Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma OS - Does it make anyone else "Sea Sick" a little ?

Playing with my new Sigma 18-50 w/ HSM and OS. The OS is fantastic.. however.. I noticed when I was spending a decent amount of time playing with manual focus staring through the viewfinder with OS active (because the light meter was running) that I started getting a slight feeling of.. well.. almost vertigo/sea-sickness type nausea (don't know - don't suffer sea sickness at all - so I'm guessing...).

It definitely seemed to get worse the longer I stared through the viewfinder - particularly with my other eye closed...

Anyone else experienced this or am I just a freak ?

07-18-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never experienced the OS to know but I have been seasick - Day 1 you think you're gonna die, Day 2 you wish you'd die, and Day 3 you're either dead or you're just about over the nausea and able to stomach your first meal. It is no exaggeration, and I'm about to go through it again soon.

Anyway back to topic, I suspect there to be a balance disturbance caused by the constant correction by the OS, but it's incongruent with the natural motion your eyes are expecting to experience.
07-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've never experienced this when running OS... but then again, I haven't run OS too much.

Not to get off topic, but might I ask if it is possible to overcome sea sickness (i.e., get use to the motion of the boat and not become sick any longer)?
07-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I've never experienced this when running OS... but then again, I haven't run OS too much.

Not to get off topic, but might I ask if it is possible to overcome sea sickness (i.e., get use to the motion of the boat and not become sick any longer)?
Hmm - cool - I tried again before and same thing after using it for a while with an eye closed... Could you try seeing if you switch it on and look through the OVF for a while if it feels weird ? Something close focus as well - like a bottle on a bench your standing in front of... I just find it weird because I don't normally suffer any of these sorts of symptoms (and aren't afraid of heights, etc etc)

As for 'curing' sea sickness - I'm told that if its due to the inner ear thing, then theres nothing that can be done about it. It does 'come and go' though, and people can go years without suffering then have it again... others can suffer it constantly etc. At least this is what my other half tells me (who also suffers travel sickness quite badly, which i find hilarious considering she.. umm... travels a lot Weirdly she says its never a problem when she's on her motorbike... just other transport...)

Last edited by adr1an; 07-18-2011 at 06:57 AM.
07-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Hmm - cool - I tried again before and same thing after using it for a while with an eye closed... Could you try seeing if you switch it on and look through the OVF for a while if it feels weird ? Something close focus as well - like a bottle on a bench your standing in front of...

As for 'curing' sea sickness - I'm told that if its due to the inner ear thing, then theres nothing that can be done about it. It does 'come and go' though, and people can go years without suffering then have it again... others can suffer it constantly etc. At least this is what my other half tells me (who also suffers travel sickness quite badly, which i find hilarious considering she.. umm... travels a lot Weirdly she says its never a problem when she's on her motorbike... just other transport...)
Ha! I've gone on cruises, etc. but have never been "out at sea" so that's why I was wondering about it.

Actually, I don't own any OS lenses at the moment (have sold them off) so I can't double check for you. Someone around here should be able to though... Sorry about that.
07-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is probably natural and the result of a disconnect between what you see, and what your inner ear (which has a lot to do with balance) perceives.

The same issue happens with some of the new 3D TVs and video games.
07-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It does have something to do with the shape of the inner ear. As a small child I was on boats, on planes, on trains, on motorbikes and in cars all the time. We were constantly on the go it seemed. Then I hit about 5 and all of a sudden I couldn't get near any of the above sans dramamine. My ear drums grew a certain way and that was pretty much it. I was permanently afflicted with motion sickness of all kinds.

It's only gotten worse actually as I have aged. I even get it driving around town sometimes now and I never used to get it while in the driver's seat. I've had bad vertigo and ear infections several times since 2000. From what the doctor told me that natural tendency towards motion sickness was further aggravated by minor damage to my ears. But my folks, up till recently, they were convinced it was all in my head. It took the doctor explaining it all to them to finally get them off my case about it.

Try taking a Dramamine if you're having this problem before you shoot if you can, but make sure it's not the drowsy formula. See if it helps. If it does have your doctor check your ears because they may indeed be affecting your sense of balance, your eyes and how you can use that lens...

07-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lowell put the phenomemon (vestibular disturbance/instability) quite well & succinctly. You do get over a level of sea sickness by Day 3-5 of being at sea but as soon as rougher seas rock the boat more you can be back at square one.

Some never get sea sick, some 'grow out of it' after a while at sea, and some still get violently ill every time they sail - even if at sea for most of their lives. It's not a natural thing the body is designed to put up with.

Last edited by Ash; 07-19-2011 at 03:08 AM.
07-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your input... I'll have to 'keep my eye on it' so to speak.... weird.. first time i've been struck with anything like it....
07-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Not to get off topic, but might I ask if it is possible to overcome sea sickness
Go out to the deck and watch the horizon. Sea-sickness is caused by two conflicting signals that confuse your brain: the receptors (responsible for balance) in your inner ear tell your brain that the ground is moving below your feet, but your eyes see no movement so they tell your brain everything is level and in perfect balance. Some people's brain tolerate this to less extent than others' and they get sea-sickness. If you go out to the deck then your eyes can see the movement and confirm what your inner ear tells to your brain. (excuse my poor english, I'm not good in explaining these kind of things in foreign language)

Other tip that works for airplanes as well: your stomack should be either full or empty, so nothing can move inside in it. If it's half-full then you have a mini sea in your stomack and... you now what will happen

Greetings from an ex-seaman
07-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow! This is fascinating! Is it true that closing your eyes prevents it/makes it better?
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a quick note if any of you ever get a bad case of vertigo for whatever reason, ear infection coming on, whatever? Dramamine is the first thing to do. It's not just for the nausea it also helps you stabilize when your balance is off. It keeps the room from spinning on you. I got vertigo really bad for 3 days again early this year and it was the only thing that helped me get up off the floor so I could make it to the doctor. I still couldn't drive or even walk outside for a while after that, but I could at least walk from my bed to the bathroom, and sit up to eat and stuff. I had no idea that it helped that actually until someone told me. I actually suffered through several bouts without it and it was miserable. I keep some in the house always in case it happens again. I need it to go traveling anyhow but it's also saved my arse a few times now in terms of the ear infection vertigo thing.
07-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #13

I never tried Sigma OS system, but I remember feeling some dizziness with the Nikon system while looking through the viewfinder.
You're not alone !