Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
opinions on Bigma with HSM but not OS

Does anyone have experience with the HSM but not OS version of the Bigma? I know the current one has OS but I'm wondering about the older version with just HSM. Is the IQ equal to the other iterations? Do the old TCs from the first Bigma work with it?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I know I posted on this lens in 2009 and at that time the concensus was that the Pentax version was not HSM despite the description. Is that still the case, or did Sigma eventually make the Pentax version with HSM?

07-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

As I know, there are only two version of Bigma for PENTAX

1. without OS and HSM

2. with OS and HSM
07-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think Marco is right, I think the Bigma was skipped over during the HSM and OS conversions. While the OS versions are very recent (announced last year, and I know since I bought one the 120-400mm OS version only started being stocked in the US in about February this year), only some lenses received the HSM treatment in the interim. The Bigma was off of shelves entirely for awhile, and re-appeared with both OS and HSM.
07-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #4

I would third Marco, but there are three versions of the 50-500mm available for Pentax :

50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG
50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG APO (sometimes called RF as well)
50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM

At the time of the APO version, there were rumors of an HSM version, but it never went available for Pentax mounts (at least here in Europe), and according to sigma, HSM was never available http://www.sigmaphoto.com/discontinued-lens-chart

Note that the last version (OS + HSM) is totally different from the first ones in its optical formula.

07-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #5

Are you talking about the 150-500mm version maybe? Because that one had a version with the HSM and without OS. I own one and I'm quite pleased with it.
07-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Beerbelly, I do think he was talking about the 50-500mm. Sigma's lens changes in the telephoto dept were very vague when it came to Pentax, so it would be difficult to determine whether they had an HSM only version of that lens. If memory serves correctly, the only lenses that had an HSM only mount for Pentax were the 2 new telephotos, the 120-400mm and 150-500mm - due to that these were the first releases of those particular lenses. The bigma sort of went on hiatus for awhile, dealers had minimal stock if any and it all but disappeared before the newest HSM OS version came on the market early this year (or late last year).
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I was afraid that Pentax had been skipped.

I was indeed talking about the 50-500 Bigma. I have an older one that I like. However, occasionally I wish for HSM focusing so I can be quieter around birds. I saw a Bigma for sale used that was the HSM version (but not OS) for Pentax. I'm guessing now they were just using the accepted description of the lens at that time and the Pentax version didn't really have HSM.

Not sure I want to flip my old Bigma for a new one at twice the price. My old one is just fine for my needs.
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think that Sigma just printed the same boxes for every brand and just puts a sticker on with the mount/brand information.

I have to say for the long lenses, the OS is pretty nice - if you're used to using a tripod it wouldn't be a huge deal, but if you regularly sling the 50-500mm handheld it would be pretty valuable! Also, Their HSM I would arguably say is quieter than SDM, and faster too. The speed is probably more debatable, but with their HSM I struggled to hear it until the AF confirmation light went on. Paired with a K5, I don't think there is a quieter combo available.

07-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of the confusion came from sites like Amazon that listed the Pentax versions as having HSM (because it actually did for other camera brands) when in fact it did not.
07-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
A lot of the confusion came from sites like Amazon that listed the Pentax versions as having HSM (because it actually did for other camera brands) when in fact it did not.
Forget Amazon, Sigma's own site had conflicting information! I think the Sony users had it even worse than we did (I recall the Sony mount having like three asterisk next to it, haha). They are all the same now (although their teleconverters are still messed up, don't have HSM if I recall), at least the lenses themselves make a lot more sense now, at the cost of well, lightening your wallet.

It was terribly confusing. When I got my 120-400mm, it had just begun to be listed on ebay (through 47th st photo) - I called them before ordering. The rep checked their stock and found it was the old model, he then contacted sigma and they confirmed the OS/HSM was coming that week, so the rep pulled my order and personally boxed it for me. That was service!