Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rokinon 85mm f1.4 -- vs -- Super Takumar 85mm 1.9

I have the options to buy one Rokinon 85mm f1.4 for $260 and a Super Takumar 85mm f1.9 for $190. Which one would you buy and why? While I am attracted to M42 lenses and I have heard good things about the SMC-Supertakumar 85 mm f1.9 (the one I am looking is not SMC), I am also intrigued by the Rokinon f1.4. I really appreciate your input.

08-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

$260 is the normal price for a rokinon while $190 for the tak sounds like a great deal. Have no other input on these but thought I'd point that out.
There are several threads about both lenses.
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pepe - get em both.

I love my Taks and I would buy that one for the collection. As for the Rok (Samyang), that 85 1.4 is nothing short of incredible! The bokeh is simply stunning and the optical qualities are outstanding.

Look up the Samyang on google and check out the comparisons of it compared to the nikon and cannon equivalents, you will quickly see the value in that lens...

---
08-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
colector would take the Tak, portrait photographer the Rokinon. While Tak is smaller and more portable (1.4 aperture is anyway hardly usable with manual focus) but the Rokinon probably has the A aperture setting, so you wil benefit from exposure automation, including P-TTL and wireless P-TTL, which is great for some ocasional portrait photography.

08-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, the Samyang (Rokinon is just one of the brands that markets it) has the A aperture setting. Other than being MF, it works like any modern Pentax lens.

I don't see the point of a Takumar unless you really want to own one or are curious to see what's the deal.
08-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I don't see the point of a Takumar unless you really want to own one or are curious to see what's the deal.
That particular Tak is a highly regarded, well respected and highly desirable one for many Tak users - @ $190, it is also a great deal. For me, I would purchase to have/add to my collection.

That Samyang 85 1.4 is an absolute beast that has produced brilliant shots for me time and time again, for the price, I think it is a MUST HAVE for anyone who is looking for a great MF lens with good range...

---

---
08-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I would tend to agree. I got the vivitar version of the samyang a few years ago and it has produced some stellar shots. The big plus is the KA mount so all auto exposure and flash modes work. I decided on it because I gave up getting an 85F1.8 or 1.9 lens. Then I found a super tak 85F1.9 for 200. Can you spell LBA?

I have them both. Love them both. But the samyan has better coatings
08-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Tak 85/1.9 question

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
That particular Tak is a highly regarded, well respected and highly desirable one for many Tak users - @ $190, it is also a great deal. For me, I would purchase to have/add to my collection.

That Samyang 85 1.4 is an absolute beast that has produced brilliant shots for me time and time again, for the price, I think it is a MUST HAVE for anyone who is looking for a great MF lens with good range...

---

---

Does the "S-M-C Super Tak" version of this lens command a higher price than the plain "Super Tak" version? Does one verison render images differently than the other?

Also, if the S-M-C version gets a premium price, what's the going rate?

Thanks.

08-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar going for $330 at KEH and $450-$550 on Ebay. THe Super Takumar is going for $310 at KEH. I saw some CA in mostly every photo I saw taken with either. Not sure I want to spend that amount of money. The comments here have helped, for example the Rokinon is definitey sounding good. I have another question, what is the difference between Rokinon and Samyang 85mm f1.4.
08-01-2011, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Samyang seems to have made all of them including the Vivitar version. In fact, there are more than 4 different brands that I have seen. They are all pretty much the same. I have K85 f1.8 which is very good and has unique characters. But the Rokinon is sharper and has more contrast at f1.8. Buy the Tak with your heart and the Rok with your brain in case money is an issue.
08-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
My point exactly - it's a collector item. If you don't care about collecting or using Taks, then there is little point in prefering it over the Samyang if you are forced to make a choice between the two.
08-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I have another question, what is the difference between Rokinon and Samyang 85mm f1.4.
Samyang is the maker of the lens. But their lenses are rebadged under many names: Bower, Rokinon, Pro-Optic, Phoenix, Vivitar, and some others. Vivitar look differently, but the optical design should be the same. All others are pretty much identical as far as I could tell - they just have different names on it - and different prices too - you really pay for the brand here. The Rokinon is a fantastic choice - one of the best values you can get today. Check the samyang lens club here on pf or the flickr groups for samples from this lens.
08-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The only differences besides the name is the cosmetics - the focus grips seem to be designed differently also - I get the Vivitar ones as I am a brand junkie and am sooooooooo eagerly anticipating the 35mm 1.4 branded under Vivitar...

----
08-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I've owned a Rokinon for a couple of years, and it's a great lens. The optics are fabulous. The bokeh is incredible.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-reeds-19728/&u=14208
08-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I saw the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar going for $330 at KEH and $450-$550 on Ebay. THe Super Takumar is going for $310 at KEH. I saw some CA in mostly every photo I saw taken with either. Not sure I want to spend that amount of money. The comments here have helped, for example the Rokinon is definitey sounding good. I have another question, what is the difference between Rokinon and Samyang 85mm f1.4.
Most lenses before the 1980's exhibut CA, I find that lateral CA is not too bad in the Super Tak F1.9 but what is noticible is longtiudinal CA in the OOF regions, specifically slight green halio if the subject is behind the plane of focus.

This is nothing that is a new discovery.

If I was not somewhat of a lens junkie, and went down the path of getting an M42 kit, more for fun than anything else, I would not own both.

The vivitar version I own of the samyang lens is by far the more usebale of the two lenses, and is a much more modern lens design with aspherical elements to control the CA much better, and far superior coatings. I can get some annoying flare and ghosting, especially when shooting into lights at night with the super tak. But, considering I use my M42 lenses together as a kit, it still gets a lot of use, you just need to know what to expect from the lens