Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
These threads are extremely annoying

08-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

When I don't mind travelling a bit heavier in Europe I bring two bodies with me to avoid swapping lenses.

1) K20D with Sigma 10-20
2) K200D with Sigma 17-70

I also bring my M50/1.4 in case I need it for low light shooting.
08-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget that 400mm f4 to impress the lovely french girls ...

or ... to at least get some candid photos of them

Last edited by photocanadian; 08-12-2011 at 07:47 AM.
08-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricolek Quote
+Like for this!

Q) Hi, I don't have faith in my own judgment, what should I do?
A) Do what I say. No, do what *I* say! No, me me me!! [fight]

So if I join the fight, I'd say: Take my kit, it works best for me, and I know it all, so it will work best for you too. Selah! And I have given The Word, and it is so.

Ah, but next week, I plan to jump into a live volcano. What gear should I take?

NOTE: These threads may be annoying, but they constitute what, maybe 10% of forum traffic? They're a mainstay, like junkmail. It's so easy to get involved. I get sucked in all the time. And there are so many answers: What *I* like, or what I think the questioner will like, or what Cartier-Bresson would have liked. Yeah, take the HCB kit, translated to APS-C: 15/2.8, 30/1.4, 85/2. Don't forget to shoot the peasants.

Last edited by RioRico; 08-12-2011 at 09:54 AM.
08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricolek Quote
Then why do you come in here ? All you need to know is in the thread title - duh !
08-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
+Like for this!

So if I join the fight, I'd say: Take my kit, it works best for me, and I know it all, so it will work best for you too. Selah! And I have given The Word, and it is so. Ah, but next week, I plan to jump into a live volcano. What gear should I take?
I disagree. I think these threads are very helpful for those who don't have the onsite experience of the location, the terrain condition, the weather, etc. from a photographer point of view.

Given that every photographer has his own shooting style hence provide different feedbacks but hearing those feedbacks *usually* help the OP to make the right decision.
08-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

For my European trips i've traveled with many different types of kits over the years (including MF backed up by digital)
Now i carry 4-5 lenses and 2 bodies 1 digital 1 film
in October when I'm off to Barcelona I'll have DA14, M28f3.5, m50f1.7, m100f2.8, m200f4.0 K7 and Mx
i may throw the Wr kit lens in on the off chance of bad weather
my day bag can hold this whole kit while being unobtrusive/stealth (it's a retrofitted Top Shop messenger bag that cost 10 pounds and i've run wire through the strap for security) for transport i'll use a much larger Crumpler bag that also will hold my laptop and an external drive and a whack of film, my e book etc. once there it will sit unused until i pack to come home (though the retrofit for the other bag is actually made from bits in this bag)
08-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
I'm off to Bordeaux, then down the coast to the Basque region in a bit. Photos (I imagine) will be amix of landscape, city, and portrait (both of my other half and candid).

I'm taking my K10D in a Billingham Hadley; the question is what lenses should I take?

Sigma 10-20mm
M50/1.4
FA*24
Kit 18-55

and one of either:
FA77 or DA50-135

Presently I'm going with the 10-20, FA*24 and 50-135 - although I keep changing my mind...

Any ideas? Would like to keep it to 3 lenses really, and skip the flash. Thanks for any comments!
now to answer your original question I would go with 10-20,24,50,77 (lighter and more compact than hauling a 50-135), if you look at my kit above the one lens that may be left out is the longer 200 but it's compact so i usually take it
last year i traveled with 14-28-200 but bought a 50 while there and my film camera was an RF with 1 lens (35)

You will find almost all your shots will come from the 10-20 and the 24 where you are headed, but the fast 50 is very useful indoors where flash is frequently banned
the 77 is probably long enough for isolating some architecture if you opt for it

08-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

+Like for this!

So if I join the fight, I'd say: Take my kit, it works best for me, and I know it all, so it will work best for you too. Selah! And I have given The Word, and it is so.

NOTE: These threads may be annoying, but they constitute what, maybe 10% of forum traffic? They're a mainstay, like junkmail. It's so easy to get involved. I get sucked in all the time. And there are so many answers: What *I* like, or what I think the questioner will like, or what Cartier-Bresson would have liked. Yeah, take the HCB kit, translated to APS-C: 15/2.8, 30/1.4, 85/2. Don't forget to shoot the peasants.
While I won't disagree 100% with this, as we do see a lot of queeries about what lenses to take where, and in the end, you could easily summ it all up with one equation

Image size = subject size * focal length / subject distance

just remember on a DSLR the image is 24mm wide and 16 mm high in landscape format.

BUT, having said that, and having also endured the other side of the argument, "take my kit and you'll be fine" there is a need to advise people on what is, and is not possible in certain situations. they may not appreciate AT ALL shooting distance limitations whe planning to go somewhere they have never been.

To that end, asking what are practical lenses to take to a place they have never been is a reasonable request.

I recommend a lot of times, an ultra wide like the sigma 10-20 and constantly advise that a zoom that goes down to 16mm is just not wide enough. Why do I do this? Because:
1) I have been travelling and photographing european cities for almost 20 years, and have found on film, 24mm was not wide enough (16mm equivelent FOV on digital), and
2) on digital about 40% of all my shots end up at 10mm. My experience says you need ultra wide, so I recommend it.

For a shooter who has never shot in the narrow streets of european cities unless someone tells him in advance what does and does not work, how the hell do you expect him to know. I think those who have the experience to suggest a range of lenses have some obligation to tell those who don't what will work, After all, that is part of the purpose of the forum, isn't it?
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

And I've shot in small Euro villages, and have years' experience shooting in tiny Meso-American villages just as small, and I agree that ultrawide lenses are invaluable. I've also found that very long lenses are advisable, which gets a lot of disagreement here. Feh. Point is, except for places where extreme conditions demand WR, most of these "what to take?" questions can be answered in exactly the same ways:

* Take something wide, and medium, and long, and something fast; or
* Take whatever you think is best, and that you are comfortable with.

Like I said, it's always fun to contribute my bit of 'wisdom' to such queries. But I do get a bit impatient with questions relying on the judgment of others, rather than gathering information and making an individual judgment. I try to get info, and work out the problem from there. (It's like the constipated mathematician who worked it out with a pencil.) Oh, I'm happy to give away my opinions free gratis for nothing, and they're worth every centavo. Maybe we need a WHAT SHOULD I TAKE? sticky that lays out the options given various parameters.
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I don't read all the questions like these because there are so many of them. But the discussion is valuable in helping folks think out all the possible things to consider for a vacation.

Its not like those folks are going to follow our suggestions, they may or may not, but the dialogue is helpful i think.

There is another issue out there: It is - what lenses do you feel most comfortable using. lets face it, we all have our preferences and this needs considering. Why leave the one lens behind which has accounted for most of your recognition from your peers?? (hypothetically)

Have a great time!!
08-12-2011, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
It's like the constipated mathematician who worked it out with a pencil.
That sounds painful.
08-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your constructive criticism of my post.

The title is pretty self-explanatory, so why did you feel the need to come and post anyway?! Go back to making pointless polls...

These are discussion forums, and I hoped the question might provoke some discussion - I don't need people to make decisions for me, but it is interesting to hear other people's opinions.

Thanks to the majority of replies!

+Like for this!

08-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your concerns - I was insured, but home now and thankfully didn't need it...

Photos to follow!