Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok. Got a nikkor 50/1.4 cheap, but not cheap enough. Still looking for 2 bucks nikkor in local flea markets... At least i can start reading and looking into nikkor old glasses. Thanks RioRico.
Just curious, are nikkor mount backward compatible with newer DSLR like D700?
Will the Dremel mod still mountable with Nikon bodies?

I have 2 sets of tubes in k mount, 6 different sizes. And a few non working film bodies to play with.

I will start reading everything about nikkor/nikon, but is not very motivated yet... Still have other priorities...

09-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Just curious, are nikkor mount backward compatible with newer DSLR like D700?
Will the Dremel mod still mountable with Nikon bodies?
I don't know about backward compatibility. I've read that certain older lenses work on certain Nikon dSLRs but without metering.

I've run across 3 types of old Nikon mounts, each with a different sort of aperture ring.

* On one, the ring is fairly thin, and the lens can be fitted onto a PK mount with no cutting needed. I do make one cut though, just a slot for the PK locking pin to engage, for security. This is still mountable on a Nikon body.

* On another, the ring is wide; fitted to a PK mount, the ring jams against the camera body. I unscrew the lens base and put 1mm-thick washers under that base, then re-assemble it. It *may* be usable on Nikon but I haven't tried.

* Then there's the AI mount; the ring has two protrusions, what I call the "nub and arc", which engage with the Nikon body. I cut those off with the dremel. The modded lens will probably NOT be usable on a Nikon body. Probably.

QuoteQuote:
I will start reading everything about nikkor/nikon, but is not very motivated yet... Still have other priorities...
Other priorities? Tsk...
09-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Got the other nikkor lens for free ;-) i think they are non ai type, the mount is thinner than pentax's.
What about OM lenses? Anything to worry about them?

My time still limited mostly kids stuff ;-) yes, as long as i have done all my duties.
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Got the other nikkor lens for free ;-) i think they are non ai type, the mount is thinner than pentax's.
Free is good. And I get confused by non-AI vs pre-AI, and AI vs AI/S. I'll have to research Nikkors one of these days. In my copious free time. Right.

QuoteQuote:
What about OM lenses? Anything to worry about them?
I have modded Olympus and Vivitar OM's with no trouble, same as Yashica C/Y's. The trick with OM's is to deal with the stop-down button on the lens side. On my first mod, I removed it and did something (I forget exactly what) to force the iris to stay at the aperture setting. On later mods, I just tape-over the button to force the iris. This allows the lens to still be used in auto mode on OM cameras. No such trick is necessary with C/Y lenses.

Have fun with the kids!

10-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #155

And another one..

After bravely deciding not to buy any more lenses this year (okay, maybe one or two really cheap MFs...) (okay, maybe a Samyang as a Christmas present to myself... ), I just bought a FA 43 on the bay.

At 450€ I just could not resist, the last one I watched went for > 600€!

Is there no hope for us?
10-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
After bravely deciding not to buy any more lenses this year (okay, maybe one or two really cheap MFs...) (okay, maybe a Samyang as a Christmas present to myself... ), I just bought a FA 43 on the bay.

At 450€ I just could not resist, the last one I watched went for > 600€!

Is there no hope for us?
Congrats on your great deal and your lack of willpower!
10-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
My latest is a Vivitar Flat Field 90-180

Vivitar 90-180 f4.5 FF - a set on Flickr

I owned one of those back in the late 70's early 80's. Great lens. My 1st copy had fungus in the lens but was sharper than the 'good' copy I ended up with. All of the lenses I owned then are worth more now though. bizarre.

I sold all of my stuff in '83 and have only now returned to photography. I have 28 years of LBA build-up to deal with.. much worse than I expected and I think I'll have to lock my credit-card in a vault with guards on it to keep me from buying any more. I just ordered a 31LTD and will most likely be returning the Sigma 50 1.4 I bought for it as I just can't get used to the sized of the barrel on that lens. It always feels like I'm going to drop it when the hood is reverse mounted on it and I'm trying to attach it to the camera.

I used to have a MX + Winder and an LX + drive with a sports VF and a couple of screens. A 28mm Shift, 17mm Fish-eye, 15mm Superwide, 300mm Tele, Vivitar Series I 90-180 macro zoom and a few other items. Sold it all to finance my musical aspirations when my money ran out. As you can see by my signature I'm in danger of drowning in debt after only 4 months back in the game.

Last edited by bossa; 10-04-2011 at 09:57 PM.
10-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #158
Veteran Member

I am just successfully converted nikon F mount to fit my Pentax bodies. Again thanks to RioRico and those have done this earlier, for info and motivation. Now I can search for cheap Nikkor lenses too. Any of you have old nikkor, not used, let me have them for a good use ;-) i cover shipping of course.

There are several nikkor, like 105/1.8, 100-range portrait adjustable bokeh, similar to Pentax's K85 soft, that would be awesome to try out.

I am not so good with the Dremel. The mount looks hm, not very nice, but it fits in my ME and K20d.
As for test equipments, I use the M42 Pentax adapter to have a closer look at the bayonet flags, an auto extension tube as test bed, an old defected body to test the result before i mount to the K20. Making the lock pin is harder and that will be the next step. I need to unmount the base and drill a hole on it.
10-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #159
Veteran Member

I am just successfully converted nikon F mount to fit my Pentax bodies. Again thanks to RioRico and those have done this earlier, for info and motivation. Now I can search for cheap Nikkor lenses too. Any of you have old nikkor, not used, let me have them for a good use ;-) i cover shipping of course.
And if you happen to get any extras, I'll be happy to dispose of them for you.
10-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #160
Veteran Member

And now just finish the nikkor 50/1.4, with locking hole. Awesome lens.

This one is AI-S. The mount is as for non-AI, but i have to shave away the sticking out metal on the barrel, and the metal piece sticking out inside the lens that hit the body box of K20d. This lens can be mounted on nikon body, but advantage of ai-s is limited. It will function as a non ai lens, but i have no D700 body to test it ;-)

I also dismount the mount, mod it, and mount it back. There is one screw at the bottom that only hold the tension spring, and not suppose to remove this screw. There are only 4 screws to deal with, and a guiding screw tiny tiny...

RioRico, sure i try get some cheap lens lot and let you know :-)
I feel more confident than before. But still not sure if i want to destroy the mount of Zuiko 55/1.2 And the zuiko 35shift... They are as new...
10-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #161
Veteran Member

RioRico, sure i try get some cheap lens lot and let you know :-)
I feel more confident than before. But still not sure if i want to destroy the mount of Zuiko 55/1.2 And the zuiko 35shift... They are as new...
Yes, those Zuikos are probably worth too much to chop up. I guess you should get a NEX to use them on, eh?
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #162
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just bought a set of 3 broken lenses including a Vivitar 28mm f2. I took it apart, cleaned the aperture blades, but now I don't know how to put it back together.
I should have just sent it to a professional instead of trying it myself.
10-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was about to post how I won a lens real cheap except someone sniped me!

Now I'm suffering withdrawl from my addiction from being blocked at the last moment... O_o
10-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I was about to post how I won a lens real cheap except someone sniped me!

Now I'm suffering withdrawl from my addiction from being blocked at the last moment... O_o
Yeah I lost out on a K50/1.2 but that's how it goes. Sorry you didn't get your new toy. My latest is a Rokinon 14mm from the forums.