Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Super Takumar 50/1.4 - another difference between vesions 1 and 2?

I just noticed today one more difference between my version 1 Super Tak and my version 2. I am wondering whether the difference can be used to identify the two versions next to the other characteristics (rear element protrusion and IR marking location).

The difference is this: Earlier version has the feet distance markings in white paint; later version has it in blue. Both have the meter distance markings in yellow.

So, the question is - is this a good indication of whether a lens is version 1 or version 2? Can you check your lenses for exceptions to what I noticed? That is: can you check to see if you have an early version with yellow markings or a later version with white markings?

07-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I got first version with white feet markings and yellow meter.

I got third version too (super-multi-coated), and it's a bit bigger. Also the feet markings are blue on the 3rd. Yellowed rear element.
07-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have 2 x 1st version (8-element, IR mark inside the 4, protruding rear element). One has the early type face (straight 6's and closed 4's) - However, both have blue "feet" distance markings. Whether that means anything...I don't know...
07-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erd§ Quote
I have 2 x 1st version (8-element, IR mark inside the 4, protruding rear element). One has the early type face (straight 6's and closed 4's) - However, both have blue "feet" distance markings. Whether that means anything...I don't know...
Interesting. So Version 1 can have blue markings too. Maybe white markings were just for early Version 1?

Does anyone have a Version 2 with white "feet" distance markings?

07-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an early example of the 7 element SuperTak 50/1.4 with the dot at the f2 and it has pale blue ft markings and yellow m markers.
07-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Interesting. So Version 1 can have blue markings too. Maybe white markings were just for early Version 1?

Does anyone have a Version 2 with white "feet" distance markings?
As I mentioned, one of mine is an early version 1. I initially thought mine were white, but when I looked under white light conditions, they are definitely a light pale blue. (It appeared to be a dirty white under tungsten).
07-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
I initially thought mine were white, but when I looked under white light conditions, they are definitely a light pale blue. (It appeared to be a dirty white under tungsten).
I'll have to check mine in daylight - it my be a pale blue too. So much for the white vs blue theory - should we make it light blue vs blue?

07-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

the white vs blue theory
It is possible, though the one I have, is blue/yellow. Even the early version has their differences. Look at the fonts of the 2nd pic on this post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1185475-post22.html#post1185475
and here is mine https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/114298-how-rea...ml#post1189700
07-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
It is possible, though the one I have, is blue/yellow. Even the early version has their differences. Look at the fonts of the 2nd pic on this post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1185475-post22.html#post1185475
and here is mine https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/114298-how-rea...ml#post1189700
Thanks for the links.

My copy looks like yours and like the one to the right in Erd$'s post - with the closed 4 and straight 6.

Looks like a minor difference indeed.
07-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the links.

My copy looks like yours and like the one to the right in Erd$'s post - with the closed 4 and straight 6.

Looks like a minor difference indeed.
I was going to link to that pic myself but, unfortunately, it doesn't show the colours of the text we're referring to.
07-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
dot at the f2
My first version 147xxxx has no dot at all. Neither does my 3rd version 7 element.

We can probably say there's a few versions of the first.

I'll have to check mine in daylight - it my be a pale blue too
Mine MIGHT be verrrrry faint blue. Impossible to say. Some of the yellow numbers at the aperture ring has worn off to white f1,4 and f2 is white wile the rest is dirty yellow. Orange M white A. Can upload a picture of it ofc.

Edit:

WB might be slightly yellow. Not sure. The FT numbers defenitly looks faint blue, but the "ft" looks yellow, not blue, maybe worn off as the color on the 1,4 and 2.

Last edited by fikkser; 07-27-2011 at 12:13 AM.
07-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Mine MIGHT be verrrrry faint blue. Impossible to say.
That looks white to me - thanks for posting the picture. Interesting how the lettering is white and the style corresponds to the more recent models, with the open 4 and curved 6.
07-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That looks white to me - thanks for posting the picture. Interesting how the lettering is white and the style corresponds to the more recent models, with the open 4 and curved 6.
I read somewhere a few months ago that Asahi Pentax changed the typeface they used for all of their lenses during 1964. Hence the reason some 8-element taks have one typeface and some have the other.

If this is actually the case, there shouldn't be ANY examples of 7-element 50mm taks with closed 4's and straight 6's...whether they be Super, S-M-C, or SMC.
07-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read somewhere a few months ago that Asahi Pentax changed the typeface they used for all of their lenses during 1964. Hence the reason some 8-element taks have one typeface and some have the other.

If this is actually the case, there shouldn't be ANY examples of 7-element 50mm taks with closed 4's and straight 6's...whether they be Super, S-M-C, or SMC.
Not necessarily. Parts bins. It would just depend on how many parts were on hand when they decided to change over because many of the external parts would be interchangeable.
07-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just saw it in proper light and it's blue, defenitly blue. Very faint.