Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
re. VL50/1.8 : Does it come in Pentax mount or will I have to convert it from Rollei?
Mine is a PK mount.

re. Topcor 58/1.4 in exacta mount : quick check and I found two here. One has some oil on the blades, asking ca. $270 and the other looks perfect ... but asking $410 ! Think I'll stick with the Distagons or VLs.

re. Cosina 55/1.2 - excellent looking model here going for $260 in PK mount. Is that a decent price for this lense ? If it is I might snap it up !

07-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
"Here" as in here in the marketplace?
Man, $410 is way more then those topcor's are worth. Espescially since I could buy a Voightlander version of that lens for about $500. Unfortunately I'm not in the position to pay over $200 for a lens right now. Especially one that has to be modified for me to use. I'm really in the market for something under $100, and hopefully under $50. I know the Topcor is probably going to be hard to find within my budget, but I have seen them sell for under $100 in the last 6 months, and maybe I'll get lucky and find one for cheap.
That sounds like a good price for the Cosina though. I've seen 1.2 lenses selling for over $400 recently.
07-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I tried converting an MD-base Kiron lens but failed because I couldn't figure how to keep the aperture stopped-down. A real Rokkor base might be replaceable with a PK base, but I want to practice on something cheap first.
Here's a couple of links I just ran across again. I think these are the two methods I looked at to determine that I could in fact convert the Rokkor. I know the lens converted is the 58mm 1.2, but the 58mm 1.4 should be somewhat similar.
Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 mount conversion, part 1/5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
How to Convert Your Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f1.2 Lens to Canon EOS Mount
07-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
that's a good advice

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
if it needs to be fed....
The lens mounts will need to be converted - and here is the source..

I had contax/yashica Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.7 in my early Pentax days converted to pk mount. This lens gives results like fa43 limited, even resolves tiny bit more details.

07-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Here's a couple of links I just ran across again. I think these are the two methods I looked at to determine that I could in fact convert the Rokkor. I know the lens converted is the 58mm 1.2, but the 58mm 1.4 should be somewhat similar.
Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 mount conversion, part 1/5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
How to Convert Your Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f1.2 Lens to Canon EOS Mount
Thanks for those! The 3rd-party lens base isn't like an actual Minolta base, but these links may help me rig the iris connexion. I still want a cheap M/MD to practice on though.

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
I had contax/yashica Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.7 in my early Pentax days converted to pk mount. This lens gives results like fa43 limited, even resolves tiny bit more details.
I have previously mentioned (and documented) a simple C/Y-->PK mod -- use a Dremel blade to taper the lens bayonet flags -- but it is really most appropriate for inexpensive lenses. For costly glass that you might wish to resell someday, the Leitax mod is smarter.
07-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian

So you recommend the Tak. I've read a lot of good things about it. How's the bokeh? I've read mixed reviews about that aspect of the lens.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think about your Mamiya-Sekor and/or Rikenon 55 1.4? I've seen some pictures taken with one of them and liked what I saw.
All those subtle bokeh things slip right by me, unless someone points them out. So I'll say it looks nice to me, but don't pay any attention to that.

My stumbling block with the Mamiya and Rikenon is filter size, which means I have no hood unless I use step-up rings. The lenses are pretty similar looking, except the coatings look very different. Both have six blades. I think the Rikenon is sharper by a bit. I see more Mamiyas for sale.

The Cosina 55/1.2 has that aberration that I want to call coma but I have to check to see if that's the right term. I like the effect but it won't be for everyone.
07-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #22

Original Poster
The itch has officially been scratched. A Topcor 58mm 1.8 will be in my possession in a few days. Of course the adapters I need probably won't make it here for quite a bit longer, unless I sacrifice my ability to use my other m42 lenses by using my adapters to modify the Topcor.

Unfortunately I was not able to procure a Topcor 58mm 1.4 as the price was just to high and I think I can get one for far less in the future if I keep looking. I tried to get a Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4, but apparently someone else wanted it more then me. So I'll have to settle for the Topcor 58 1.8 for now. From what I've seen its a very decent lens, just not quite as "Special" as the 1.4. I guess I'll see soon enough. I decided against the Takumar because there are plenty available and I can always get one later (and probably will when LBA hits me again). I'm still not sure about the Rokkor. After looking over the conversion method again, it just seems like more work then it may be worth. If I can pick one up for $10 or so I may attempt it in the future.