Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I am hoping that I can stop soon...I have a Tamron 17-50mm, DA* 50-135mm, FA 50mm f1.4, 77mm Limited, Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro, DA* 200mm, and a 31mm Limited coming. I also have a crappy Tamron 70-300mm...I am itching to get the 43mm to complete my collection though (and maybe an ultra-wide).

"To complete my collection" How many times I, and many others, have said that.

(no disrespect intended)

07-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

Hi I'm Kevin and I have LBA.

Purchases in the last 5-6 weeks include a Cosina 28-70/4 macro , SMC A 28/2.8 and Super Tak 105/2.8. My MF skills are seemingly coming along nicely (they had better be) !

It is you who bought my smc A 28 2.8, yeah. What can I say.

For years I had but TWO lenses. CAN YOU IMAGINE. That is, there WERE of course more . But they were my husbands. And then there was the legion of old family members'ss, in boxes, in the attic. But where on earth was there time to even use them, let alone peace of mind. Try raising 3 autistic sons. Well, they grew up sorts of(though still wrecking the home)(couldn't live without them, though), so, two years ago with help of a bit of family money I WENT DIGITAL. My, somehow I think that is synonymus to HOARDING. I started using all these lenses and fell pray to real lba. But as most of it was already in the house ..... it only needed dragging some more into it. Which wasn't too difficult, thanks to a steady money supply from loving deceasing family members, .. and we already weren't really "wanting".
And then there were the modern lenses. My husband was so happy I was with Pentax, relatively compact compared to, well, Nikon, or so. But he had prefered me to turn Leica, nicely expansive, so, not that lens cluthering. Just a few.

BUT. I have come to my senses and started a brand new life. REALLY.

I have started to sell off again and not buying new stuff anymore. NO MORE LENS HOARDING!!! for me. I can live with the 50 more so I have now. I should really count them. But if I were RioRico I wouldn't, that would be a waist of precious time, simply too many.

On the other hand, many is a changing in photography land, and thrilling new products overflowing the market, many of them need lenses, too. And there are so many exciting camera stores around me and my husband has to go to the USA for his job and that would mean that no taxes, a bit lower prices and then I would maybe, could try, yeah, I think that I should make him, yeah, oh and that one .......

Bummer. He says he has no time left.

Good luck all of you. Life is wonderful.
07-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #18
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
"To complete my collection" How many times I, and many others, have said that.
I will possibly mean it next time I say it though... maybe after I get the FA31.
07-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #19
Forum Member

Hi ... my name is Vu and I have LBA
I'm afraid it's too late for me to stay away from this dreaded affliction and even before my very first dSLR (K-r) have arrived, I already bought a DA21. In my stable right now, I have from the film days A50 f1.7, A28-135 f4, Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4

Please help me ... I am on a slippery slope, sliding toward the 3 (or 4) Limited collection. I am lusting after the DA70, DA40 and possibly a DA15.

Being married with two kids and mortgage, car payments ... etc, I do not have the flexibility to make discretionary purchases as this ..

HELP ME !!! ... am afraid resistance is futile !!!!

07-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What defines a person as having LBA?

We all know what LBA stands for, Lens Buying Addiction.

But what really defines a person as having LBA.

Are we buying lenses simply for the sake of buying lenses, or are we buying lenses for some specific purpose? If there is a purpose, and it is a good purpose, based upon photographic needs, then even if you might have bought 20 lenses, you don't necessairly have an addiction. (at least not to buying lenses, but perhaps to photography as a hobby?)

I have something like 43 lenses and 6 K mount SLRs and DSLRs. just on quantity, I could be considered as having LBA CBA and a whole load of other "A's", but, there has been some real method to my madness.

First of all, in 30 years of photography I have never sold anything, but also, I have generally bought quality items, which last. Everything I own still works properly, although I have not used 2 of my film bodies now for quite some time.

With lenses, these have been aquired slowly, with systematic upgrades, using the concept that newer lenses had to be longer, faster wider, ... than what i previously had.

Moving to digital, I needed a UWA so I got a 10-20, I then replaced my MF 28-80 and 70-210 lenses with AF ones at F2.8,

Primes had to be faster than my AF zooms, so except for one or two $10 lenses my MF lenses are ranging from F1.4 to F2.5.

I have added some brand new lenses not just used ones, specifically the samyang 8mm fisheye, 14mm F2.8 and 85mm F1.4. all of these are amazing performers for the price and get a lot of use.

The only real "addiction" came as I decided to build an M42 collection. But to make it special, it has some completely different optical approaches. I have 3 preset lenses, 105, 135 and 200mm, all have round apertures at all F stops, and have quite differrent bokeh than newer lenses. they are a little purpose built, but have something different, that has been the approach with my M42 lenses, where possible get something different, unique etc...

My latest purchase, after nothing for almost a year, was bought by chance, as I almost tripped over a Tamron 200-500F5.6 which came with the complete kit, 2 nikon adpators, a PKA adaptor, both front and rear filters and the 2x TC. As I shoot wild life, this lens has a lot of potential use. Am I addicted or just buying smart?
07-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My name is RioRicoh and I am an optics junkie.

My name is RioRicoh and I am a role model.
Hi RioRico! The place would not be legitimate if you were not here! Welcome.
07-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
I don't know how you guys manage to collect so many. I only have 5 usable lenses and 2 others in need of serious cleaning and/or repairs. I am however, in need of a good wide angle and a telephoto of at least 300mm. If I wasn't married I would have them and more. So, do I have latent LBA?
Not really latent so much as repressed.

07-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
But what really defines a person as having LBA.

Are we buying lenses simply for the sake of buying lenses, or are we buying lenses for some specific purpose? If there is a purpose, and it is a good purpose, based upon photographic needs, then even if you might have bought 20 lenses, you don't necessairly have an addiction.
Oh so not true Lowell .... we invent specific purposes to match the jewel of our current desire
07-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The LBA Club
I can't join as I don't have LBA, cos I already got all I want........................................

signed "a deluded person in the Highlands of Scotland".
07-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
Pentaxian

My frenzy has shifted from zooms to m-type primes. I have recently won 135+200 smc-m and a sears/rikenon xr 50/1.4 for $50-ish apiece.. so bargain primes have been much better hunting for me recently!
07-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Well heres a 12-Step program for you all... Agnostic and Humanitarian in nature

1. We accept the fact that all our efforts to stop buying Lenses have failed.
NO - I HAVE MADE NO SUCH ATTEMPT.

2. We believe that we must turn elsewhere for help besides Marketplace, Craigslist, Goodwill and eBay.
NO - EBAY IS ALMOST ENOUGH FOR ME.

3. We turn to our fellow men and women with interchangeable lens systems, particularly those who have K-Mounts.
NO - I BUY FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE GIVEN UP.

4. We have made a list of the situations in which we are most likely to buy lenses.
YES - I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE TO GO, AND WHEN.

5. We ask our friends to help us avoid these situations.
NO - I HAVE NO FRIENDS, ONLY PHOTOGRAPHIC SUBJECTS.

5.5 Unless we insist its a really good deal for that Tak.
YES - A TAK IS ALMOST ALWAYS A GOOD DEAL.

6. We are ready to accept the help they give us.
MAYBE - ONLY IF THEY OFFER A GOOD DISCOUNT.

7. We earnestly hope that they will help.
7.5 Excepting 5.5 Above!
MAYBE - I'LL TAKE ALMOST ANY LENS THAT SOMEONE ELSE DOESN'T WANT>

8. We have made a list of the persons we have purchased good lenses from and whom we hope everyone else avoids any future dealings with.
NO - I LOOK FOR CURRENT DEALS, NOT PAST BARGAINS.

9. We shall do all we can to make recommendations to others, in any way that will not cause further shortages of good quality Takumars.
TAKS ARE ONLY IN SHORT SUPPLY BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH YET.

10. We will continue to make such lists and revise them as needed.
NO - LISTS ARE TOO MUCH TROUBLE. IF IT LOOKS GOOD, BUY IT.

11. We appreciate what our friends have done and are doing to help us.
AS LONG AS THEY DON'T BLOCK THE LIGHT.

12. We, in turn, are ready to help others who may come to us in the same way.
I GIVE ADVICE ON BUYING CHEAP, BUT IT'S EVERY ADDICT FOR THEMSELVES.
I'll take 12 steps towards a pawnshop now.
07-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I started of on the wrong foot.

My name is not PentaxMom Felua, but who cares. I have been deep into Pentax ever since my dad gave me a Spotmatic. I'm still not sure if he should have done that.
And I do not have LBA, since I just sold another one. And I refuse to be serious about the matter nomatter what. I will always search for beautiful glass, because a good red wine deserves a fine glass. And nothing better than to memorize good moments with a good piece of glass.
Cheers.
07-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
My latest is a Vivitar Flat Field 90-180

Vivitar 90-180 f4.5 FF - a set on Flickr

Man wasn't that like a week ago? I've bought two lenses and a camera since then. I am kenafein and I have LBA. I want to buy an ultrawide angle lens but 'deals' that I can't really afford keep popping up that I cannot resist.
07-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I can't join as I don't have LBA, cos I already got all I want........................................

signed "a deluded person in the Highlands of Scotland".
We're here for you when you're ready.
07-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I don't count lenses and cameras anymore, I just estimate. For that matter, I just estimate the # of formats. Does 110 film and 4/3 digital count as 1 format or 2? I do have a spread sheet with s# etc when & where purchased and how disposed of later if that occurs.

I have my "every day" gear and then I also have a "working collection" as well. I use my gear in work related tasks as well as a "hobby." The working collection is a 3rd part of that and I do have a rationale that has gone into this that started in 1977 when I was in Junior High.