Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

Hoods for prime lens?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

a lot of the pentax primes don't offer a place for hoods, how you guys get around with it?

I had a 35mm f2.4 and want to add a hood to it.
I looked at ebay and there are some hoods designed specific for the pentax, are those good?
or is it better to use srew in hood?

Thanks.

07-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dedicated hoods are usually better than round hoods as they provide better corner shade. You'll see lots of clip-on plactic hoods for older lenses, and I'd grab them if you get the chance!
07-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There are a bunch of clip on 49mm hoods out there. Frankly, the 3-stage collapsible rubber hoods are my favorites because they can be varied on the lens, provide some shock absorption, and are cheap and easy to find.
07-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
adam:
thx, but can you find me an example of clip on hoods?
i put in "clip on hoods" on ebay and it returns me no result

docrwm:
3-stage seems like a good buy, does it screw in or it is just rubber stick on the lens?

07-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's usually a screw in type hood.

I personally prefer the rubber hoods because when collapsed, I can easily put on and take off the lens cap. Also, it lets me put on a polarizing filter without having trouble rotating it.
07-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax clip on hoods are usually plastic, so their product names will most likely include "PH-". They're relatively hard to find, but I'm surprised to see that you're getting no results at all.
07-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Look at old style Nikon hoods, made of metal screw in. 52mm thread so you'd need step up ring. For your 35mm I'd get hood for 50/1.4 or 1.8 from Nikon. I used to have them and they are great...
Also you can screw in CPL and the hood on top of it. Rotate hood and you'll rotate the CPL..

07-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's one: Lens Hood as PENTAX PH-SA49 35mm F2.4 AL FA 50mm F1.4 | eBay
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
thx adam and axl

i think i would go for a 3-stage first, since it is cheap and such.
if it doesn't work well for me i'll jump back to the ph- hood.
07-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telly0050 Quote
a lot of the pentax primes don't offer a place for hoods, how you guys get around with it?

I had a 35mm f2.4 and want to add a hood to it.
I looked at ebay and there are some hoods designed specific for the pentax, are those good?
or is it better to use srew in hood?

Thanks.
Unless the Pentax hood is specifically listed as being for a particular lens, there's a good chance you won't be able to use it. I have the rectangular hood for the FA 50mm and the petal-shaped hood for the FA 35mm. Both lenses are 49mm filter size, but the hoods are not interchangeable.

I use and recommend a standard 49mm rubber collapsible hood. I like this hood because it's very compact and allows easy filter use, especially a CPL. The rubber hood may actually provide better coverage than the original FA 35mm hood, because it was designed for a 50mm film lens.

If you want to stay with Pentax, there's this one:
Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video

Otherwise a generic hood will be fine and costs a little less:
RLH49 Adorama 49mm Rubber Lens Hood
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There are a bunch of clip on 49mm hoods out there. Frankly, the 3-stage collapsible rubber hoods are my favorites because they can be varied on the lens, provide some shock absorption, and are cheap and easy to find.

I use them myself, though it's true that rectangular or petal shades can offer more complete shading.
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

thx adam and axl

i think i would go for a 3-stage first, since it is cheap and such.
if it doesn't work well for me i'll jump back to the ph- hood.
3-stage hoods are made for zoom lenses, no point on a prime, just added bulk for nothing. If you have to use it in the mid position on your lens it will drive you crazy. I have a couple of these that are permanently parked.
07-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

adam:
thx, but can you find me an example of clip on hoods?
i put in "clip on hoods" on ebay and it returns me no result

docrwm:
3-stage seems like a good buy, does it screw in or it is just rubber stick on the lens?

They are typically listed as Asahi or Pentax hoods, most are 49mm that I have seen, and they are rigid.

The 3-stage hoods are screw on mostly. They run $3-5 and are Chinese these days. Still a good deal and they can be adjusted unlike the others (except the built in hoods).
07-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I got one of those rubber collapsible hoods and the rubber came apart from the ring after very limited use. I was not impressed. Mine was generic. I did like that you could use a cpl filter with it. Is the Pentax hood of better quality?
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I got one of those rubber collapsible hoods and the rubber came apart from the ring after very limited use. I was not impressed. Mine was generic. I did like that you could use a cpl filter with it. Is the Pentax hood of better quality?
I've got 5 of them and they are decidedly different in quality. Some are thick and seem substantial and others thin. I do not complain for $3, the fact that filters are a breeze with them, that they store better than any other hood (with the obvious exception of built ins which I love), and I have found which supplier (for now) offers the better quality ones.