Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #1

which lens should I use?

I have been playing around with my two new lenses, the 18-55mm Pentax and the 50mm f/1.4 Pentax lens. Still being really, really new to DSLR, I have a question. I am taking a group photo of all four of my kids tomorrow ( in mid-morning daylight, or mid-afternoon daylight) and I want to know which lens should I take. My kids will grow weary of me changing lenses and speeds and this and that. Their patience will grow thin before long. The kids range in sizes from 6'2'' to 4' 2". I would prefer to get some of our beautiful mountain background in the photo, but that is not a high priority. This picture will be used in our Christmas card, so it has to look good. It doesn't matter if it is a full body length photo or a from the waist up photo. I will play around with poses. What lens should I use and should I leave the camera on autofocus and let the camera do it's thing? Thanks for any advice!

11-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would use the 50mm, the optics are just so much better

However I would still bring along the 18-55mm, just in case you need it.

Have fun
11-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with Laker here; the optics are much better and 50mm is a good focal length for these kinds of shots. Bring everything you have, tough; after growing up with my dad taking shots with a father who owned 25 lenses, we all learned a lot of patience when he would say, "one sec-let me take a quick picture of everybody!"
11-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi mom

I'm going to buck the trend here (and not just to make things more complicated) Yes, Stu and Ari are correct, the optics on the FA50mm are better...BUT...the 18-55 is quite decent at f5.6 to about f11 or so and mid morning to mid afternoon light should be sufficient. Just stay away from the fully wide so you don't vignette and you'll do fine. The reason I say use the 18-55 is that being a zoom it's much more flexible. Since you are working with kids, it will be MUCH easier to get bright shining faces if they don't have to hang out while mom "wastes our time".
I understand that you want your cards to be as nice as possible. However I doubt that you'd see much difference in either lens at card sized photos. If you were talking about 8 by 10's it would be a different story but 4 by 6 photos (I'm assuming that will be the size or smaller) won't show much difference, and none to those not discerning photogs.

NaCl(a perfectly sharp photo of a bunch of grump faces doesnt' make a good card)H2O

11-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i won't make a lens pick as either will do.. one thing i will suggest is to make sure you get the time correct for the scenery you want to include. no sense shooting a back lit subject.. also you'll need the right f-stop for the shot. a lot of times the scenery can look real nice being a tad out of focus in people shots..
11-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why not use the 18-55 for group shot (wide angle -> better depth of field) and 50mm for individual shots?
11-24-2007, 05:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks-----I will take both lenses and try both. My youngest will be happy to be my "test" subject and I can always use the 18-55 for the group and the 50mm for individuals. Once upon a time my only daughter (out of 4 kids) used to happily pose for the camera. ( I probably have a million pictures of her!) Now at age 11, she'll only do it when she's with a friend or she's in dance costume. Wish me luck!