Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Odd camdiox 85mm f2 ebay lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone has idea if this lens is usable and worth the price?
Portrait Lenses CAMDIOX 85mm f2 for Pentax K200D K20D | eBay

Compared e.g. to Rokinon/Samyang.

It seems to have very low build quality and the coatings look fairly basic too.
The description is quite cheesy as well. Still it seems to have A pin. (Is listed as available in M and A variants).

Last edited by ytterbium; 07-31-2011 at 04:08 PM.
07-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A long thread about this lens...Google Translate

A posting from the above thread...

The build quality of This lens is adequate. It beats Russian resemblance Some designs with machined metal tubes and resin-smelling rubber grip. There is a slight wobbling in helical focusing. If you handled a Kalein-5N, the build quality is About the Same. Even the aperture ring Feels similar.

The diaphragm has 6 blades forming a "ninja star" and a hexagon at f/2.8 at f / 4 and smaller. The blades are not shiny and matted as found in Many Russian lenses of late. Aperture detents THROUGHOUT the stops are full range.

Coatings are nice, They cope well with the sun in the frame. CUDOS to the manufacturer. I say it handles better than the light against Kalein.

The lens is soft wide open. It's not just spherical aberration, it's Lack of resolution. Corners are softer still. Sharpens stopped down a bit, But only reached "excellent" levels by f/5.6. There Seems to be high field curvature, making it hard or impossible to get sharp pictures of brick walls (portraits Should be nice though). Overall, subject isolation work well witht Should this lens, giving Apparent depth of field similar to 85/1.4 Some designs.

Contrast is moderate wide open, stopped down high, not due to good coatings Doubt. Can not judge the colors yet. Very little purple fringing wide open, none stopped down.

Bokeh is very smooth, not as smooth as the Samyang 85/1.4, But still good. Compared to Sonnar-based Jupiter-9, the character of This lens is prominently Different, in Planar Obviously it's rendering. Will need more testing, But It Seems the designers allowed for Some Deliberately spherical aberration undercorrected to please out of focus rendition. (I Know That spherical aberration lenses for overcorrected, like Super / 135/3.5 SMC Takuma, Tend to Have harsh bokeh with green accents.)

Wide open example shot: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3D...rE28RFqYHdxACQ

Red ring at bottom is in focus - so are eyes = bad field curvature; Likely very good portrait lens for the price - soft distorted edges & curved field don't matter much; great smooth bokeh....

Last edited by newarts; 07-31-2011 at 05:24 PM.
07-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The lens pictured is not A-type. It will fit on PK-A mounts, but I'll suggest that you ask the seller if it has A-type pins. I have purchased Roxsen before and had no problems; I would rate the seller as reliable. From the description and review, I would judge this to be just what is says, a PORTRAIT lens, especially for 'romantic' portraits. As such, that is a very good price. It might tempt me if I didn't already have a Jupiter-9. Just be sure to keep the subject centered.
08-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Must love that buying site. How many times i've not purchased items because of this.
I asked the seller a question, to clarify available mount types for Pentax.

QuoteQuote:
hi

it is work with:
Mount Thread Size:Pentax- M, Pentax - A, Canon - A,
Nikon - M
No wonder so few users of this lens can be found on Internet, with such "reassuring" responses.

I guess i should try to ask it in a more direct and primitive way, but even then, often the answers seem like they're unclear and misleading on purpose.

How do you think, is this clear enough?
QuoteQuote:
I want to know the exact type of Pentax mount. Is it A or M?
Does it have the electronic contact (pin) for A type operation?
Sometimes i even use google translate to translate english->chinese->english, to see how much the translator looses and change some words to have less possible meanings.

Update:
Got a decent reply. Seller checked and it's an M-type lens.

Last edited by ytterbium; 08-17-2011 at 08:25 AM.