Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
tamron 1.4x and kenko 1.5x teleconverter club

I have a tamron 1.4x and kenko 1.5x teleconverter. when you post a reply you must specified the teleconverter and the lens.

08-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only the Pz-AF variants or any?
09-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just purchased a Tamron-F AF teleconverter 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 off of a fellow Pentaxian from Isreal. He had only used on a couple of occassions and it is truly mint. Original box, bag, both end caps and instruction sheet included. I could sure use some advice from fellow users on lenght of lens it works on, lowest and highest F stops. I know you lose 1 F stop with the 1.4. Tthey say that the autofocus feature only works on a lens' faster than 4.6. What does this mean? Can I set my aperture to say F11 and it will still autofocus? I realize it would set the aperature @ F16 in this case. Or does it mean as long as the lens is at least as fast as 4.6, it will work throughout the full range? Would appreciate any tips that you could offer me. Thanks for reading my post
09-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Michael,

I can't comment too specifically on the Tamron-F AF teleconverter 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 yet as I have previously used Kenko. I have a Tamron 1.4x on order so I may be able to say a little more when it arrives. However, from using the Kenko TCs I can comment in general. As I understand it the F4.6 which is mentioned is stating that in order to get autofocus you need the main lens to have an open aperture of F4.6 or brighter. For example my old Kenko 1.5x required an open aperture of F4.5 in the main lens. I was able to use it with my DA*300 which had an open aperture of F4.0 and get autofocus through the aperture range. In principle, as far as I understand, using auto exposure the TC should work whatever aperture you want to take the picture at because the aperture will be fully open until you press the shutter. Any TC is going to be more useful on a good prime rather than zoom lens, but I have seen some acceptable images taken with a zoom/TC combination. The main issue that I find is the loss of the 1 stop, especially in England, where light (photography wise) is not always good. It's even more of an issue as I like to do some wildlife photography which means I also want higher shutter speeds (which are desirable using a lens/TC combination anyway in order to stand the best chance of getting sharp images). There are a lot more people on the forum with more expert knowledge of TCs than myself so I am sure there will be others who can comment. There are also some other threads that may be useful if you do a search.

Paul