Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
#1: I hope you got a very good price for the A* 85/1.4
#2: I hope you did not sell it to a Cannon dumb-ass that will cut the lever to make it work on their full frame dSLR with a shaved mirror.
#3: If you did sell it to a Canon user, I hope you financially raped them.
#4: WTF did you sell if for
#5: the 200/2.5 was the second best keeper on your list.

#6: Both 24mm lenses are keepers but after selling the A* 85 and K200, I'd be too busing spending the money I got to get enough Guinness to make me forget what I had just done. Then I would see if my 2 maxuum lenses would work on a Sony dSLR body after making one of the worst Pentax Noob mistakes in the history of the world.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. The one I quoted above made me laugh.

I'm a Nikon guy (don't hurt me) with some pro lenses up to 55mm. I was planning to just sell everything off initially. I did my research on Ebay before coming up with a price. One recently sold for approx. $950 with shipping. I ended up selling the lens for $850 to a local collector. He won't be hacking anything up. Discount given to save shipping hassles and a cash sale vs. potential issues with Paypal and complaints or claims of misrepresentation from out of state buyers. I knew how rare this lens was but now I feel like I've sold the holy grail!

Since I'm still thinking about keeping the others, I just want to confirm that any body I choose will be manual focus only?

I'll look into some of the body recommendations in this thread. Not a big fan of manual focus all the time though.

Once again, thank you all and cheers.

07-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxNoob Quote
I knew how rare this lens was but now I feel like I've sold the holy grail!
Well you kinda did. But that's OK, we're a forgiving bunch here...... sometimes.

QuoteQuote:
Since I'm still thinking about keeping the others, I just want to confirm that any body I choose will be manual focus only?

I'll look into some of the body recommendations in this thread. Not a big fan of manual focus all the time though.

All those lenses are manual focus only. There is a nice feature on all Pentax DSLR's though called "catch in focus" (CiF) which helps greatly getting in focus images. If I knew how CiF worked I'd explain it, but because I only own AF lenses I have no idea, but it's meant to be the cat PJs to the MF lenses owners.
07-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Canon will accept M42 and any 4/3rd camera will work with the m42 and minolta len
07-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Maybe I was a little dramatic with that last post. But damn.
Ooooh... I want to be there (to take pictures, of course) when you run into a Canon user who has adapted a FA*200 Macro to his EOS.

07-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Ooooh... I want to be there (to take pictures, of course) when you run into a Canon user who has adapted a FA*200 Macro to his EOS.
Are you that keen to see Thestrals?
07-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
It has been done. The most frequent one is either the A 50/1.2 or K 50/1.2.
07-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the responses everyone. The one I quoted above made me laugh.

I'm a Nikon guy (don't hurt me) with some pro lenses up to 55mm. I was planning to just sell everything off initially. I did my research on Ebay before coming up with a price. One recently sold for approx. $950 with shipping. I ended up selling the lens for $850 to a local collector. He won't be hacking anything up. Discount given to save shipping hassles and a cash sale vs. potential issues with Paypal and complaints or claims of misrepresentation from out of state buyers. I knew how rare this lens was but now I feel like I've sold the holy grail!

The Maxxum lenses should af on Sony dSLR but I can't verify that. I have shot Nikon. I still have a D70s with a micro-Nikkor 105 af lens on it at the lab. I actually have a Canon EOS 10s with some interesting gear. I used to have the A2. In my working film collection, I have Minolta, Miranda, Argus, Ricoh and Mamiya in addition to Pentax.

Edit: I am glad you got a decent price out of the A* 85. I was afraid you were going to say you sold it for $200.

Last edited by Blue; 07-29-2011 at 08:31 PM.
07-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

One recently sold for approx. $950 with shipping. I ended up selling the lens for $850 to a local collector. He won't be hacking anything up. Discount given to save shipping hassles and a cash sale vs. potential issues with Paypal and complaints or claims of misrepresentation from out of state buyers. I knew how rare this lens was but now I feel like I've sold the holy grail!
would it make you feel better if we told you that you sold the lens for the value which is considered already as a bargain ?

anyway, it is not really the holy grail per se, but certainly is one of the rare Pentax treasures there are.
07-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

PentaxNoob, another thing to keep in mind is that Pentax's shake-reduction is built into it's cameras, not it's lenses. So, if you buy a Pentax DSLR which has that function, it'll work with all your lenses.
07-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Is my computer not showing everything? I see nowhere on my screen that noob sold anything, just that he had an offer - he's asking us about cameras right? Ah - it's on page two I get it now.. sorta.

I have a k-x that does very well with manual-focus lenses (for example), so if you want to use your amazing glass but keep the body price low this will do very well. I paid under $400 for a barely-used one six months back, and lower prices can be found. The k-r is also quite good for a bit more, similar to a used K-7. If the budget allows, no camera can outgun the K-5 especially in features per cubic inch.

All of these will AF very well, yet use MF lenses from the MF bayonet era as is. Some Nikons AF a bit faster, but I don't carry a stopwatch when I shoot - especially one that times to 1/1000 second accuracy for such issues. I leave that to the reviewers who need to find any difference so they can make recommendations..

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 07-30-2011 at 07:26 AM.
07-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Is my computer not showing everything? I see nowhere on my screen that noob sold anything, just that he had an offer - he's asking us about cameras right? Ah - it's on page two I get it now.. sorta.

I have a k-x that does very well with manual-focus lenses (for example), so if you want to use your amazing glass but keep the body price low this will do very well. I paid under $400 for a barely-used one six months back, and lower prices can be found. The k-r is also quite good for a bit more, similar to a used K-7. If the budget allows, no camera can outgun the K-5 especially in features per cubic inch.
In the original post he says he sold it the A* 85 and has an offer on the K 200/2.5. In post 16 to me, he said he got $850 for the 85 from a local collector.
07-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote

All of these will AF very well, yet use MF lenses from the MF bayonet era as is. Some Nikons AF a bit faster, but I don't carry a stopwatch when I shoot - especially one that times to 1/1000 second accuracy for such issues. I leave that to the reviewers who need to find any difference so they can make recommendations..
Very first post by OP:

"SMC Pentax-A* 85mm 1.4 (Sold it)"
07-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

you may consider a K20d body, then add a jinfinance split screen for 30usd.
The K20 will be your manual focus body in k mount. This screen will fit out of the box without lots of work. The body still auto focus; the split screen is not affected AF mechanism.
cheers
07-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
All those lenses are manual focus only. There is a nice feature on all Pentax DSLR's though called "catch in focus" (CiF) which helps greatly getting in focus images. If I knew how CiF worked I'd explain it, but because I only own AF lenses I have no idea, but it's meant to be the cat PJs to the MF lenses owners.
If you have a manual focus lens, you can put the AF/MF switch on the camera either to MF and use the lens like a normal MF lens, or you can put it on AF.
If on AF, the shutter button won't work unless the center AF sensor (others don't work for some reason) confirms that there is something in focus.

So there is a strategy just to wait for the subject to move into focus while holding down the shutter button, or if the subject is too slow, to turn the focus ring slowly in the right direction until the subject is in focus and the AF sensor triggers the shutter.

i have some manual lenses, but i never really tried that method of focusing.

PS: you should also think about viewfinder magnification: all the entry level bodies (k-x, k-r) have pentamirror VF with smaller magnification which aren't as fun to use for manual focusing, so in your case an used "higher-end" body like k20d and k7 (i'm not sure about older bodies) may be better if you don't want to spend too much money
(my experience is based on a k7 and a k110d)

Last edited by Parliament; 07-30-2011 at 05:05 PM.
07-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Well you kinda did. But that's OK, we're a forgiving bunch here...... sometimes.

The Maxxum lenses are AF.