Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

This is a common problem with polarizing filters, depending on the depth of the knurling on the rotating ring. I had a Canon 28-55, where the filter mounting threads would move into and out of the outer lens housing. I bought a Canon brand polarizer, and it was the only one of several I tried that would actually let the lens zoom through its entire range (although obviously it was difficult to rotate the polarizer when the threads were fully retracted.) Later I bought another Canon brand polarizer, after losing the first one, but the new one was made in USA vs. Japan (or the other way around), and absolutely wouldn't let the lens zoom through its full range.

02-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrwood1602 Quote
Does anyone know if this is only a problem for the 58mm B+W slim filters or if it's a problem for all 58mm B+W filters.

I stupidly didn't think about the size of the hood when I bought a 62mm CPL for another lens and a step up adapter to try and use it with my new 55-300.

Thanks for the help.

The standard (non "slim") 58mm B&W filter is fine with the DA55-300's bayonet hood.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9773-REG/B_W_66044840.html

Its only the B+W 58mm "slim" that has a wider knurling.

link to the BHPhoto for this item; B+W 58mm Circular Polarizer Slim MRC Filter 66-026594 B&H Photo

it says in the overview:

Note: This filter ring's outside diameter is slightly larger than the actual thread size, and because of this you may be unable to attach the lens manufacturer's bayonet-mounted lens hood to the lens while using this filter. This is dependent on your specific lens and how thick the front rim of the lens is; with thinner, low-profile lenses usually being affected more.

Oh and if you end up buying a whole bunch of Pentax "Limited" lenses (which admittedly is pretty hard to NOT do), most of them are 49mm so take the same size filter.
If buying B+W get the normal version not the slim version. The wider knurling on the slim version scrapes on the built in sliding hoods of DA15, DA35macro, and FA77. Also you need a front thread which the slim filter lacks to use the hoods on the FA43, DA40 and DA70.