Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My name is RioRicoh and I am an optics junkie.

Current lens count is ~215. And another ~110 I've sold to help pay for the keepers.
Lens count doesn't include various meniscus and other lens-like optical materials I use.
Current camera count is ~45. And another ~30 I've sold to help pay for the keepers.
Probably won't be more cameras anytime soon, but the lenses keep rolling in and out.
Current sell list is ~15 lenses and half that many cameras. Gotta make room for more.
A bunch of binocs & 'scopes; a f*ckload of filters. And probably more that I've forgotten.

(That sounds like a lot; but some members here have more 50's than I have lenses.)

But photography doesn't exist on cameras and glass alone. Much much more is needed.
Maybe ~10 light systems; a pile of 'pods; a batch of bellows; a maelstrom of macro tubes.
And there are tote bags, darkroom gear, a zillion adapters, and necessary spare parts.
And no closet. Everything is on shelves, or in front of them, where I won't trip over stuff.
I didn't seek it ALL out. Much was inherited or gifted. But most of it is my own damn fault.

(This all sounds expensive; but it cost less than a new 645D. I really am a cheap bastard.)

My name is RioRicoh and I am a role model.
Hi There, my name is DigiMack (Just call me Mack for short) and I thought I had LBA - my wife told me I had LBA, CBA and a bunch of other BA's, but now, compared to the "hard cases" entered here, I know know that I am OK. I only have eleven cameras and about 20 or 25 lenses, which- when averaged out, is only a little more than two lenses per camera - - NOT TOO MANY.
So since I am ok, I will just express my sincere condolence to the rest of you.

07-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks to all, especially RioRicoh.

I feel so much better now, my paltry 7 cameras and 70+ lenses, along with all of the other accessories, used to have my wife constantly looking at me over the top of her glasses anytime another package arrived at the door. All I have to do know is print out this thread, mount it, frame it and hang it on the living room wall and all is good.
07-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
If the criteria used here were applied to me then I would not have LBA either with only a dozen or so lenses. I had 3 Pentax film cameras - gave two of them to a film class at a Univ. and threw one out (you really did NOT want that one). So, I guess I shouldn't be here either.................

ROFL

In the past few months I have purchased 6 lenses, a bellows unit, a flash, multiple filters, a new bag, a tripod head, and paid to have 3 old lenses CLA'd. Of course I have LBA.......
07-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #34

Hi,

My name is clover, I think I have LBA.
It is very very agressive for me, so I even incite friends to buy lenses.

My last weakness...

Buying the 21mm, 40mm and 70mm DA limited, in silver color... Event I already have 31mm, 43mm and 77mm in black color...

Sorry, I am very ashame...

07-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #35

You people are messed up. I don't have a problem. I can quit whenever I want. Yeah I bought a Sigma 10-20 a couple of weeks ago and a Tamron 90 Macro today but I'm not hurting anybody. That's my business. So I've only had a DSLR for less than a year and I've got a large collection that includes several limited lenses that I occasionally take out and fondle before hiding them back in the closet so my wife doesn't see. Big deal. Who cares. I certainly don't need advice from the like of you people. :-)

I hope everyone realizes this was all meant to be funny.
07-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
You people are messed up. I don't have a problem. I can quit whenever I want. Yeah I bought a Sigma 10-20 a couple of weeks ago and a Tamron 90 Macro today but I'm not hurting anybody. That's my business. So I've only had a DSLR for less than a year and I've got a large collection that includes several limited lenses that I occasionally take out and fondle before hiding them back in the closet so my wife doesn't see. Big deal. Who cares. I certainly don't need advice from the like of you people. :-)

I hope everyone realizes this was all meant to be funny.
Of course it was. We understand. Remember, facing up to LBA is the first step to a clear vision of where you want to go.
07-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #37
Veteran Member

So what are the "Gateway" lenses to this horrible addiction anyway ? Older SMC-A's ? Your first M42 that works to Infinity ?

Sounds like it might be the 50's... First one is free (almost)..

I started expanding beyond the acquired kit with a Zenitar MC 16/2.8... Does that mean I'm going to be hooked on soviet lenses ?

07-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
So what are the "Gateway" lenses to this horrible addiction anyway ? Older SMC-A's ? Your first M42 that works to Infinity ?

I started expanding beyond the acquired kit with a Zenitar MC 16/2.8... Does that mean I'm going to be hooked on soviet lenses ?
2 lens kit for me. Nobody NEEDS 2 lenses.......

And to answer your other question: Da.
07-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Again,
Thought about it during the nite, and decided that even though I don't have LBA myself (Ref. yesterday's post), I must do what I can do to help those who think they do. -I am offering to help those who suffer so.
I will relieve you of your burdens by accepting all those lenses you must discard to come clean. In fact, as a token of my sincere generosity I may even pay shipping and a small sum for all nice copies of the FA*300mm f/2.8 or the FA*80-200mm f/2.8.
Yea, sweet of me, I know. But please hold your praise.
07-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote

Y'know, I've forgotten my gateway lens, and whether it was MF or AF. My original K20D-360AF kit was DA10-17, DA18-250, FA50/1.4, so I had 10-250 covered and a low-light lens. That should have been enough. Where did I go wrong? [/me leafs through receipts] Hmmm, looks like my first venture into folly was a bodycap pinhole for US$28 shipped. No, that wasn't enough to trigger LBA.

Ah, but my very next eBay receipt reveals the truth: a bagful of lenses and cameras for US$30 plus $10 shipping. Except for the Yashica Electro 35 GSN and Kodak Instamatic 500, they were all M42: Hanimex Praktica TL with Hanimex 28/2.8 and progrip; Argus (Chinon) CR-3E with Argus (Chinon) 55/1.7 and progrip; Sigma 24/2.8; Hanimar 135/2.8; Vivitar (Komine) 90/2.8 macro; Vivitar 2x TC; and a pile of filters, and the camera bag, and some flash.

I later sold the Instamatic for US$36, the Hanimex TL+28/2.8 for $20, the Hanimar 135/2.8 for $10, the progrips for $5 each, and the TC for $4, so I made US$40 on the deal. 100% profit! Yeah, THAT is what got me hooked. FREE LENSES! (Hay kid, try this, the first shot is free!) And then I had to start dealing to support my habit. Y'all know the rest.

QuoteQuote:
Yes. First the small stuff, the Industar-50 and Helios-44; then the Jupiters; then the Vegas; then the Mirs; then you're doomed. Watch out for when you bid on a half-dozen Industar-61's, and you win them ALL! And then you find they're LTM / L39 not M39, and they won't work on your PK cam. So you buy a Fed-5 to use them on. And now you have a Leica-mount camera, so you might as well buy some more LTM glass. Hello, Elmar. Howdy, Hektor. Greetings, comrade Jupiter-8. Welcome to the party. Have another one? Sure, don't mind if I do!

[/me can always quit, yes indeed... /me is not in denial, no no...]

Last edited by RioRico; 07-22-2011 at 09:28 AM.
07-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah... That's why that little Industar 61 doesn't work on my Pentax. I thought: If the screw fits...

I bought it, because it was pretty, shine and dirt cheap.

Anyways, I use a ebay app for my smartphone, so I can search for lenses during my lunchbreak. AND I'm looking for a extra body to mod for infrared. Like a IST or a K10d.
07-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Man wasn't that like a week ago? I've bought two lenses and a camera since then. I am kenafein and I have LBA. I want to buy an ultrawide angle lens but 'deals' that I can't really afford keep popping up that I cannot resist.
A few weeks ago, yes. I'll always have LBA or rather LWA... Lens Want Addiction... The buying part comes when I have spare cash to pay for things. That usually requires selling something I already have but don't use. That Vivitar cost me one of my MZ-S film cameras (with some $$ to spare) from my CBA days.

There Is no cure for any of it. Only curbing it with common sense. I have to ask myself, Do I Really want it? or do I Just want it? There's a difference. In the case of the 90-180, I've been after one for several years and the opportunity finally came up. That was a Really want. A Just want is a lens (or lenses) that may be interesting and if I decide I don't want them, can probably get my money out of. I have a couple Spiratone UWA lenses that fall into this category. Other times, it is a case of I didn't Know I wanted it until I tried it. My A35-105 I'm using this month is such a case. That is a lens that should be on the radar of everyone who enjoys manual focus.

07-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #43

Well, lusting after...I mean, wanting is all right, as long as you don't act on those desires.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
A few weeks ago, yes. I'll always have LBA or rather LWA... Lens Want Addiction... The buying part comes when I have spare cash to pay for things. That usually requires selling something I already have but don't use. That Vivitar cost me one of my MZ-S film cameras (with some $$ to spare) from my CBA days.

There Is no cure for any of it. Only curbing it with common sense. I have to ask myself, Do I Really want it? or do I Just want it? There's a difference. In the case of the 90-180, I've been after one for several years and the opportunity finally came up. That was a Really want. A Just want is a lens (or lenses) that may be interesting and if I decide I don't want them, can probably get my money out of. I have a couple Spiratone UWA lenses that fall into this category. Other times, it is a case of I didn't Know I wanted it until I tried it. My A35-105 I'm using this month is such a case. That is a lens that should be on the radar of everyone who enjoys manual focus.

07-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
Well, lusting after...I mean, wanting is all right, as long as you don't act on those desires.
Thats latent LBA.
07-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmm.. Hello all, I'm minahasa, but since that's only the name of the beautiful land I'm from, you can call me Green, for I'm new to photography, as to lenses, started last December with a kit lens. My first dose of the 'real stuff' is SMC M 50/1.4 on February. Now, I don't keep lenses, I just kinda 'deal' them after a few bites. This week I my count is a few from 50. So, I suppose I have no LBA at all..