Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SMC Pentax-M 80-200 front element removal

I have a nice example of this 80-200 F4.5 zoom with some minor fungus inside the front elements.
I have removed the first ring and front element with a lens spanner but the fungus is behind the second element.

Can anyone who has stripped one of these give me any ideas how to remove this second front element for cleaning...?

Thanks for any help

08-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

[bump]

Hey folks, it's been two weeks! Doesn't anybody have an idea on how to do this? C'mon now!
08-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Sorry... didn't know this question was up earlier. I had fungus problems with my M 80-200 as well.

The front group on my version can spin off if you grip the rim well and that's not meaning the built in hood part. Rubber pad might work if just hard enough and flat. Try it on a flat surface and press the lens up against it. I don't know if your version and if it is recessed? It may not be easy as the treads are held in with thread-lock. The crazy technique was to wedge one of my worst 52mm filter in position and use a filter wrench to pull it off... home made out of plexi, but much like a standard one.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-29-2011 at 06:27 AM.