Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only 2 reliable indicators that I have found is the IR mark and protruding rear element. There are some other variations such as type face and wording arrangement on the filter ring plate. I'll check my notes when I get home. I researched this in depth over a period of time.

07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have one of these early super takumars too. Version I straight 6 closed 4. Yellow m and pale blue f. (1221954).

Gerjan van Oosten / The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide
He doesn't mention white feet lettering. Just blue.

But who knows.
07-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The only 2 reliable indicators that I have found is the IR mark and protruding rear element.
Yes, I was looking into whether this would be a 3rd indicator, but it now looks like it definitely isn't one. Still, interesting details around the font variations and paint fading. (I forgot to check my lens in daylight this morning to see if it's pale blue or white).

Thanks to everyone for responses and details!
07-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erdž Quote
I read somewhere a few months ago that Asahi Pentax changed the typeface they used for all of their lenses during 1964. Hence the reason some 8-element taks have one typeface and some have the other.

If this is actually the case, there shouldn't be ANY examples of 7-element 50mm taks with closed 4's and straight 6's...whether they be Super, S-M-C, or SMC.
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not necessarily. Parts bins. It would just depend on how many parts were on hand when they decided to change over because many of the external parts would be interchangeable.
I was trying to swap parts between two Auto-Takumar 55mm f1.8s today. This model, the one that has an A/M switch:

The two lenses look externally identical. The other one is serial # 377267. Internally, quite a few parts are different enough so the parts aren't even interchangeable. The spring loaded bearing under the aperture ring that makes the lens click at all the stops. The older lens has two extra bearings to hold the aperture ring in place better. The mount has extra milled space for those springs so the new mount doesn't fit the old lens. I found three more non-interchangeable parts and gave up.

This lens was only made for a couple of years, yet must have had running chages in that short time. In some cases, maybe there were parts bins, but I get the feeling they didn't keep a ton of parts on hand. They just made more in small batches with a lot of variation.

Check out this lens I saw on eBay last week, s/n not far from my older one. All of the 55mm Takumars that I've seen (Auto or newer) have 6 aperture blades. Yet:

07-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I was trying to swap parts between two Auto-Takumar 55mm f1.8s today. This model, the one that has an A/M switch:

The two lenses look externally identical. The other one is serial # 377267. Internally, quite a few parts are different enough so the parts aren't even interchangeable. The spring loaded bearing under the aperture ring that makes the lens click at all the stops. The older lens has two extra bearings to hold the aperture ring in place better. The mount has extra milled space for those springs so the new mount doesn't fit the old lens. I found three more non-interchangeable parts and gave up.

This lens was only made for a couple of years, yet must have had running chages in that short time. In some cases, maybe there were parts bins, but I get the feeling they didn't keep a ton of parts on hand. They just made more in small batches with a lot of variation.

Check out this lens I saw on eBay last week, s/n not far from my older one. All of the 55mm Takumars that I've seen (Auto or newer) have 6 aperture blades. Yet:
Interesting, does that mean that none of the external parts will transfer from one to the other?
07-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

There were 2 versions of that lens, the earliest one has the aperture ring operating in the opposite direction from the latter ones IIRC.

Edit: I just got out my H3 that has the A.T 55 with A-M switch (s# 559xxx) and it definitely has an aperture ring that operates in the opposite direction than any of my S.T. lenses

Last edited by Blue; 07-31-2011 at 09:06 AM.