Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lens Protection

The Post Your Gear thread brought up something I have always been conscious of and that is protection of the front element. I wouldn't walk out of a camera shop with a new lens without a UV filter on the front. Having just purchased the 43 and 77 limited lens with the 31 in the mail lens protection becomes an important issue. Also I am loath to fit a UV filter in front of a world class lens. The stacked filter rings shown in the post, particularly for the 31mm, seem to be a good idea. I have searched the net and can't find any straight 1 to 1 rings. Metal lens hoods and lens adapter hoods seem to me to be a better option than the rings ( I would worry about thread locks).

Any other ideas out there?

Take care,

David

11-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would agree to not using any glass in front of your lens, unless you were photographing in harsh conditions.

The 43 has a solid hood thatI feel gives adequate protection, and the 77 has the pull out hood that is also good enough in my opinion.

the 31 mm lens needs a better hood for flare reduction than the built in one. I have used the glass-less filter rings and they work fine. A hood I use now is the screw in type (58mm ) and fits very neatly without being obstructed by the built in hood is one I ordered ffrom this place in Austria.

Foto Versand & Fotozubehör - Lens Hoods

you need to select "heliopan telekurzblende" and select 58mm from the drop down.

I dont have a picture but it is a very neat smart looking lens hood.
11-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter, I'll go looking for a Heliopan hood in my neighbourhood.

Regards,

David
11-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I keep a Hoya multicoated UV filter mounted on my FA31, and I have never had any traces of flare on any photos. That's more than I can say for any other lens I have. The lack of a real hood has never been an issue, either.

11-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Why are people so worried about scratching their lenses?

In all my travels I've never managed to scratch any glass. And I've taken my gear through places most sane people wouldn't dream of going.

Plus I've rarely seen any scratched lenses.

However I've seen lots of fungus when I've looked through some used stores collections

As a result I think that proper storage of your lenses does more to protect them than a filter or hood ever will.
11-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

do you guys ever worry about splashes on your lenses? I'd rather clean a UV filter than a front lens element...
11-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Why are people so worried about scratching their lenses?

In all my travels I've never managed to scratch any glass. And I've taken my gear through places most sane people wouldn't dream of going.

Plus I've rarely seen any scratched lenses.

However I've seen lots of fungus when I've looked through some used stores collections

As a result I think that proper storage of your lenses does more to protect them than a filter or hood ever will.
You know, I wonder the same thing. Every lens I've ever seen at a garage sale, no matter how poorly stored (like 20 years in a shoebox, with no caps) has basically had good-looking glass. Lots of dust, of course, but that lens coating really is quite something. That said, there is something to be said for the piece of mind that comes with having something between the front element and everything else.

This might be of interest: Dirty lens test
11-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
This might be of interest: Dirty lens test
Wow!

I have to admit I am impressed, I'd expect glass that dirty to ruin pictures...

I've never used filters in front of my lenses to protect them - though I do have hoods - and have been wondering if I should put some on... things that make you go hmmmm!

Pat

11-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I feel it really depends which part of the world you are in. In colder climes, there isn't as much dust as what we get here in the tropics. Use of a filter is sensible. However it is pretty essential to get a dry-cabinet to keep our stuff in a dry environment as high humidity is a sure fire recipe for fungus to grow for lenses left lying about.
11-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

a hood also serves the purpose of cutting down lens flare. a filter with out a hood will increase the chance..