Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The DA 40 is only 1 stop (effectively) slower than the FA 50. Don't believe me? Check the exposures.
I disagree. I just tried it (out of curiosity after reading your post), and identical shots of an evenly illuminated wall were identical with the 50/1.4 at f/1.4, 1/60s as the 40/2.8 at f/2.8, 1/15s (which is exactly two stops different, as it should be).

08-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
(~150 lenses, 2 enlargers/darkroom, 5 tripods, no less than 10 flashes, around 20 working bodies)
That's a good start.

QuoteQuote:
Q: What would you "thin out" of first:
This being a Pentax board, we'll advise you to ditch the Canons first. I did. They paid for many Pentax lenses, heh heh. And instead of offing usable lenses, I *use* them, with my lens-of-the-day strategy. Don't let them languish!

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
A 28mm f2 would be very nice, but for the prices they go for (NB: manual focus, manual exposure lenses) they are hardly worth it IMHO.
My Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA cost me all of US$18 shipped. That was the same week I won a Vivitar-Kiron 28/2.5 for US$20 and a Tamron BBAR 28/2.5 (with A2-KM adapter) for US$4 shipped. Now, the KM-mount Vivitar-Kiron 24/2, that was a bit more (like US$130) but well worth it. At least, it seems sharper and brighter than the Paragon-Cimko 24/2.8 (US$10).
08-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's a good start.
This being a Pentax board, we'll advise you to ditch the Canons first. I did. They paid for many Pentax lenses, heh heh. And instead of offing usable lenses, I *use* them, with my lens-of-the-day strategy. Don't let them languish!
It's more like an intermediate state ... I got rid of around 40 lenses (mostly 50/2 PKA and PKM, FA zooms, mean price $50/ea) and no less than 32 bodies (K1000s, K7) this summer. So I am self-medicating Unfortunately I find way too many good deals on lenses (and I can't stop it), so this is highly transient.
I also try to use most of the remaining set, however I am really getting tired of traveling with 50lbs of gear. And with two small kids around time is really precious ... I need to invent a Pentax Bayonet turret ... haha.

As for the Canon F1n, taking photos with one is like firing a Kalashnikov - one you start you can't really stop. I'm playing with an LX, and it lacks some of the F1n magic. Highly addictive camera, but at least the Contax is a good match So you're probably right, I'll hit that first, along with some redundant -Ms and Taks. The question is, what to get rid of after.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I sold another 15 lenses and 5 bodies on ebay in late winter/early spring this year. See a pattern? I'm working on the monumental task of photographing all the canon gear and lenses (4 bodies, around 15 lenses, plus another 10 lenses I have duplicates of). Wife is really confused, though ...

EDIT#2: A photo of the latest "victims" getting ready for ebay ...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by photocanadian; 09-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.
09-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Canon 0 - Pentax 1. The beast is on the 'bay (and youtube). I will miss its 4.5 lbs of pure awesomeness ...

09-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Well, compared to all previous posters I seem to have the most serious level of LBA adding to CBA (Camera Buying Addiction) and FBA (Flash Buying Addiction).

In short, I have a buying addiction, period.

LBA: 450+ lenses. I ceased counting them a while ago
CBA: 6 DSLR's on top of 40+ MF bodies
FBA: 20 old flashes (mainly old Vivitar and Nikon SB)

My ultimate goal is to sell and scale down my lenses collection to 250 by mid-2012.
09-07-2011, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
3 more lenses to sell and I will be down to 11, and all my friends think I am crazy.
09-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
3 more lenses to sell and I will be down to 11, and all my friends think I am crazy.
Yeah, all my friends have only one camera apiece. Only One Camera! Ooooh, I made myself a little sick.
09-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've noticed I've been accumulating oddball bodies and lenses from stuff that was bundled along with lenses I was after. Somehow I have an old Minolta body (but no lenses), a Canon lens (but no body), and no less than three old Pentax film bodies (two K1000's and an A3000 - the A3000 looks like its in near perfect condition, I just haven't had the desire to buy film for it. A 4 pack of film and development will pay for another lens!!) This is not counting the two ancient P&S's that they don't even make film for anymore.

I'm also starting to notice odd looks from my wife when I start a sentence "I spotted a lens on eBay so I made a bid...". That's a symptom of LBA, right?

09-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Well, compared to all previous posters I seem to have the most serious level of LBA adding to CBA (Camera Buying Addiction) and FBA (Flash Buying Addiction).

In short, I have a buying addiction, period.

LBA: 450+ lenses. I ceased counting them a while ago
CBA: 6 DSLR's on top of 40+ MF bodies
FBA: 20 old flashes (mainly old Vivitar and Nikon SB)

My ultimate goal is to sell and scale down my lenses collection to 250 by mid-2012.
Over at MFLenses.Com you would be a piker. At least one member there has admitted to 1000+ lenses. In a poll, members AVERAGED 100+ lenses each. And my bro-in-law has hundreds of cameras, I don't think he even knows how many. You're a bit ahead of me on cameras, 'way ahead of me on flashes -- but what's your position in camera bags, hey?

My LBA|CBA is in remission at the moment 'cause I'm out of money. When I get more money, I'll get more gear. It's as simple as that. Scale down? HA!
09-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. I currently have 6 lenses and 2 more on the way from Amazon.com.
This is getting ridiculous. It seems like I keep hunting for lenses online.

I think I'll have to upgrade my body (K-x) to a K-5 soon, because my eyes are getting tired due to manual lenses I keep oogling at.
To think that I was happy with a k-x with its kit lens at one point...

Why couldn't I stay that way?
09-08-2011, 05:21 AM   #116
Pentaxian

I don't have as many lenses (still under 3 digits), nor as many flashes, nor as many bodies, but got some monster lenses for use with the tilt adapter (Thank you Nick Siebers for the adapter ;-)

09-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Over at MFLenses.Com you would be a piker. At least one member there has admitted to 1000+ lenses. In a poll, members AVERAGED 100+ lenses each. And my bro-in-law has hundreds of cameras, I don't think he even knows how many. You're a bit ahead of me on cameras, 'way ahead of me on flashes -- but what's your position in camera bags, hey?

My LBA|CBA is in remission at the moment 'cause I'm out of money. When I get more money, I'll get more gear. It's as simple as that. Scale down? HA!
Haha true, MF folks are much more addicted. As for camera bags, I think I have around 10, mostly Crumpler messengers.

Well I need to scale down to buy more expensive lenses. I'm have a little penchant for the T* series and that's a big problem.
09-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Haha true, MF folks are much more addicted. As for camera bags, I think I have around 10, mostly Crumpler messengers.
Well, I'm almost even with you on bags -- but no Crumplers.

QuoteQuote:
Well I need to scale down to buy more expensive lenses. I'm have a little penchant for the T* series and that's a big problem.
Who needs T*'s when we have S-M-C Takumars?
09-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Who needs T*'s when we have S-M-C Takumars?
I'll probably get flammed here but don't get me wrong, while the SMC Takumars are excellent for what they are, I don't think they are on the same league as the T*.

Take the T*85/1.4 for example, while I have the SMC 85/f1.8 and ST 85/f1.9 (2 copies each), they don't even come close to the T*85/1.4 in term of sharpness, color rendering and boked.

I would agree that in term of best bang for the buck and build quality, the Taks are unbeatable.
09-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I don't have as many lenses (still under 3 digits), nor as many flashes, nor as many bodies, but got some monster lenses for use with the tilt adapter (Thank you Nick Siebers for the adapter ;-)
And that's pretty awesome! The tilt adapter is on my get-it-eventually list. Gotta sell some stuff first. Or maybe I can build one.

I'll probably get flammed here but don't get me wrong, while the SMC Takumars are excellent for what they are, I don't think they are on the same league as the T*.
No, you won't "get flammed here" but your artistic license may be revoked.

OK, so it's your turn to inflame our expensive LBA. Why are T*'s better than S-M-C Taks? Should I rob a minimart to raise the cash to buy some?