Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 03:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shefaet Quote
I'll second the vote for the Sears 135mm f/2.8. I picked it up on eBay for $25 (incl. shipping) and, though it's my first manual lens, the results have been nothing short of outstanding from day one. Couple with a cheap set of macro extender tubes, and you've got a decent setup for less than $50. (For an even higher mag. ratio, there are some cheap 80-200mm f/4 lenses floating around on eBay with pseudo-macro modes that, when coupled with the extension tubes, give very high magnification ratios and focal distances less than four inches).

Sample picture using Sears 135mm
User Photo Gallery - Nature
very interesting about the extension tubes,hmmm..... it is amazing how cheap some old lenses are going for isnt it.. i think i am going to have to sign up an ebay account and start searching online.... thanks so much for the feedback mate..

11-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I think looking for 2nd hand lenses is the way to go ... I haven't as yet ... but they are looking more and more promising though ... not sure what I am looking for though .... but if it is going to be cheaper than new lenses .... it might be the go.

Although should be picking up a breand new FA50 f/1.4 soon (have been putting it off for a bit) ... but it will be my last "new" lens purchase for sometime.

But may just be tempted in hunting for older lenses to experiment with though.
11-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My pentax gear and M42 adapter info

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
hey guys/girls,. how are we all??
well, as the title suggests, i just recently purchased a k100d. its a fantastic camera and i couldnt be happier with it..at the moment i have a sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 lense. As i am fairly new to digital photography, and also pentax, i was wondering what you guys would advise me to get, in the way of additional lenses.

i would love to get into macro photography , so a decent entry level lense is needed? any suggestions on models etc??

also, i do a lot of ocean/surf/sunset photography, so i would love a nice wide angle lense. i would also love a decent zoom lense also. perhaps a 3-400mm zoom?
again.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,, as far as my budget goes, i would be buying these lenses one at a time (unless they are a reasonable price). setting a budget for AU$200-400 for each one is realistic or not?? and is it considerably cheaper to buy at online shops , compared to me walking into somewhere like TEDS or CAMERA HOUSE??

thanks alot in advance,,

kevin,.,
I have blog posts on my inexpensive gear going from $11 Abinar 28mm F/2.8 Macro with 1:4 magnification to my $190 Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 for my most favorite prime lens. You can make some references to the blog posts:

My pentax gear:
Inexpensive gear with Pentax - Hin's Tech Corner

And if you don't mind manual focusing and manual aperture controls, I highly recommend looking into M42 lens and the adapters

Bower 3rd party M42 adapter (with picture of the genuine adapter) $14.99
Pentax M42 adapters - Hin's Tech Corner

And some custom setup with manual K and M42 lens:
Setup with Pentax M42 mount lens - Hin's Tech Corner

A good pictorial guide that I have referenced in my post also.
Pictorial guide to M lenses in dpreview thread:
K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Hope these help you a bit,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-26-2007 at 04:52 PM.
11-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some samples from cheap gear

$11 Abinar 28mm f/2.8 Macro with K mount and probably 1:4 magnification, not a great macro but a good enough for me as an amateur, please excuse the use of large photo for sample pictures, I will adjust later on for better viewing.

Albinar 28mm f/2.8 Macro Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

And I see some great samples of macro from DA 50-200 + some adatper that I am not aware of. Here is my favorite shot with DA 50-200 straight from my K100D

Reaction to poor photozone.de review, perhaps I have a good copy with DA 50-200
Photozone.de Pentax DA 50-200 review - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin

11-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have blog posts on my inexpensive gear going from $11 Abinar 28mm F/2.8 Macro with 1:4 magnification to my $190 Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 for the most inexpensive prime lens. You can make some references to the blog posts:

My pentax gear:
Inexpensive gear with Pentax - Hin's Tech Corner

And if you don't mind manual focusing and manual aperture controls, I highly recommend looking into M42 lens and the adapters

Bower 3rd party M42 adapter (with picture of the genuine adapter) $14.99
Pentax M42 adapters - Hin's Tech Corner

And some custom setup with manual K and M42 lens:
Setup with Pentax M42 mount lens - Hin's Tech Corner

A good pictorial guide that I have referenced in my post also.
Pictorial guide to M lenses in dpreview thread:
K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Hope these help you a bit,
Hin
thanks such a lot mate,, you have been a real help to me, as i am still unsure about all the lense compatibility etc,.. i am going to have a thorough look through all your links.. once again, thanks so much, i really appreciate it.. ps- those pics have come up great!

kev