Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #16

Original Poster
Its the non HSM version.
Funny thing happened today, I went to the same target, and they had another one.... for $350 ! Apparently someone returned it this morning.
On and off I've seen a bigma for the past 2 years at this target, as an online return but stayed at the 1000 price. Can't help but think that someone might have been "renting" one of the models and maybe returned it to get a better price (they increased the percentage off for online returns).

For the first one at least it was brand new, the $350 model looks brand new but the box is a little bit worse for wear and it's obvious from the packaging that someone took a look at it.

They also had a sigma nikon 12-24mm HSM for $290.

08-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You're saying they have a Bigma for 350$? Buy it for me, I'll take it off your hands!
08-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

3 years ago I was in the same situation. I had a chance to buy a Bigma with 60% discount and I went for it. I ended up with lens I rarely use and even though it was cheaper than usually, still I lost money on it. Not a good business. Don§t buy things you don§t need just because it looks like a good deal.
08-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Geez...really...buy the Bigma for any of us or I'm going to visit VA :-P

I didn't think Target sold Pentax gear at all...

08-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Do most Target stores get online returns, or does your Target just happen to be a hub for these types of things?
08-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
3 years ago I was in the same situation. I had a chance to buy a Bigma with 60% discount and I went for it. I ended up with lens I rarely use and even though it was cheaper than usually, still I lost money on it. Not a good business. Don§t buy things you don§t need just because it looks like a good deal.
what if it were the Sigma 100-300/f4 they were selling for $350?
08-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don§t buy things you don§t need just because it looks like a good deal.
That's generally good advice; but there are deals that are just too good to pass up. I've never been a fan of the Bigma, but if I could purchase one for $350, I wouldn't hesistate to get it.
08-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter

*runs to Target*

Ask the store about it's return policy. Buy the lens and post it on the Marketplace. Give it a week. If you do not like your success, take it back for a refund. It seems like a an incredible price for either lens and I don't think many would fault you for adding a bit on top for yourself.
Use it for a long while.
This is just my ideas floatin' around.

08-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's true in a general sense. However, in this case it's very easy to recoup the money you spend on the lens, or even make a few dollars on it, by reselling the lens. Also worth noting is that just because you only use a lens occasionally doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't worth getting. You have to weigh factors like that and decide what having the lens when you want it is likely to be worth to you.
08-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Geez...really...buy the Bigma for any of us or I'm going to visit VA :-P

I didn't think Target sold Pentax gear at all...
They use to sell some stuff online, mostly pentax sigma lens and the lower end bodies. But they stopped a while ago.
08-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Do most Target stores get online returns, or does your Target just happen to be a hub for these types of things?
There seems to be two targets in my area that gets a lot of online returns.

The one with the bigma seems to get a lot of lens and cameras and until recently only discounted it down by a couple of cents. It is also located in a less affluent and busy part of the region.

The other target receives more misc electronics online returns but they usually take off 30% immediately. This target is located in a much more rich and busy place.

There is one more target that had some lens pop up as well.

Now that I think about it these are the 3 closest targets to me, which have lots of returns and lots of lens...
08-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #27

Original Poster
I like the Bigma so far, that extra reach has been useful so far.
However the 100-300mm works so much better in low light conditions that I think it still has it's place in my kit (not to mention sharpness etc..)
My 50-300mm is great when I want something light or for traveling, I can just put it in my backpack "just in case" with little weight/volume penalty.

All three lens are useful to me.... decisions decisions...

Though what I really need is a 16-50mm to replace the one that got stolen ; the weatherproofing is useful to me and I like the IQ but that darn SDM issue is making me hesitate too much.
08-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

They have bigmas as Target stores now??!!!

(drops everything and runs out of the house to go shopping...)

I will gladly re-purchase it from you should you decide it is not worth keeping

QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
So, I found a pentax sigma 50-500mm APO DG at a target store. It was an online return (only available online) but they kept it in store and kept selling it at their original price which was $1000.

I noticed the item for the past year then a few days ago they cut all the online return items to half their original price.

So I bought a bigma for $525 including tax. Still, I don't know if I should keep or return it.
Already have 82mm filters but on the other hand I have a 55-300mm and 100-300mm f4.

WIll test it out tomorrow.

thoughts ?