Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
additional lenses for my k100d

hey guys/girls,. how are we all??
well, as the title suggests, i just recently purchased a k100d. its a fantastic camera and i couldnt be happier with it..at the moment i have a sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 lense. As i am fairly new to digital photography, and also pentax, i was wondering what you guys would advise me to get, in the way of additional lenses.

i would love to get into macro photography , so a decent entry level lense is needed? any suggestions on models etc??

also, i do a lot of ocean/surf/sunset photography, so i would love a nice wide angle lense. i would also love a decent zoom lense also. perhaps a 3-400mm zoom?
again.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,, as far as my budget goes, i would be buying these lenses one at a time (unless they are a reasonable price). setting a budget for AU$200-400 for each one is realistic or not?? and is it considerably cheaper to buy at online shops , compared to me walking into somewhere like TEDS or CAMERA HOUSE??

thanks alot in advance,,

kevin,.,

11-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well for $200-400 you are pretty well limited to the70-300 lenses from Pentax, Tamron and Sigma. None of these lenses will give you stellar results, slow maximum aperture, soft at maximum telephoto etc. The Pentax DA 50-200 is also an option and is sharper and contrastier, but has vignetting issues.

You could tru the 50-135 but it probably wouldn't have the reach to do surf photography effectively. The Sigma 100-300 f4 is also supposed to be quite good but I don't know if it comes in Pentax mount, and both of these lenses are well out of your budget.

You could also try some old lenses (manual focus etc) and see what you come up with.

As for wide angle, the only one that I can think of that fits in your budget is the 16-45 which I have and love.
11-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Kevin

With your budget, the only new telephoto lenses you can get are Pentax DA50-200, Sigma/Tamron 70-300. You will probably have trouble finding a brand new 1:1 macro lens for less AU$400. I think your best bet might be Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 Di LD Macro. It goes to 300mm and has got 1:2 macro if I remember correctly.

cheers
Kenny

Last edited by kjao; 11-21-2007 at 08:05 PM.
11-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have you thought about 1 good new lens (I'd advise the macro since they seem to be the hardest to find) and top up your collection with a few used lenses.

I do understand that any used Pentax is hard to find in Australia, so my idea might be impractical. But if you don't mind importing it there are several good used stores in the USA anyways.

11-22-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At your budget, you might be better of with the tamron 70-300 4-5.6. If you need more light just increase the the iso.

As for macro, find a cheap fast fifty and a vivitar 2x macro converter. This will give you a 1:1 100mm macro lens.

Good luck!

Deni
11-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks alot guys, i will take all of this into concideration.. i really appreciate it
11-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DV, I'd also think about the Tamron 28-75 F2.8. Great lens, (I have it) not quite macro, but it does focus pretty close about 0.33m. I don't know what the exchange rate is but it's going for about 375USD here. And at 28 it should be wide enough for most of your surf shots. At F2.8 constant aperture, it's moderately fast as well.

NaCl(my preferred "walk around" lens)H2O

11-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #8

DV, it is obvious that you have rather limited bugdet to spend on camera and accessories. So I'd recommend to search for some good old lenses, you really can get great ones for little money.
You could get a old macro lens with manual focus. Macro usually does not require autofocus, so it really can be used. Something like SEARS 135 2.8, said to be a very nice lens.
For casual shots I'd recommend old autofocus Tamron 28-200, which I have myself. A very descent lens. Note that it became worse, after it got "Macro" word in it's name, only just "Aspherical" are good versions.
As for wide angle, there is no good choice perhaps among old ones, because focal ranges became shorted for digital SLRs, so here you should get something new.
11-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
DV, it is obvious that you have rather limited bugdet to spend on camera and accessories. So I'd recommend to search for some good old lenses, you really can get great ones for little money.
You could get a old macro lens with manual focus. Macro usually does not require autofocus, so it really can be used. Something like SEARS 135 2.8, said to be a very nice lens.
For casual shots I'd recommend old autofocus Tamron 28-200, which I have myself. A very descent lens. Note that it became worse, after it got "Macro" word in it's name, only just "Aspherical" are good versions.
As for wide angle, there is no good choice perhaps among old ones, because focal ranges became shorted for digital SLRs, so here you should get something new.
thanks for the reply snowcat. You would be correct in assuming i have a rather limited budget to spend on my camera and accessories. I am only new to digital photography and i simply cannot justify spending semi pro/pro prices for camera and lenses at the moment. prior to my k100d, i was using a cannon a530 powershot for all my photoghraphy, and i was really impressed with it,, so you can imagine how im feeling about this new pentax i have just recently purchased a huge upgrade for me..
however,I really want too see vast improvements in my photographic technique and capabilities etc, before i take the plunge with a 'bank loan' camera set up. Im still getting used to all the manual settings with my k100d, so i look at this camera as my 'guinea pig' camera.. a learning camera. My other hobby is drag racing ,so the majority of my wage gets sucked into my engines,tools,machinery and cars. and unlike the majority of people in the world today, i refuse to use credit cards, so it always takes me longer to save up for things..

i will most defineatly look into 2nd hand lenses etc, as it seems like the logical choice for me, concidering my financial situation at present. i just did a search on the SEARS 135 2.8, and i found a few for sale, so i might have to buy one on your recomendation
i will also look into the Tamron 28-200 "Aspherical" lense..

once again, thank you for your responce ..

kevin..
11-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
DV, I'd also think about the Tamron 28-75 F2.8. Great lens, (I have it) not quite macro, but it does focus pretty close about 0.33m. I don't know what the exchange rate is but it's going for about 375USD here. And at 28 it should be wide enough for most of your surf shots. At F2.8 constant aperture, it's moderately fast as well.

NaCl(my preferred "walk around" lens)H2O
heymate. thanks alot for the reply...
i have seen the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 so i will defineatly look into that,, atm, the exchange is fairly similar to us, so it would only be slightly more expensive. Thats good to know about the apeture,

once again, thanks alot ,

kev
11-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #11

I'll second the vote for the Sears 135mm f/2.8. I picked it up on eBay for $25 (incl. shipping) and, though it's my first manual lens, the results have been nothing short of outstanding from day one. Couple with a cheap set of macro extender tubes, and you've got a decent setup for less than $50. (For an even higher mag. ratio, there are some cheap 80-200mm f/4 lenses floating around on eBay with pseudo-macro modes that, when coupled with the extension tubes, give very high magnification ratios and focal distances less than four inches).

Sample picture using Sears 135mm
User Photo Gallery - Nature

Last edited by shefaet; 11-24-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added sample picture
11-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ditto for Tamron 28-75 f2.8 ; it is sold for 300 AU dollars in Australia (ebay store).

You are welcome to try some of my lenses when the melbourne pentax groups meet up weekly (I will be returning to melbourne in 1 week).

Cheers
11-25-2007, 01:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Are you familiar with the great-glass-at-budget-prices Takumar option? For what you'd spend for a single brand new middle-of-the-road lens you can fill up a camera bag with Takumars.

Some of my images shot with Takumar glass.
11-26-2007, 03:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Ditto for Tamron 28-75 f2.8 ; it is sold for 300 AU dollars in Australia (ebay store).

You are welcome to try some of my lenses when the melbourne pentax groups meet up weekly (I will be returning to melbourne in 1 week).

Cheers
ok, i will defineatly look into the tamron 28-75 .. as far as trying your lenses..that would be great! thanks alot for the offer mate!
send me a PM when you get back to melbourne,,,

kev
11-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Are you familiar with the great-glass-at-budget-prices Takumar option? For what you'd spend for a single brand new middle-of-the-road lens you can fill up a camera bag with Takumars.

Some of my images shot with Takumar glass.
no im not mate, so i will have a look now that sounds ideal for what i want tho...