Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Green button or +/- button for meter?

For stopped-down metering on manual lenses, I've noticed that both the green button and +/- button (exposure compensation?) do the exact same thing - Is there something I'm missing here?

07-29-2011, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera? What mode?

On the K5, in Av and Tv, the green button (on mine) will turn on auto ISO. The +/- button only does EV compensation. In M mode, the green button centers the meter. With M type lenses, only M mode will work.

07-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kidblue Quote
Is there something I'm missing here
Yes and No - this depends on the lens attached to the body, with an "A" lens in "Hyper" mode, the exposure comp button will allow you to adjust, well, the ex comp - a full manual lens in "Hyper" mode will allow you to use the ex comp button for metering; this is body specific I believe and does not apply to all bodies (and can be somewhat set up differently in the settings). Are you using a KX / KR?

-
07-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm using a KX with fully manual (M) lenses.

I've readjusted the Green Button (is it a proper noun?) to now show a preview with highlights and shadows, sort of a modern depth-of-field preview, and the +/- button is still rocking as my stopped-down meter. This works for me because I don't like having the L.C.D. monitor on ever,
so it gives me a choice to see a preview only when I want it and check exposure.

Does that make sense?

I guess that adds a little more and duplicate functionality, right?

07-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kidblue Quote
I'm using a KX with fully manual (M) lenses.

I've readjusted the Green Button (is it a proper noun?) to now show a preview with highlights and shadows, sort of a modern depth-of-field preview, and the +/- button is still rocking as my stopped-down meter. This works for me because I don't like having the L.C.D. monitor on ever,
so it gives me a choice to see a preview only when I want it and check exposure.

Does that make sense?

I guess that adds a little more and duplicate functionality, right?
Whatever works for you. I have my preview set to Optical (on the k5) which, with an M type lens such as the Tamron in your other thread, in M mode, it will activate the meter and I can then just dial it to where I want it. Either with the aperture ring for aperture or the e-dial (rear) for the shutter speed. I've never thought the digital preview very useful because you can just take a picture and do the same thing. I might feel different if there was some sort of storage space reason for doing it but with our DSLRs, that isn't an issue.

07-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
The reason I use the "Digital" preview is because I don't like having my L.C.D. monitor on. Ever. So with that button I can make an actual choice to see my exposure or image only when I want to, and the over/under exposure is helpful, kind of like "zebra stripes" on other cameras, right?

You have the Green Button set to "Optical", as in depth-of-field preview? The stopped down meter (+/- Button) gives a quick depth-of-field.
07-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The K5 is completely different from the KX. The Preview is located on the power switch and to activate it all we have to do is pull it to the right. The green button is set up as I describe in the earlier post. But, yes, the preview is Optical, as in DOF preview. I don't know how you See your Digital Preview without having the LCD on, Ever

07-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
I mean to say that I don't like having the L.C.D. on, so the Digital Preview allows me to use it in the extremely rare cases that I do need it or want to double-check exposure, etc. And when I tap the shutter button it goes away and doesn't come back. So it's convenient for that. Make sense?

Especially if I'm using center-weighted metering, I can use the +/- to meter and grab a shot, but the Digital preview (Green Button) to tweak and then right back to shooting with a tap of the shutter.

07-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

As I said, whatever works for you. My LCD is typically off as well. Rather than relying on the blinkies though, I long ago learned to read the meter and use it to determine what will be properly exposed in a given scene. Then you don't need the LCD at All . Then again, LCDs on cameras were non-existent at that time.

07-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
This is my first digital camera - I usually shoot with a Leica M6, IIIC or vintage Nikkor. I've learned well enough what kind of exposure works with whichever camera/film/lens combination I'm rocking at any moment. It's probably the same kind of learning curve on my new Pentax.

The benefit of the blinking under/over on the Preview and a quick check against the meter is that the majority of what the camera calls "shutter speed" or "I.S.O" aren't that. They're digital representations of analog measurements. There isn't even a shutter. And I haven't learned to trust this particular meter yet (not that it seems wrong), so having a quick check is kind of the modern equivalent of shooting a stage with a Polaroid before knocking out a bunch of large-format images.
07-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Inactive Account

There most certainly IS a shutter...

07-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
On the K5, in Av and Tv, the green button (on mine) will turn on auto ISO.
I was wondering what button I must have touched to bring my camera into auto-ISO mode Now I found out
07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I came from the K-7, where Green was the way to go. Now with a k-x I found does the same, so the Green button was reassigned. Nice to have such choices with a 'starter' cam as I had heard from so many owners and reviews!
07-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

On the K-x, the +/- button does indeed lock in your shutter speed in M mode with manual lenses in M mode. This is unique to the K-x (maybe the K-r too), so you can assign your Green button for another function.

I only shoot old manual lenses, and I use the +/- button for all of my shooting. My green button is programmed to toggle me to RAW mode, since I shoot 99% JPEG.

But you can use your Green button to do whatever else floats your boat, since the +/- button on the K-x handles this most important function of all--locking in shutter speed in M mode.
07-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
On the K-x, the +/- button does indeed lock in your shutter speed in M mode with manual lenses in M mode. This is unique to the K-x (maybe the K-r too), so you can assign your Green button for another function.
It's actually a hold over from the K-m (K2000), which didn't have a Green Button. Welcome back BTW. I was worried that maybe the wife had done you in.