Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
While the markup on Pentax lenses is probably greater than on Tokina lenses, it's unlikely that the price differential between the Pentax and Tokina versions of the 12-24 can be explained solely or even largely on the basis of "brand premium."
Neither of us knows how "likely" or "unlikely" that is. Your speculation isn't better than mine and vice versa.

Pentax and Tokina also both offer versions of a 10-17 fisheye zoom; yet the Tokina version often costs more than the Pentax version. Why, then, does Pentax charge an enormous brand premium (40%!) for the 12-24 and not for the 10-17?
Maybe Tokina is able to achieve more of a margin for the 10-17 fisheye because it has a unique selling proposition for Canikon customers? With lens models that are sold by Canikon in similar form as well (e.g. the 12-24), third party manufacturers like Tokina have to provide an incentive to customers to go third-party rather than getting OEM lenses. The 10-17 fisheye might be sufficiently unique for other brands so that Tokina can charge more.

It is far more plausible to assume that the Pentax version of the 12-24 cost more to produce.
It may cost a little more but no speculation will convince me that the price differential is justified by manufacturing cost only.

Last edited by Class A; 08-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.
08-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 10-17 and 12-24 are probably the last lenses I would give up. Unless I shot only airshows.