Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's The Going Rate on a 105MM Tak?

I've got the M42 version of the 105 in excellent shape complete with case and caps. I am loathe to sell it but I'm actually thinking about doing it as a way to get the 55-300 for my kit. I love it but I'm thinking maybe I should? The prices I've seen for it are all over the place and I can't decide what the actual street value is. The lens database isn't jibing at all with what I am seeing elsewhere. Is this lens really going for $200 plus now?

07-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I've got the M42 version of the 105 in excellent shape complete with case and caps. I am loathe to sell it but I'm actually thinking about doing it as a way to get the 55-300 for my kit. I love it but I'm thinking maybe I should? The prices I've seen for it are all over the place and I can't decide what the actual street value is. The lens database isn't jibing at all with what I am seeing elsewhere. Is this lens really going for $200 plus now?
I haven't seen them actually sell for over $200+ (lots of people ask that much or more, but that doesn't mean they're actually selling for that much). I would say anywhere between $50-150 depending on condition. If yours is in excellent condition with the original caps and case, you could probably ask and expect to get closer to the high end of that range.
07-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I got mine (not pristine but great glass) for under US$20 a few months ago. I haven't checked prices lately because I Haven't the need. Have you looked at eBay COMPLETED LISTINGS to see what they actually have sold for? Forget BIN prices, those ain't real.
07-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I got mine (not pristine but great glass) for under US$20 a few months ago. I haven't checked prices lately because I Haven't the need. Have you looked at eBay COMPLETED LISTINGS to see what they actually have sold for? Forget BIN prices, those ain't real.
That's where I pulled the $50-150 range (from completed ebay sales).

$20 is great price for one. Need an excellent condition original hard case to go with it? (I happen to have an extra that came with another lens I bought)

07-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought one in excellent condition for $125 two weeks ago. Add an original hard case in great condition for another $10.
07-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wasn't thinking $200 because that's what I've been seeing BIN and even I know that relying on BIN on Ebay isn't kosher. But I've watched a couple of auctions go just under $150 recently and it just floored me. I've got 3 Takumars. One 50, one 55, and the 105MM. I want to keep my 55 for Queenie, because that is the kit lens for the SPII but I'm seriously thinking of letting go of the 50MM and the 105MM if that will help me get my 55-300. I like manual focus and I love the old Takumars I have, but my eyes are not so good lately and I may just need the AF more and more if they keep going the way they have been going. Plus I'm thinking that it might be better for studio work, faster, to have the 55-300 handy.

I've really got to sit down and take pics of all my stuff, put my ad back up in the Marketplace. I've been doing other stuff, scanning and product photos for my stores. I'm crunching, getting ready to launch 2 online stores in Sept, so other photography tasks just haven't been on the menu much. I'm actually up all night most of the time now scanning and writing descriptions of my stuff. I have nearly 5000 vintage or antique collectible items I have to scan or photograph by Sept. When you see me here? It's usually because I am taking a break. I rarely go to my other forums now actually, no time. But I can't seem to stay away from here for too long, grin. I still spend way more time than I should here!

Selling the 2 Takumars would simplify things a bit. I could just sell those, buy the 55-300 used and be done with it, instead of having to photograph 20 things to get the same amount of money coming in. It's not like I don't know those wouldn't sell okay. They're probably the only lenses I have that people would pay good money for!

Last edited by magkelly; 07-24-2011 at 12:26 PM.
07-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That's where I pulled the $50-150 range (from completed ebay sales).
Wow. I *did* get lucky. And it was a straight-up auction, not buried in other gear, not badly described. I'd plugged in US$25 plus shipping, and whomever bid $15 just didn't pay attention I guess, so I paid like $15.05 plus $5 shipping. Yeah, BID OFTEN, BID LOW sure works for me.

QuoteQuote:
$20 is great price for one. Need an excellent condition original hard case to go with it? (I happen to have an extra that came with another lens I bought)
Thanks, I don't have room for cases. (Too many lenses, eh?)

07-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They go for about $70 or so where I am, which is a totally different market from where you are.

What you don't say is which 105 you have. Preset? Super Takumar? S-M-C Takumar?

I can't fathom selling a 105....that's normally my everyday all-day lens.
07-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need to visit Japan I guess. Actually I have plans next summer to make a trip but maybe I'll have to do a little shopping.

I wanted a tak 105 but all of the ones that I have had in my watch list sold for $100+. There might have been a few that went for less but they had questionable photos/desc that didn't give me a good enough feeling to bid $75+ for a potential lemon. The tak 50/1.4 seems to easily get into the $75ish neighborhood and $100 isn't out of the question. The 55 seems stuck in the $25-50 so it's not really worth selling imo.
07-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

i have the S-M-C Tak 105 version and it is one of my favorite lenses for sure, super sharp, compact and built beautifully. I'd easily pay $125-ish for one of these; i honestly do not know what the market price of this lens is, but guessing it is over $100, slightly less for the Super Tak version. recommended!
07-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Inactive Account

There are a few ways you could go about selling it. Which one it is does matter.

1. Set your price and list it in the marketplace (saves you the ebay commission and listing fees).
2. Start an auction at some ridiculously low number and hope for the best. In which you'll be sending it to RioRico for $24 total. Actually, these types of auctions tend to sell for the most.
3. Set a buy it now at what you would Like to get, and set your Starting price at what you'll accept. Remember that with ebay you're going to lose around 8% of the final price in the transaction (including shipping).

As for price, you could probably reasonably expect to get $125 or so for it. For the 50, also depends on which one and condition. If you have the early 8 element version, I see those sell for more than the others. The last Tak 50 I saw sell went for something like $127.

07-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a Super Takumar 1:2.8/105 #2348354 and I'm hoping it's worth what you all seem to think it is, if not I guess I'll just keep it. ;P I don't think I'd sell it for too little to be honest. It is my favorite lens. It's pretty awesome. I hate the idea of selling it actually but I really need a faster AF 300MM zoom lens and I'm not getting very far in terms of being able to save up for one.

I'm just not making enough of a paycheck right now to put any money away for one. At the rate I am going it will be late next year before I could go there. If I sell the Takumars and my other lenses and get something decent money though I could maybe swing it. I'm thinking that this one is the lens that has the most value? Is it worth what's been stated above? It's in excellent shape and has the case, caps et all.

I'm not going the Ebay route. They're even charging final value fees on shipping now from what my BFF tells me. Every auction she's done lately she's paying through the nose for fees and I'm not into eating those. I can't afford it. I'll probably list it here with my other stuff again and do CL locally.
07-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It is a Super Takumar 1:2.8/105 #2348354 and I'm hoping it's worth what you all seem to think it is, if not I guess I'll just keep it. ;P I don't think I'd sell it for too little to be honest. It is my favorite lens. It's pretty awesome. I hate the idea of selling it actually but I really need a faster AF 300MM zoom lens and I'm not getting very far in terms of being able to save up for one.

I'm just not making enough of a paycheck right now to put any money away for one. At the rate I am going it will be late next year before I could go there. If I sell the Takumars and my other lenses and get something decent money though I could maybe swing it. I'm thinking that this one is the lens that has the most value? Is it worth what's been stated above? It's in excellent shape and has the case, caps et all.

I'm not going the Ebay route. They're even charging final value fees on shipping now from what my BFF tells me. Every auction she's done lately she's paying through the nose for fees and I'm not into eating those. I can't afford it. I'll probably list it here with my other stuff again and do CL locally.
That's why I mentioned shipping and is part of why prices have jumped on ebay (that's just a guess on my part). I don't do much selling on ebay anymore either.

07-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That's why I mentioned shipping and is part of why prices have jumped on ebay (that's just a guess on my part). I don't do much selling on ebay anymore either.
I'm not sure if prices really jumped because of that. To make up and extra ~8% on shipping on a typical shipping charge of $10-12 is less than $1. Perhaps I can see shipping charges bumped up by a buck to cover it. I rarely sell on ebay, but my understanding was that the overall commission structure is ever so slightly lower in order to compensate for the commission charge on the shipping.
07-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
2. Start an auction at some ridiculously low number and hope for the best. In which you'll be sending it to RioRico for $24 total. Actually, these types of auctions tend to sell for the most.
Naw, already got one. And yes, free-market auctions can give astounding results. My profit margin over the last year as been around 100%.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm not sure if prices really jumped because of that. To make up and extra ~8% on shipping on a typical shipping charge of $10-12 is less than $1. Perhaps I can see shipping charges bumped up by a buck to cover it.
I was traveling when eBay did the change, and I haven't restarted selling yet, BUT... Most of my profits came from overseas sales. Those mean high shipping charges. That means a bigger cut from my proceeds. That means I'll have to raise out-of-USA shipping by US$5-10 to avoid taking losses. That means it will hurt.