Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Lens compatibility - Tamron 24mm on KX?

Hi there,

I just purchased the attached Tamron 24mm/f2.5 for my KX.

It's obviously a K-Mount so it should stick on the camera without a problem, but I'm a little confused as to "how" I can use it.

Is it a model of lens that supports aperture priority (Av mode)? Is my KX capable of using any kind of automated mode with this lens or am I limited to the normal manual (M mode) with stopped-down metering?

Thanks a bunch,

Noah

Attached Images

07-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Full manual only, sorry.
07-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
So this is a standard manual Adaptall, i.e. gives me the basic functionality of stopped-down metering and absolutely no love for Aperture Priority?

For Aperture Priority I'd have to find one of those expensive "PK-A" adapters that go for $50-$100, right?
07-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This lens with its standard K-mount adapter is very compatible with your camera, though not in Av mode. Your adapter emulates a Pentax-K or Pentax-M lens (no "A" contacts). As such you are limited to M mode with stop-down (green button) metering. There is a sticky on this site with detailed instructions, but the basics are:
  • Make sure aperture ring is "enabled" in your setup menu
  • Camera in M mode
  • Select desired aperture on lens
  • Trigger stop-down metering ("green button") to set the shutter speed
You can use Av mode, but all exposures as well as metering will be made with the lens wide open at its maximum aperture.

Steve

07-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kidblue Quote
For Aperture Priority I'd have to find one of those expensive "PK-A" adapters that go for $50-$100, right?
That is correct, though FWIW, I own both adapter types and use the non-A most of the time and feel that the PK/A version is not worth the extra money.

Steve
07-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Trigger stop-down metering ("green button") to set the shutter speed
I'm still confused about the "green button" - It does the same thing as the +/- button, right? That seems to meter as well, stopped-down, of course. I've set the "green button" to a depth-of-field preview.
07-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I just took a close look at your lens and noticed that it the earlier Adaptall (as opposed to Adaptall-2) version of the 24/2.5 (model CW-24). As such, you can expect limited forward compatibility to the A-contact Adaptall-2 adapter. I don't even believe that it will fit your lens. To the best of my knowledge Tamron never made an Adaptall (first version) adapter for Pentax-A.

Steve
07-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
So I've got a good manual lens that can be expected to function as a basic K-mount. That's cool.

Is it sensical to use the +/- as my meter and reassign the green button to something else so they both don't do the same thing?

Did I just answer my own question?

Is it a good lens?

Last edited by kidblue; 07-29-2011 at 02:27 PM.