Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 18-50mm/2.8-4.5 HSM OS - A lens I'm really liking for its price!

So I decided to grab a Sigma 18-50mm/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM because it came up reasonably priced in the marketplace brand new w/ warranty etc. I wanted something better than the kit lens to sort of compliment my 28-75mm Tamron. I'm going to end up getting some Limited and DA*'s I can see, but this should round out my zoom collection quite nicely.

And wow I'm impressed with the sharpness over the Kit Lens! Many will no doubt argue with me, and I probably am suffering from seeing things that aren't there because its a new toy... but well worth the money.

The Lens is solidly constructed and is very nice with the all internal zoom and focus mechanisms.. HSM is sweet! The loudest thing is now definitely the Shutter Mechanism on my K20D!

The OS is surprising to say the least I thought it would be gimmicky on an 18-50 (my thinking being it would be helpful on longer tele-zooms for composition purposes compared to SR). Wow - it really does work better than SR - at least in my anecdotal experiments... But I have pulled off some 0.5" shots using OS that I wouldn't dream of getting (myself) with SR... Much sharper!

So here is a quick couple of pics - all have been shot handheld using OS

This is about a 50% crop - not the sharpest and a bit of blur - but it was 0.3" shutter!! :

This was trying to find a quick candidate for DoF experimenting:

Grabbing a Coffee:

And just a quick sign to see how slow I could go - this was 1/15 @ 50mm, a 0.5" effort is in my flickr stream:

Anyway - I'm really liking this lens so far!

Last edited by adr1an; 07-18-2011 at 04:40 AM.