Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very good Adrian...

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Well heres a 12-Step program for you all... Agnostic and Humanitarian in nature

1. We accept the fact that all our efforts to stop buying Lenses have failed.
2. We believe that we must turn elsewhere for help besides Marketplace, Craigslist, Goodwill and eBay.
3. We turn to our fellow men and women with interchangeable lens systems, particularly those who have K-Mounts.
4. We have made a list of the situations in which we are most likely to buy lenses.
5. We ask our friends to help us avoid these situations.
5.5 Unless we insist its a really good deal for that Tak.

6. We are ready to accept the help they give us.
7. We earnestly hope that they will help.
7.5 Excepting 5.5 Above!

8. We have made a list of the persons we have purchased good lenses from and whom we hope everyone else avoids any future dealings with.
9. We shall do all we can to make recommendations to others, in any way that will not cause further shortages of good quality Takumars.
10. We will continue to make such lists and revise them as needed.
11. We appreciate what our friends have done and are doing to help us.
12. We, in turn, are ready to help others who may come to us in the same way.

07-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I started expanding beyond the acquired kit with a Zenitar MC 16/2.8... Does that mean I'm going to be hooked on soviet lenses ?
It is easy to get hooked, my gateway lens was a Jupiter-9 85mm that I love, then I moved on to the Zenitar 16mm that I really love, now I'm eying a Photosniper kit and maybe a Tair-11. I also keep seeing those cheap Industar 50-2 and I am intrigued, they are so utilitarian and basic, but can produce beautiful images.

Though, I scored a Lentar 21mm f3.8 and a Rexatar 135mm f2.8 today at a thift store for $15 and $13 respectively, so I might be able to hold off on the soviet lenses for a little while.
07-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It is easy to get hooked, my gateway lens was a Jupiter-9 85mm that I love, then I moved on to the Zenitar 16mm that I really love, now I'm eying a Photosniper kit and maybe a Tair-11. I also keep seeing those cheap Industar 50-2 and I am intrigued, they are so utilitarian and basic, but can produce beautiful images.
Let's see, I think my acquisition order was I-50, then J-9, then Z-16. Never got around to the Photosniper (I have a substitute) nor the T-11 (but I have a nifty J-11 instead). I'm on my second I-50 -- the first needed CLA, was too sticky to focus, so I went for its most common use: put it on 50mm of cheap tubes for splendid 1:1 macro. Then I sold that I-50 for the price (shipped!) of a much newer-cleaner I-50-2. Yes, I'm happy with that wee bugger.

QuoteQuote:
Though, I scored a Lentar 21mm f3.8 and a Rexatar 135mm f2.8 today at a thift store for $15 and $13 respectively, so I might be able to hold off on the soviet lenses for a little while.
That's a super deal on the Lentar! (Made by Tokina, often badged as Vivitar, Soligor, etc -- mine was US$23 shipped.) I had the Rexatar, cost me all of ONE BUCK! But the aperture was stuck wide open and I couldn't use it. So I sold it for two bucks. My only other Rexatar was a 200/3.5; I didn't like the PF but my buyeer didn't care, and loved its sharpness. So your Rex might be a winner! Let us know, eh?

My name is RioRico and I am an optics junkie. So what?!?!?!?
07-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's a super deal on the Lentar! (Made by Tokina, often badged as Vivitar, Soligor, etc -- mine was US$23 shipped.) I had the Rexatar, cost me all of ONE BUCK! But the aperture was stuck wide open and I couldn't use it. So I sold it for two bucks. My only other Rexatar was a 200/3.5; I didn't like the PF but my buyeer didn't care, and loved its sharpness. So your Rex might be a winner! Let us know, eh?
I knew the Lentar was decent, I'd checked them out before when researching cheap wide angles. I figured I couldn't go wrong on the Rexatar for the price, it has to be better than my Suntar, at least it can focus reasonably close. They are both in mint condition, they look like they've been in their cases for the past 20 years. They were put out at Value Village on 6/30, if I'd waited until 7/30, they would have been half price, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Last edited by elliott; 07-23-2011 at 03:15 PM.
07-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I knew the Lentar was decent, I'd checked them out before when researching cheap wide angles. I figured I couldn't go wrong on the Rextar, it has to be better than my Suntar, at least it can focus reasonably close. They are both in mint condition, they look like they've been in their cases for the past 20 years. They were put out at Value Village on 6/30, if I'd waited until 7/30, they would have been half price, but I didn't want to take the chance.
I've seen the 21/3.8 sell in the US$50-100 region lately. I think it is THE bargain wide-angle! Set aperture to f/11, prefocus at 2m for DOF from 1m to infinity -- it's a perfect bright-street lens. Tricky part is finding a reasonable 72mm hood. I found a set-screw Tamron rubber hood that lives on the lens now.

My Rex135 close-focused to 1.5m. I had a Suntar 135/2.8 too, CF=2m. I sold it (at a slight loss) because it flunked my PF test. And I thought I had too many cheap 135s. (What a fool I was!) Yeah, when you see a usable bargain, don't wait. They can evaporate quickly.
07-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No no no, I swear it's not LBA but RBS (redundant backup strategy)!
  • I have the DA16-45 and 50-200wr when AF and IQ matter (on my budget they're grrrrrrrrreat!)
  • then an 18-200 for 'versatility' (meaning it's for when I haven't a clue what I'll be shooting 'til it happens )
  • and a mess of primes for top quality, take-your-time shots (though only the DA35 can handle flare )
Really do need to get below 24mm though.. and maybe a 60-90 cover.. I sure am lucky to be on a tight budget
And OK, I can't explain the 28-105 Vivitar 1-touch in this strategy - so just a low-grade LB fever perhaps?
07-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Looks like the Rexatar is a dud, it has some haze on one of the internal elements that wasn't visible in the store with the fluorescent lighting. It is very, very soft and flares really bad. I've taken it apart and have tried cleaning the offending element, but nothing I've used has touched it so far. I'm going to try soaking it in some lighter fluid tomorrow, I don't have any handy.

Oh well, I ended up with a great Lentar, so I'm counting it as a win overall. I'm going to have to remember to keep an incandescent flashlight with me for checking lenses, didn't realize something like that wouldn't show up well in fluorescent.
07-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I'm going to have to remember to keep an incandescent flashlight with me for checking lenses, didn't realize something like that wouldn't show up well in fluorescent.
Ah, you didn't read my article: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

07-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #54
Veteran Member

The only thing that keeps my LBA in check is living overseas in a country where I still am illiterate in the local language. Any Ebay purchase has to first be sent to my mom's and I think I've used up my lifetime of favors with the first 10 lens purchases.

And you have to believe me when I say that it killed me not to get involved in the Ebay auction that ended minutes ago. A poorly labeled auction selling a K300/4, K35/3.5, K55/1.8 and a M80-200. Forget about already having 2 Tak 35's (not a proud moment...), 2 - 50's and no plans to actually use the K300 since telephoto's are not my thing. yet...

I think I'm finished buying for awhile now. I recently picked up a M50/2 to complete my light, fast and potentially dirty travel kit of M's (M28/2.8, M50/2 and M135/3.5). And I won a M 50/4 Macro for $62 to start a new world of photography.

My lens expansion plans:
more takumars
a 50/1.4 takumar or pentax
an 85 takumar or pentax but these aren't cheap (>$200 easily)
a 90-100mm macro - I loved the panagor 90mm (and variants) in the macro Lens Club
Helios 58mm - I dunno why but I want it
And then there are all of the other brands...

And who doesn't want a few limiteds (like the DA15 and DA 35 or 40) - unlikely in the near future

but first I have some accessories to get. Like a really good tripod.
07-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #55
Inactive Account

I have, but I just happened to stop at the Value Village on the way back from a car show, I didn't exactly plan on going. I need an incandescent flashlight to keep with me, I had an LED one in the car, but that doesn't show haze very well either.
07-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
The only thing that keeps my LBA in check is living overseas in a country where I still am illiterate in the local language. Any Ebay purchase has to first be sent to my mom's and I think I've used up my lifetime of favors with the first 10 lens purchases.

And you have to believe me when I say that it killed me not to get involved in the Ebay auction that ended minutes ago. A poorly labeled auction selling a K300/4, K35/3.5, K55/1.8 and a M80-200. Forget about already having 2 Tak 35's (not a proud moment...), 2 - 50's and no plans to actually use the K300 since telephoto's are not my thing. yet...

I think I'm finished buying for awhile now. I recently picked up a M50/2 to complete my light, fast and potentially dirty travel kit of M's (M28/2.8, M50/2 and M135/3.5). And I won a M 50/4 Macro for $62 to start a new world of photography.

My lens expansion plans:
more takumars
a 50/1.4 takumar or pentax
an 85 takumar or pentax but these aren't cheap (>$200 easily)
a 90-100mm macro - I loved the panagor 90mm (and variants) in the macro Lens Club
Helios 58mm - I dunno why but I want it
And then there are all of the other brands...

And who doesn't want a few limiteds (like the DA15 and DA 35 or 40) - unlikely in the near future

but first I have some accessories to get. Like a really good tripod.
Oh I wish I would have seen that auction, and you want a helios because they are plain awesome.
07-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Oh I wish I would have seen that auction, and you want a helios because they are plain awesome.
To find those auctions you need to sift thru 100's if not 1000's of listings. If there aren't any lemons I'm guessing that the lot of 4 lenses is worth at least 50% more than the selling price. Possibly 100% more. But selling isn't fun although I like the Rio purchase plan. Only buy with earlier profits.

But seriously just take my internet away. I let a SMC 55/1.8 tak buy it now ($23+14shipping) expire yesterday. And he relisted at $15+14 shipping. SOLD.
07-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #58
Site Supporter

You guys are lucky... you can keep your LBA under control with great deals on classic, used lenses. I hope to reach that stage one day, but right now I'm still buying new... which means I purchase less often but with greater impact on my bank account. Just yesterday, I pulled the trigger on a 100mm f/2.8 macro WR. It should arrive at mid-week.
07-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #59
Inactive Account

Nothing wrong with that.. The 100 is a fantastic lens.

07-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
You guys are lucky... you can keep your LBA under control with great deals on classic, used lenses. I hope to reach that stage one day, but right now I'm still buying new... which means I purchase less often but with greater impact on my bank account. Just yesterday, I pulled the trigger on a 100mm f/2.8 macro WR. It should arrive at mid-week.
That's terrific. Speaking as a used lens LBA guy - we NEED folks to buy great new lenses.