Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #1

Lens recommendations for K10D

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and also new to photography. I got the K10D 3 months ago for my birthday and it's been a fantastic journey to far.

My question is on a great third lens. I bought my K10D with the 18-55mm and a 50-200mm. Subsequently, I bought the 12-24mm (my primary interest is in nature/landscape) and my 18-250mm is due from Amazon on Monday (can't wait!).

It would appear the 18-250mm will render the kit lens and 50-200 unnecessary, so that leaves me with the 12-24mm wide angle as my second lens.

Is there a third lens that someone feels is a "must have?" Price isn't really an object, although I'd prefer not to spend over $1,000 unless I have to. Additionally, I'd like a lens that fits the camera without an adaptor but again, if I had to, I probably would go this route.

The*16-45mm looks like a great lens but I'm not sure if I really need it. I would certainly appreciate any/all advice I can get, and thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Phil

11-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #2

Your lenses certainly cover a nice range from 12 through 250mm. While the 18-250 may not be a real "fast" lens, that's probably not a problem for your landscape work if you're using a tripod.

If you're looking for another lens to do something you're not getting with what you have, you could consider a macro lens. I'm not sure if there's much call for "macro landscape", but macros are great for close up photography of plants, flowers, moss, insects, etc.

You could also consider a fish-eye lens, like the Pentax 10-17. You can get some great images with a fish-eye, and the distortions are often less of a problem in landscapes than with architectural subjects.

Sometimes the best bet is just go out and take tons of pictures of what you like and start paying attention to the limitations of your equipment. Look at your images and see if there are problems you need to solve. A new lens may be the answer, or maybe a tripod, circular polarizing filter or a good alarm clock to get up before sunrise.
11-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I am not sure what type of photography you like most, but have you given any thoughts on prime lenses?

The limited lenses and the 50mm f/1.4 are really a pleasure to use and to own. And they supplement your zooms very well.
11-25-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If money was no object ... I'd be looking at a wide-ish prime ... something that renders colours beautifully.

I'd be purchasing a FA31 LTD myself.

12-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
A quick note of thanks to everyone who answered my post and to the rest of you whose posts have really helped me determine my lens choices.

As I'm mostly doing nature/landscape/wildlife, and want maximum flexability with the fewest lenses in the bag. I shelved my 18-55mm kit and 50-200mm and now have the following 4 lens rotation:

ZOOMS:

12-24mm wide angle
18-250mm
100mm macro

PRIMES:

31mm ltd.

Due to my mom's health, I've had to fly across country and haven't been able to give any of them a real workout yet but the 18-250mm seems at least as good as the 50-200mm at the lowest and highest zoom and certainly sharp enough for what I'm doing. Macro is kind of wild and without any experience, it'll take some practice to figure out how I want to shoot the subjects. The 31mm ltd...WOW. Again, I haven't an opportunity to really get after it but the few test shots I've taken have been VERY impressive.

NOW, I'm looking for a 12-step program to stop from buying anymore primes...I can hear the 77mm ltd calling!

Thanks again everyone,
Phil
12-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The 31mm Ltd is a gem. But at the same time the 35/2 is a bang for the buck. I´ve owned and used both and actually, I´m not sure if the 31mm is worth the much higher price when it comes to image quality. Well, maybe it is, as I still have mine, but I wouldn´t hesitate to get the 35 instead if I was forcded to...

I appreciate the sturdy feel of the 31mm tho. Reminds me of the build quality of old manual focusing SMC lenses.