Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Twelve Steps of LBA

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Well heres a 12-Step program for you all... Agnostic and Humanitarian in nature

1. We accept the fact that all our efforts to stop buying Lenses have failed.
2. We believe that we must turn elsewhere for help besides Marketplace, Craigslist, Goodwill and eBay.
3. We turn to our fellow men and women with interchangeable lens systems, particularly those who have K-Mounts.
4. We have made a list of the situations in which we are most likely to buy lenses.
5. We ask our friends to help us avoid these situations.
5.5 Unless we insist its a really good deal for that Tak.

6. We are ready to accept the help they give us.
7. We earnestly hope that they will help.
7.5 Excepting 5.5 Above!

8. We have made a list of the persons we have purchased good lenses from and whom we hope everyone else avoids any future dealings with.
9. We shall do all we can to make recommendations to others, in any way that will not cause further shortages of good quality Takumars.
10. We will continue to make such lists and revise them as needed.
11. We appreciate what our friends have done and are doing to help us.
12. We, in turn, are ready to help others who may come to us in the same way.
OP posted this interpretation July 2009

07-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
So what are the "Gateway" lenses to this horrible addiction anyway ? Older SMC-A's ? Your first M42 that works to Infinity ?

Sounds like it might be the 50's... First one is free (almost)..

I started expanding beyond the acquired kit with a Zenitar MC 16/2.8... Does that mean I'm going to be hooked on soviet lenses ?
Does your first lens have the word "Asahi" or "Pentax" engraved anywhere around the front glass part, on the barrel, or anywhere near the rear glass part?
07-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Marc Sabatella will say that it's a nice intimate FOV on APS-C, much like 58mm on 135/FF cams. I have a couple other 40ss -- Kilfitt Makro Kilar-E f/3.5, Meyer Helioplan f/4.5 -- as well as a Chinon 45/2.8 and a Mir-1 37/2.8. All have fine optics and the Mir is probably close to the FA40 in IQ. It costs much much less, too, but it isn't a cute little pancake that's so hard to manually focus. The Meyer is smaller than an Industar, flatter that the FA40, and it's nearly impossible to use. 40-45mm really doesn't grab me. Maybe I just need to work them some more, learn their fine qualities.
I realize that there are people who worship that lens (well hopefully not literally) but I've looked at the pics and there are other options. I also don't get 40mm. 35mm is about the max on the K-x for indoor shooting as a Prime that I can see using - hence the 35/2.4 I own. I am fast coming to appreciate my M28 and the Tammy 10-24 for indoor shooting too but would like something faster than either. But a 40 that is SLOW and incredibly hard to use manually. Still not getting it but I am liking that Sigma 30/1.4.......nice focal length on the APS-C and its fast.....hmmm......
07-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I realize that there are people who worship that lens (well hopefully not literally) but I've looked at the pics and there are other options. I also don't get 40mm. 35mm is about the max on the K-x for indoor shooting as a Prime that I can see using - hence the 35/2.4 I own. I am fast coming to appreciate my M28 and the Tammy 10-24 for indoor shooting too but would like something faster than either. But a 40 that is SLOW and incredibly hard to use manually. Still not getting it but I am liking that Sigma 30/1.4.......nice focal length on the APS-C and its fast.....hmmm......
Well, you certainly don't have to get one. But I would posit that it is hard to "get" the love for a lens unless you try it yourself. Which is not to say that you should, I am sure the DA 35/2.4 does everything the DA40 would for you, but still, it is an odd argument to make.

40mm is wide enough on digital that you can get a candid shot of a child while sitting a few feet away, ready to intervene if they start doing something they shouldn't. It is wide enough to get a little background in a photo of a person if you are a few steps away, or to get 2 pr 3 people in. Quite similar FOV to 35mm, in fact. And while the DA 40 is not fast, I wouldn't call it SLOW, especially as it is very sharp and usable wide open. It produces excellent color and contrast. And it is tiny, so easy to carry around, light , and fast-focusing. I have used mine on a Super Program, and didn't find manual focusing to be too problematic.

So, I have answered your theoretical concerns with my experiences, which run contrary. I think the DA 40 is a great lens. I would be careful of that Sigma 30, though, I hear it is big and won't focus very closely. ;-)

And yes, since this is a thread about LBA, I will admit that I have an FA43 as well.

07-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I realize that there are people who worship that lens (well hopefully not literally) but I've looked at the pics and there are other options. I also don't get 40mm. ....
It's one of those lenses that's perfect for some, not working for others. I got a really broken M40/2.8, close enough for me.

Everyone here talks a great game but where were you tonight? I was the only bidder. I hope it looks as good in person as the photos.
07-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Everyone here talks a great game but where were you tonight? I was the only bidder.
Oh, I have enough other bids in. When they pass US$10 I usually lose interest. So in the last few days I got:

* KAF Quantaray (Sigma) 28-80 AF for US$10
* M42 Rikenon 135/3.5 (mint!) for US$1
* another 7 lenses for ~US$2 each

LBA is just another lifestyle choice, eh?
07-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Just paid for a mint FA50/1.4

07-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Well, you certainly don't have to get one. But I would posit that it is hard to "get" the love for a lens unless you try it yourself. Which is not to say that you should, I am sure the DA 35/2.4 does everything the DA40 would for you, but still, it is an odd argument to make.

40mm is wide enough on digital that you can get a candid shot of a child while sitting a few feet away, ready to intervene if they start doing something they shouldn't. It is wide enough to get a little background in a photo of a person if you are a few steps away, or to get 2 pr 3 people in. Quite similar FOV to 35mm, in fact. And while the DA 40 is not fast, I wouldn't call it SLOW, especially as it is very sharp and usable wide open. It produces excellent color and contrast. And it is tiny, so easy to carry around, light , and fast-focusing. I have used mine on a Super Program, and didn't find manual focusing to be too problematic.

So, I have answered your theoretical concerns with my experiences, which run contrary. I think the DA 40 is a great lens. I would be careful of that Sigma 30, though, I hear it is big and won't focus very closely. ;-)

And yes, since this is a thread about LBA, I will admit that I have an FA43 as well.
Not sure how looking at focal length and speed is "an odd argument". Are those factors irrelevant to you when looking at getting another lens?
07-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Not sure how looking at focal length and speed is "an odd argument". Are those factors irrelevant to you when looking at getting another lens?
What I find odd is to post opinions about a lens you don't have. It's not like you were asking why people like it, you were declaring that you didn't "get" it. But there are probably a hundred posts in the forum about the DA40 along the lines of "it is an odd focal length, and not that fast, but I love it". So those posts, and my experience as well, would argue that in this particular lens, there are more factors to consider in addition to just focal length and maximum aperture.

With that said, if I had a DA35/2.4, and it was a good as people say, I can't see why I would buy a DA40. Especially if I had difficulties with small lenses.
07-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
What I find odd is to post opinions about a lens you don't have. It's not like you were asking why people like it, you were declaring that you didn't "get" it. But there are probably a hundred posts in the forum about the DA40 along the lines of "it is an odd focal length, and not that fast, but I love it". So those posts, and my experience as well, would argue that in this particular lens, there are more factors to consider in addition to just focal length and maximum aperture.

With that said, if I had a DA35/2.4, and it was a good as people say, I can't see why I would buy a DA40. Especially if I had difficulties with small lenses.
Its an LBA thread! Geez, what's odd about discussing lenses that you are considering? As for my statement about it being slow - 2.8 is slow for a mid-level prime in my book. Back in SLR days anything above f2 was slow and I still think they are slow even on dSLRs. As for other factors, yes but that does not mean they negate the issues of it being an odd length and slow for a prime. Heck, even the "budget" DA35 is faster.
07-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anything that's fast enough to isolate the subject from the background is fast in my book. Actually, that's all the use the faster glass has with the high noiseles iso's nowadays.
07-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #87
Veteran Member

LBA almost struck again. I broke my filter size rule. And it's a duplicate at a focal length that I don't really like. But it's one of those special lenses so I put in a bid at 1/2 the market value hoping that someone would overbid me. And my bid lasted until 20 seconds were left when 4 snipers doubled the price.

As far as the DA 40 goes. I'm also not a big fan of the focal length. But I don't consider the speed to be an issue especially considering that it costs close to $200 less than the other limited and it's a pancake. And there was an excellent example given about its usefulness. And everyone composes photos differently. What is perfect for me isn't perfect for someone else.
07-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its an LBA thread! Geez, what's odd about discussing lenses that you are considering? As for my statement about it being slow - 2.8 is slow for a mid-level prime in my book. Back in SLR days anything above f2 was slow and I still think they are slow even on dSLRs. As for other factors, yes but that does not mean they negate the issues of it being an odd length and slow for a prime. Heck, even the "budget" DA35 is faster.
The whole DA Limited series polarizes opinions like this. Why buy this tiny slow thing when you could get something else faster/better/cooler/zoomier? Yet some people insist on buying the things, and having a suspicious amount of fun.
07-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ha - sorry - didn't realise i'd been beaten to it many many years before. Humblest apologies. You know what they say... nicest form of flattery and all
07-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
LBA almost struck again. I broke my filter size rule. And it's a duplicate at a focal length that I don't really like. But it's one of those special lenses so I put in a bid at 1/2 the market value hoping that someone would overbid me. And my bid lasted until 20 seconds were left when 4 snipers doubled the price.
I think I might have been one of those four, but not the winner. K135/2.5?

I snipe as an LBA control. I only bid in the last 5 to 10 seconds and only bid once. It forces me to limit my purchases to auctions I can watch at the end, to set a price in advance, and not go over it.