Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Would it be true that almost everyone on this blog dreams of the ultimate kit? Well I have been having visions and a wish list since about 1970. It wasnít until 1974 I got my first SLR a Pentax Spotmatic II.

A couple of weeks ago my 16th lens arrived since I went digital six years ago. It was the 15mm Ltd. When I got my first Ltd lens, the 35mm macro, I decided it was going to do away with zooms in the wide angle and normal range and go for primes. I have been ecstatic with my 21mm Ltd over the past year. I have toyed for about two years, the 14mm or the 15mm. I had some poor reviews on the 15mm, but 2 factors swung me back to the 15mm, the reviews on this blog and the knowledge that if I got the heavier 14mm whenever I pack my kit to travel I would need to decide if I leave my Sigma 10mm fisheye or the 14mm behind.

When I had tested my new 15mm Ltd lens and the excitement had died down something twigged about the ultimate kit. After all these years of dreaming, I think I actually have got there. I do a lot of wildlife photography and that is why my kit is so bulky. But to just do photography for the fun of creating lovely images I think this kit canít really be beaten. I suspect everyone will have a different range of lenses to meet their special interests. But I am talking about a solid kit that will stand up to and surpass any other kit. For me it only takes four of 16 lenses to make an ultimate kit.
Pentax K5
15mm Ltd
21mm Ltd
35mm macro Ltd
DA 50-135mm zoom

With this kit I can achieve an amazing range of general photography in a small and very elegant package. I have three lovely small metal lenses and a relatively light and high quality zoom. The K5 camera is beyond sensational or any other measurement scale as far as I am concerned. I am ready to take on the word. Just think what it would like to replicate that with a canon, it would weigh more like a panzer tank than a field canon.
it does look like a nice kit, but I can't help thinking it just isn't wide enough. When I shot film, I had primes down to 24mm, (16mm equivelent on digital) and always struggled

when I got my first DSLR, it came with an 18-35mm kit lens, and the only good thing I can say about the lens (actually although the FA-J 18-35F4-5.6 gets a bad rap it is pretty decent) is that it is a full frame lens, so I never used it much on my *istD, but it did find a home on my PZ-1. 18mm on film, (12mm equivelent on digital) is where you need to be looking.

Ideally, pentax should make a prime in the 10-12mm range at F2.8. would be nice,

07-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it does look like a nice kit, but I can't help thinking it just isn't wide enough. When I shot film, I had primes down to 24mm, (16mm equivelent on digital) and always struggled

when I got my first DSLR, it came with an 18-35mm kit lens, and the only good thing I can say about the lens (actually although the FA-J 18-35F4-5.6 gets a bad rap it is pretty decent) is that it is a full frame lens, so I never used it much on my *istD, but it did find a home on my PZ-1. 18mm on film, (12mm equivelent on digital) is where you need to be looking.

Ideally, pentax should make a prime in the 10-12mm range at F2.8. would be nice,
Back in the 80s I had a lovely tiny takamar fisheye that was 180degrees diagonally. It was a ripper lens and it had taken some classic shots. I now have the sigma equivalent but it weighs in as a small canon ball (no pun on canon or is it?) I would love a tiny fisheye like the old takamar