Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Latest Consensus on Upcoming DA 18-250

I gather from previous threads that the upcoming Pentax 18-250 is essentially a badge-engineered variant of the Tamron version of the lens. Is that still the general belief?

Thanks,

Jer

11-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I gather from previous threads that the upcoming Pentax 18-250 is essentially a badge-engineered variant of the Tamron version of the lens. Is that still the general belief?
Yes, and the lens is made by Tamron as well.
11-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
It'll probably be optically the same but with Pentax optical coatings and with a Pentax-designed housing.
11-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax own coating from what I was told by someone who works for authorized Pentax camera retailer.

I actually ordered one today, Local Ritz (not that I shop there often...) called me and said they just got them in stock, first shipment on Monday...

I wanted it for "easy one lens" travel, so will see... Should be at the store early next week for pickup.

Regards,
D

11-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Yes, and the lens is made by Tamron as well.
I'm curious. How do you know this?
11-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was at a local shop last Saturday, they had reps from several manufacturers, including Pentax, and I asked them about this lens, and particularly, if it was just a rebadged Tamron, and he said the only similar parts used on both is the lens barrel. The glass and coatings are all Pentax.
11-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I might be able to take one on a test walk tomorrow.
It shop should have gotten a couple in this week.
Although he knows that I probably won't buy it, so he might not let me

11-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, if they let ya take one out for a test drive, I'd be very interested in seeing what kind of images it can produce !! Sweet talk 'em into letting you have for a while Stu !!
11-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I was at a local shop last Saturday, they had reps from several manufacturers, including Pentax, and I asked them about this lens, and particularly, if it was just a rebadged Tamron, and he said the only similar parts used on both is the lens barrel. The glass and coatings are all Pentax.
I don't want to be contentious, but I think that the Pentax rep fed you a bunch of bull. Those who have seen the Pentax say that it is identical to the Tamron version except for the badges and the pattern on the rubber focusing and zoom rings. Furthermore, it is marked "Made in Japan," which would not be the case if it were made by Pentax - they make all the DA lenses in Viet Nam. While I'd love to think it is a real Pentax lens with Pentax glass, from all the evidence it is not - it's a straight rebadge.

I'll have a chance to see for myself next week, as my copy scheduled to arrive from Amazon on Tuesday! Pictures to follow...
11-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd never make that claim unless I had the chance to compare both lenses side by side Jim.
Which I haven't.

Unfortunately the shop where I'll be going tomorrow has just sold their last Tamron, so I won't be making that comparison.
11-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all, for your replies. From your comments and the manufacturers' specs, it looks like these two lenses are virtually identical, separated only by some small cosmetic differences. It is possible Tamron might use a Pentax-specified coating formulation for the Pentax-branded ones, but I'm betting performance of the two lenses will be indistinguishable. So it's a matter of price and availability - and even the price of the two appears to be the same.

My wife is asking me for Christmas gift ideas, and this lens has caught my eye - although it does represent something of a redundancy, since I own a DA 16-45 and DA 50 - 200 (neither of which I feel inclined to relinquish). Even so, the long reach of the big zoom and its convenience as a "walk around" lens are tempting features.

Thanks again,

Jer
11-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey Jim, I am just repeating what the Pentax Rep told me, lol, I would HOPE he was being honest with me, but hey, who knows?
11-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
I don't want to be contentious, but I think that the Pentax rep fed you a bunch of bull. Those who have seen the Pentax say that it is identical to the Tamron version except for the badges and the pattern on the rubber focusing and zoom rings. Furthermore, it is marked "Made in Japan," which would not be the case if it were made by Pentax - they make all the DA lenses in Viet Nam. While I'd love to think it is a real Pentax lens with Pentax glass, from all the evidence it is not - it's a straight rebadge.

I'll have a chance to see for myself next week, as my copy scheduled to arrive from Amazon on Tuesday! Pictures to follow...
Whoa! If we can't trust the Pentax representative, then WHO can we trust? You say that you "think" and another says uncategorically that the Pentax lens is made by Tamron. The only fact that we all can rely upon is that NONE of us knows anything and that we are simply engaging in speculation. To say that the Pentax representative was spreading a bunch of bull is highly unwarranted. You say it is a straight rebadge. Prove it. Prove that the Pentax representative was lying. The fact is, you can't so please... for the sake of clarity... use words like "I believe" or "it seems to me" but do not engage in offering opinions as though they were facts. It just ain't so UNTIL it is proven thusly. And to date it has not been proven one way or the other.
11-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Hey Jim, I am just repeating what the Pentax Rep told me, lol, I would HOPE he was being honest with me, but hey, who knows?
Well... obviously Pentax reps are liars. Is that the conclusion we are to draw?
11-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'll be leaving for the camera shop in about an hour, and see if Bill will let me take some test shots with the Pentax.

It's gray out here, but like the weather should hold for some outdoor shots