Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I mentionre this in an earlier thread, but I attended the PhotoPlus show in NY in October and asked the product manager at the PTX booth there, telling him I had one of the first TAMRON PTX 18-250's in the US and loved it. He admitted the TAMRON origin and mfg. of the PTX version but stressed the importance of the PTX coating differences. I have no opinion on that.............but the lens is superlative.

11-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
Well... obviously Pentax reps are liars. Is that the conclusion we are to draw?
Hi James,
I'm afraid both Jim King and I have been around to many OEM deals to accept the idea of a company buying an OEM item and then changing it. It just doesn't make any economic sense. As for the field rep being a Liar, well.. I've been one and hired/fired 100's of them. They are not, as a rule, the sharpest knives in the drawer. "Whatever makes your product sound better is OK" is their usual mantra.

Now I can't "Prove" the Pentax lens is an exact copy of the Tamron except for cosmetic changes, but I'll bet you 20 pounds of Maine Lobster against 5 pounds of Oregon Hereford beef it is just that.

Regards,

Ken

Last edited by regken; 11-24-2007 at 01:34 PM.
11-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote

Now I can't "Prove" the Pentax lens is an exact copy of the Tamron except for cosmetic changes, but I'll bet you 20 pounds of Maine Lobster against 5 pounds of Oregon Hereford beef it is just that.

Regards,

Ken
That cracked me up!

Okay. Let's wait and see. Hopefully Stu will have some answers for us when he returns.
11-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Sorry the only thing that I can say for certain is it felt like a nice lens in my hands.
Through the viewfinder on the K10D it sure looked nice as well.

It was snowing out there, so I couldn't take it out for a walk, and I'm just not a good enough indoor photographer to give it a fair test indoors