Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Opinions on ND fader please.

Hi,

I STF on the ND fader but does not get many threads on this, so I venture to ask again. What do everyone feel about an ND fader like this Light Craft Workshop - Fader ND mark II

I already have a hoya ND400 77mm for my DA14 but I am looking to get a set of NDs for my other lenses using the 49mm thread. I am wondering if this is any good.

Many thanks
raider

07-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I would be interested to know a few opinions on this also. I've heard good things about the ND Faders, but I've also heard some dodgy things. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, or something like it.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Accessories category?

Last edited by Rainy Day; 07-25-2011 at 02:28 AM.
07-25-2011, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I've got a Polaroid fader, mid-price. When nothing else will do it's a gift from heaven but my regular ND produces better results. There's 2 pieces of glass in there agains 1 for a regular ND which accounts for twice the loss in sharpness, clarity and loss of contrast when compared to a "normal" ND filter.

Also you get a strange effect when stopped down to F8 and beyond when the fader is near its max. A kind of black cross over the image rendering it useless.

In some cases however, it does come in handy with moderate to light density. I've used stacked ND and CPL before and the fader more or less compares to that combo. Best thing is you can finetune both DOF and blurring at the same time while a regular ND kind of ties you down.

Don't expect miracles I'd say but they do come in handy now and then.
07-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. Being unable to stop down more than F8 is not too good for me. I googled the "cross phenomenon" thingy and many hits came up. It seems this is most apparent with wide angle lenses. So another no go for me.

Thanks again for the heads up. I think I will pass this time.