out a limited, but another part of me makes me think I should sell most of my primes in the same range as the tamron because it is so good.

07-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
IMHO, the more time I spend with my FA 50 1.4, the less I care for autofocus for that lens. Generally speaking, it misses focus about as much as I do when its wide open, and it's not particularly hard to focus stopped down a bit. The M 50 1.4 is a great lens as long as you dont mind manual metering.
That's odd. My FA50 is one of my most reliable focusers. The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is, too. The Tamron 28-75, though... *sigh*. Not so much.
07-16-2011, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I have the tamron and the fa50 1.4. Part of me wants to get the DA 40 to try out a limited, but another part of me makes me think I should sell most of my primes in the same range as the tamron because it is so good.
I would be MUCH happier with the Tamron 28-75 if autofocus worked properly on my K-5. I can set my AF fine adjust for a single focal length, and it's dead on there, but off at any other setting. Meh.
07-16-2011, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I do rehearsal shots for a local theatre group. The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is my workhorse lens, although i have several to choose from. I get sharp images from it and don't have a problem with focus, although i use a -5 lens adjustment when inside the theatre. I've tried using primes for stage work, but conditions change too much for that to be manageable. i have no problem using it with the K5 or the K20.

07-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, this thread pretty much sealed the deal. I did enjoy my da40 a lot, the colors and contrast are to die for, but I really need something of high quality with more versatility. Rep for all.