Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #1

Sigma HSM lenses for Pentax?

I've been unable to find a thread covering this question. Any word out there if and/or when Sigma (or any other mfr) will offer their lenses for Pentax with the HSM motors now that the K10D supports the SDM lens?

11-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No news yet. Pentax isn't licensing the interface to them, so they'll have to reverse-engineer it. And of course first they'll need to make a judgment call about whether that's even worth the effort.
11-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would think that Tamron would be the first, since they seem to work with Pentax from time to time

But that's just a guess.
11-23-2007, 12:42 AM   #4

There woudn't be much point in adding a HSM motor on a Pentax lens... The AF motor is in the body!

11-23-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To feed our never ending rumor mill'ing around... There's a related rumor that Sigma will be releasing the 120-300 f/2.8 lens for Pentax. Complete supposition based on this rumor, but my thought was that is being made possible due to the advent of SDM support w/the 1.3 firmware; with SDM just being another variant known as HSM by Sigma; and I surmised the only reason the 120-300 f/2.8 wasn't released for Pentax was it can't support the legacy focus mechanism and only could be focused w/its in-lens system. If K10D and SDM/HSM can 'talk', I can maybe get what I really wanted a few months ago instead of the prime I had to buy...

Bryce, I guess you're not up on Pentax's most recent advanced focusing method's direction...?
11-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I would think that Tamron would be the first, since they seem to work with Pentax from time to time

But that's just a guess.
It would make sense except that Tamron has no AF motor inclusive lenses for any mount not just Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce Quote
There woudn't be much point in adding a HSM motor on a Pentax lens... The AF motor is in the body!
Pentax DA* 16-50 and 50-135 SDM are both lens-based AF setups. Yes the cameras still have a AF motor in the body for backwards compatibility's sake. The only DSLRs on the market which skip an internal AF motor completely are the Nikon D40 and D40x.
11-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Bryce, I guess you're not up on Pentax's most recent advanced focusing method's direction...?
It seems I am not up to speed on Pentax's AF system.
What is the benefit of an in lens motor? Is it faster, quieter, or does it use less power?

11-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

I'm no expert (far from it). Quite, yep. Supposed to be faster but reports are it isn't, or not by much? If true, hoping it will be; perhaps this 1st rev isn't as good as it will as it evolves (which usually happens). Is it supposed to be more precise/accurate? Anyone else know? Dunno about the power utilization; it's a good question worth investigating.
11-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wonder if the focus speed can be increased through a firmware update

I would at least hope that they'd work on an accurate focus system before trying to make a fast focus system.
11-24-2007, 03:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce Quote
What is the benefit of an in lens motor? Is it faster, quieter, or does it use less power?
I have been using the SDM 16-50 lens for about a month now. So far so good.
Regarding AF, I never had a problem with the traditional AF system. However, this one seems to have at least one clear advantage. The SDM-system is very quiet indeed compared to the shaft-driven one.
11-24-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

From a thread on dpreview: For the DA* lenses, Pentax apparently uses a tiny ultrasonic motor that drives the same focusing shaft as the in-body lenses. This has the advantage of working with the K100D/K110D and *ist cameras, but doesn't have the speed advantage of an ultrasonic ring motor as used in Canon and Nikon's USM/AF-S lenses.