Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
they can be adjusted unlike the others (except the built in hoods).
Why would you need to adjust the hood on a prime lens?

07-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I got one of those rubber collapsible hoods and the rubber came apart from the ring after very limited use. I was not impressed. Mine was generic. I did like that you could use a cpl filter with it. Is the Pentax hood of better quality?
I have a couple of Henry's. They're pretty thick. I haven't had any trouble and I use mine a lot. Some of the cheapies don't have filter rings which makes them useless to me.

HENRYS 49MM RUBBER LENS HOOD - Henry's best camera store in Canada

I really don't like the three-stage hoods. They're huge and don't work well. The two I have aren't long enough for tele, vignette at the wide end and won't stay in the middle position.
07-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I have a couple of Henry's. They're pretty thick. I haven't had any trouble and I use mine a lot. Some of the cheapies don't have filter rings which makes them useless to me.

I really don't like the three-stage hoods. They're huge and don't work well. The two I have aren't long enough for tele, vignette at the wide end and won't stay in the middle position.
Mine seem to work well in each position. When collapsed they are not huge and fit better in my bag than any other attachable hood I own.
07-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I have an old takumar 55 1.8 m42 lens, and it is suplied with a screw on hood. I have it now almost prmanently fixed on the 35 2.4, and it works fine.

07-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

do a search on the forum for a spreadsheet called hoodcalc. it should be in a zipped file.

this lets you calculate the cylindrical hood needed for any lens, based upon dimensions of th elens sensor, focal length etc.

the program is based upon the thin single lens model of a lens, and as a result needs some specific points from your lens to use it correctly.

You need to know the actual diameter of the front element (i.e. the exposed portion, This is different than the filter diameter.

You need to know the set back of the front element from the filter ring, since this must be subtracted from the hood length offered by the spread sheet.

You also need to know th ediameter of the hood itself. Not always easy to get.

What you can do, is to do the calculation for 3-5 different hood diameters, and plot the length vs diameter, so when you go looking for hoods you know th elimits.

good luck
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
Pentaxian

and there is always the disposable version....

PDF lens hoods for Pentax lenses

something to do at the kitchen table on a cold winters night ?
07-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Might be possible to use a step down ring as a hood, ppl have been doing this successfully on F28's and I think 43 Ltds (and obviously on the 40 Ltd) so it should work. tiny and cheap too!

You need a 49mm to 28mm step down ring

See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/141699-da-40mm...p-fa-43mm.html

07-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

Thanks for the link, audiobomber. I may try one of those.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've got 5 of them and they are decidedly different in quality. Some are thick and seem substantial and others thin. I do not complain for $3, the fact that filters are a breeze with them, that they store better than any other hood (with the obvious exception of built ins which I love), and I have found which supplier (for now) offers the better quality ones.
Thanks. Care to share which supplier you use? I guess I just got a bad one. It was pretty cheap.