Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Maybe the prices on these lenses are going up because more people are seeking them out after getting a Pentax DSLR? If you look on eBay, there are plenty of people selling the M 28mm/2.8 with buy-it-now prices of $90-$115 or even higher.

I'm sure I probably could have gotten one cheaper if I had been patient and bid on items instead of using buy-it-now, but I just can't do that. The stress of not knowing whether or not I'll get something is too much for me.

08-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Heh, don't worry too much jbuck79. I got mine for 51 shipped. A lot of guys here are really patient and get amazing deals, but there is a lot of time involved and they miss many more lenses than they buy. As long as you don't grossly overpay and you don't get one of the more destructive forms of LBA, then you won't remember paying an extra 20 bucks for a lens here or there. However if you say you stress over whether or not you're going to get something, that sounds like a bad case. You can end up spending a lot of money with that attitude. Another lens will always come along. Don't stress too much if you lose an auction.

I was dismayed by the prices the 105/2.8 was fetching and thought I might not be able to find one, but I got one for 61 dollars with some patience(and creative searching) and it's in great condition.
08-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A Tokina closer to RioRico's price: VINTAGE RMC TOKINA 28 MM LENS | eBay
yeah, I saw that one. It looks good but I have enough 28's right now. And not enough effectivo (cash). I gotta sell some more stuff soon... like the Sigma 24/2.8, the Makinon 28/2.8, the Tak-B 28/2.8, the Petri 35/2.8, a couple M50/2's, the SuperTak 55/2. And some cameras, nothing fancy.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck79 Quote
Maybe the prices on these lenses are going up because more people are seeking them out after getting a Pentax DSLR?
Also more people buying NEX and Canon and m4/3 are finding that Asahi-Pentax glass is better and more cost-effective than what's available in their mounts.

QuoteQuote:
I'm sure I probably could have gotten one cheaper if I had been patient and bid on items instead of using buy-it-now, but I just can't do that. The stress of not knowing whether or not I'll get something is too much for me.
I was sorta like that too, a couple years ago. So I bid on five Jupiter-61's, hoping I'd win one... and I won them ALL... and then found that they wouldn't work on my K20D, grrrr...

That is what is called A Learning Experience. (Oh Goddess no, not ANOTHER learning experience!!) I learned to Calm Down. I learned to Not Get Emotionally Involved. I learned that There's Always Another One What That One Came From. And I learned to do research, and to set limits. And to exceed those limits when necessary. Be moderate in everything, especially moderation -- too much moderation is bad for you.
08-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're not willing to play the Ebay game then don't be offended by the pricing comments. You should also expect a minty perfect lens. While I've paid half of what you did and got something that comes with the typical disclaimers 'I don't know anything about cameras but I got this at an estate sale and it looks okay.'

08-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #20

Original Poster
Update:

So I decided not to purchase the M28/2.8 because I saw another lens on eBay this morning that I think is a better value and will be more suited to a novice such as myself. The seller hadn't shipped the lens yet so he (or she) refunded my money minus shipping without question. The seller had a no-questions-asked return policy, I just saved them the hassle of shipping and that money that wasn't refunded should help with their auction costs.

The lens I ended up buying is a Promaster Spectrum7, which is supposed to be a re-badged Sigma Mini-Wide II. I've read so many good things about that lens and the ability to put it in Auto should make it easier to use. Again, I probably paid more than I could have if I had shopped around for a while, but I'm just so anxious to get one.

PROMASTER SPECTRUM7 MC 2.8/28mm Pentax PK-A mount | eBay