Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
For me, my wife is my hero for letting me have all those lenses
My other doesn't care as long as I don't spend household money. (Sometimes even donates a little!) And if I don't scatter them around the house. Having no disposable income, I gotta sell something before I can buy something else. Thus have I become an eBay lens trader. Damn, it's time to sell some more so I can buy some more. Oh bother...

09-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got some time to play with PentaconSix lenses: MIR 45mm, Exakta 80mm and Hartblei 150mm.
And here are some application with the tilt setup:

Tilt up or down for changing focus plan, and get the selective sharpness of subject(s):

Tilt left or right; sharp all persons in a row or sharp one person:

Here tilt down and a bit angled, sharp (top of) all books:

The whole set is cheaper than one Canon TS lens. Bulky and heavy, but fun it is.
Anyone have a Flektogon 50 or an Arsat 30? Can't believe that I now collecting P6 medium formats...
09-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #138
Site Supporter

Hoanpham, I am glad to see it is working for you! Did you get the lens repaired, or get a new one? I like your test shots, they look darn good.
09-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #139
Pentaxian

Thanks Nick, i got the new one. Actually i got a whole set with the Kiev88 CM, 3 film mags, 3 view finders, macro tubes, manual flash, the mir, exakta and hartblei. The Mir45 is the worst of all. Any light source and it flares so badly. I will cut a plastic tube Ø75-80 from leftover building materials to a hood.

09-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #140
Site Supporter

Yeah, I couldn't figure out what to do about a hood, but I think one would help a lot, flare is definitely a huge issue with those lenses. Or maybe a Flektogon is the answer! :-)

The 80mm lens is supposed to be good, is that what you used for the dining table shots? Have you tried out the MF body? That seems like a fun road, but one I am trying to stay away from at the moment.
09-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #141
Pentaxian

I haven't tried the Kiev yet, and have no plan to run into film development again, but also depends... ;-)

Both Exakta80f2.8 and Hartblei150f2.8 are good lenses. I found out hood will also help on these, not needed but improved the contrast a bit, especially tilt upward indoor toward lamps or tilt toward/angled the sun.
Once flare had been controlled optimally, the optical quality is impressive. The Hartblei has fine details in 1:1 resolution, better than most (prime) lenses I have. The Exakta is also perfect for portraits.
I first though that tilt at 150mm may not be useful, but found out that tilt can be used to enhance sharpness by changing focus plan a bit.

dinning table shots are Mir45, book shots are Exakta80, I have few 150mm tilt too for longer distance and smaller objects on the table.
sure I try to pick up the Flektogon and Arsat30 MC if they are cheap ;-)
09-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My LBA has taken a strange turn.

Most of my cheap lenses have all been Sears lenses. I did an eBay search for Sears. It pulled up an old Tower 120 camera that was listed as near mint (the sucker still has the box!). I threw my standard $10.50 bid on the thing, and won. Does it still count as LBA when you start adding in old cameras as well that have nothing to do with any lens you could ever fit on your camera?
09-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #143
Pentaxian

I am about that point too... Now looking into possibilities to mod mounts..

09-23-2011, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Does it still count as LBA when you start adding in old cameras as well that have nothing to do with any lens you could ever fit on your camera?
I guess it's a variant CBA. It can get tricky. During an eBay frenzy I ended up with a half-dozen or more classic 620 box and folder cams costing about US$5 each shipped. Quite useless... except that I can fit 135 carts into them for sprocket-hole panos. Now I can't part with any of them. And of course some MF cams can be dissected for their lenses, to be mounted on bellows. So that's a variant LBA. Whatever.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I am about that point too... Now looking into possibilities to mod mounts..
The easy ones are OM and C/Y and Exakta and Nikon. A little chopping with the dremel, and voila!
09-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #145
Pentaxian

Thanks RioRico, which mount is the easiest to mod? And where can i find info/rating those lenses? MF forums?
09-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Thanks RioRico, which mount is the easiest to mod? And where can i find info/rating those lenses? MF forums?
OM and C/Y mounts are simplest/fastest to to mod, followed slightly by NI. All these are 5-minute projects. Exakta takes a few minutes longer because it's the adapter that's modded, not the lens so much. I've written these up a few times here -- someday I should gather these together into one article.

Yes, the Manual Focus Lenses forum is a good resource for such non-Pentax glass. Or if you come across a hot candidate lens cheap, like the Yashica ML 50/1.4 (C/Y mount) that I got for ten bucks, or the Isco Westar 100/4.5 (Exakta mount) that was just a couple bucks more, just google the lens and all sorts of info may pop up, like Capt. Jack's. Many resource sites are out there.
09-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
OM and C/Y mounts are simplest/fastest to to mod, followed slightly by NI. All these are 5-minute projects. Exakta takes a few minutes longer because it's the adapter that's modded, not the lens so much. I've written these up a few times here -- someday I should gather these together into one article.

Yes, the Manual Focus Lenses forum is a good resource for such non-Pentax glass. Or if you come across a hot candidate lens cheap, like the Yashica ML 50/1.4 (C/Y mount) that I got for ten bucks, or the Isco Westar 100/4.5 (Exakta mount) that was just a couple bucks more, just google the lens and all sorts of info may pop up, like Capt. Jack's. Many resource sites are out there.
The Yashica ML 50/1.4 is a superb lens. I would rate just a bit below the Zeiss T* Planar 50/1.4.

YOu're so lucky to get it for ten bucks, they normally goes for $150+ these days on eBay.
09-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
The Yashica ML 50/1.4 is a superb lens. I would rate just a bit below the Zeiss T* Planar 50/1.4.

YOu're so lucky to get it for ten bucks, they normally goes for $150+ these days on eBay.
What can I say? I follow my bid-low bid-often lose-most don't-worry strategy and good stuff falls into my hands. Of course, Fifty's are pretty easy because there are so many of them. Yashinon-DX 50/1.7, Meyer Oreston and Olympus OM 50/1.8, Rikenon and Cosina 50/2, CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (12 iris blades), Petri CC and Mamiya 55/1.8, all around ten bucks. Yashica DSB 50/1.9, Tomioka 55/1.4, Chinon 55/1.7, Super-Tak and Rikenon 55/1.8, all around five bucks or less. Shipped. Kiss enough frogs and you'll get a princess or three, eh?

And then there are the EL's, sometimes four for a dime. Nikkor, Rodenstock, Schneider, Ilex -- no wonder I love these guys! Just a little more for Leitz, Steinheil, Eastman, Zeiss. Pay for the glass, not the focusing mechanism, and they get pretty cheap.

OK everybody, stop drooling. You'll only get your keyboards messy.
09-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #149
Pentaxian

I may get the nikkor 105/1.8 for cheap. The lens cosmetically is badly beaten up. Maybe i should train my hand with the dremel with a 2 bucks lens?
And, i am gladly donor lenses or send you a gift to read a such article ;-)
09-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #150
Veteran Member

I may get the nikkor 105/1.8 for cheap. The lens cosmetically is badly beaten up. Maybe i should train my hand with the dremel with a 2 bucks lens?
And, i am gladly donor lenses or send you a gift to read a such article ;-)
I advise anyone starting with lens mods to START CHEAP! Get a sacrificial donor lens. But most of these mods are pretty easy and foolproof. I am no great lens mechanic nor craftsmen. I can dremel and solder; those are about the limits of my ability. My first mod was a Nikkor 85/2 that cost me US$9, but I was nervous as hell about chopping it. I worked slowly and carefully over a couple days to do that. Now I can finish a Nikon mod in 4 minutes.

I also advise that you get a cheap PK macro tube set. The lens-mount section makes a good test-bed, where you can see what parts of the lens base need cutting or trimming. That is where I discovered how to taper the bayonet flags of OM and C/Y lenses to fit under the PK mount lugs.

A donated lens or other gift? Wow! I guess I should put that article together soonest!

PS: There are a couple types of Exakta mounts: with, or without, an aperture stop-down button hanging on the lens. I tried and failed with one buttoned lens. For an easy mod, just look for those lenses WITHOUT the stop-down button.