Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #1

Someone might like this lens

No affiliation to the seller, I have this focal length in a Tokina 2.8 version, but thought someone on the forum might be interested so here is the link.

Pentax FA 20-35mm f4

Moderators: If this is wrong to post I apologize, please delete if not acceptable.

11-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks ... but for that money wouldn't it be better to buy a DA16-45 f/4 ?
11-22-2007, 04:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
I guess, I bought a Tokina 20-35mm 2.8 because I like Tokina. I think the build quality is 10X better than any new Pentax lens except mabye the very expensive ones. Most lenses made these days are too plasticky for my taste.
11-22-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree, the DA 16-45mm would be a better buy. I think the build quality is just fine on it. The K10D is heavy enough when fully euipt with both batteries, I try not to load it down with too many 'tank' lenses.

11-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
The DA16-45 isn't compatable with film SLRs. The FA20-35 provides a very wide angle on film cameras. It's also a top notch lens. I have one myself.
11-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
The DA16-45 isn't compatable with film SLRs. The FA20-35 provides a very wide angle on film cameras. It's also a top notch lens. I have one myself.
Just what I was about to say. I love the 16-45, but it irritates me to have a lens I can't use with film!
11-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am not sure why everyone makes the claims that DA lenses will not work with film as Pentax own website says they are compatible with film sans the DA 21. Here is the Pentax page on the SMC P-DA 16-45mm F4.0 that states film compatibility.
11-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I am not sure why everyone makes the claims that DA lenses will not work with film as Pentax own website says they are compatible with film sans the DA 21. Here is the Pentax page on the SMC P-DA 16-45mm F4.0 that states film compatibility.
wow never seen that before, has anyone tried it on film? I've always disqualified da lenses because of the film issue, if it works decently on film I might get a 16-45

11-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

DA lenses will mount on film SLRs fine but you will get vignetting (dark corners) for some zoom range. That said, DA40 has been found to be an exception where it does not produce vignetting on film SLRs.

cheers
Kenny
11-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by incitatus Quote
wow never seen that before, has anyone tried it on film? I've always disqualified da lenses because of the film issue, if it works decently on film I might get a 16-45
The 16-45 will not provide adequate coverage at all focal lengths. You may get full 35mm coverage from 24mm to 45mm (that's an estimate), but it will certainly not cover from 16mm to 45mm.
11-24-2007, 02:57 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
DA lenses will mount on film SLRs fine but you will get vignetting (dark corners) for some zoom range. That said, DA40 has been found to be an exception where it does not produce vignetting on film SLRs.

cheers
Kenny
True, but the resolution does fall off dramatically at the edge of the frame if you use the lens at wider apertures.
11-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The lens sold for $354.++!

I had the choice of purchasing this lens used for $350 shipped to me or a brand new DA 16-45 for about $75 more. Guess which one I chose? This one!! I tested the 16-45 before deciding on this and I don't regret going for the FA 20-35. The lens is much more compact and lighter than the DA 16-45. If you keep the hood on, it seems that the lens has both IF and Internal zooming features! Since I use the lens for landscapes, group shots, night shooting and the like, I found the compactness and lightness a big plus, especially when travelling. As for the CA, both have it, but at f/4 the CA in the DA 16-45 is much worse, IMHO. At f/4.5 onwards, the lens is sharp at the center. At f/5.6 it is prime lens quality. I compared the color rendering of the FA 20-35 with the FA 50 f/1.4, and I found them both to be very close, if not equal! The FA50 f/1.4 however wins handdown on sharpness and bokeh.

Here are some night street shots I took with this lens while in a short visit to Hong Kong. All were taken using a DS (no SR), with apertures of f/5.6 and f/8 (to highlight the star effect on strong light sources) so I had to use street posts as temporary tripods. That's when the size and light weight of the lens became an immense advantage!

11-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #13

Nice photos Vince.

Bit of a thread hijack.

I'm heading to Hong Kong for Chrissy and looking forward to doing some night time street shooting. Capturing the bustle

I'll be packing my FA50/1.4 and will also have my Tamron 24-75 f/2.8 by then so hopefully I can emulate some of the quality of your shots.

Oh and they will be on a DS body as well

If anyone has any tips for Hong Kong I'd appreciate them.

Troy
11-26-2007, 03:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks Troy!

As for places where you'll use up GB's of space, go to Avenue of the Stars (Kowloon side) for the nightly light show, then Monkok's night markets. If you can catch sunset at Victoria Peak during a clear (no fog or smog) evening, then yu can try for great panos. Have fun!