Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Review: Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Wrote this review for another forum first but thought I should post it here as well.

I got this lens a few weeks back of Ebay for about 900 shipped. It is alot more expensive for the pentax mount than Canon or Nikon since Sigma didn't make very many of them and have since stopped producing them for the Pentax mount completely. I bought this lens as an upgrade from my entry level 50-200mm f4-5.6 zoom. It was a great lens in good light but I am shooting more and more sporting events and other things that require 2.8 glass so I decided the Sigma was the way to go. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Specs-

Focal Length: 70-200mm
Minimum Aperture: F32
Maximum Aperture: F2.8
Lens Construction: 17 Elements in 14 Groups
Angle of View: 34.3°- 12.3°
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9pcs
Minimum Focusing Distance: 180cm(70.8”)
Maximum Magnification: 1:7.8
Filter Size: 77mm
Lens Hood: Petal Hood
Dimensions: Diameter 86.2mm (3.3”) x Length 184mm (7.2”)
Weight: 1270gr/44.7oz

Focusing
- This lens is not the HSM version that Sigma currently has in production so it relies on a screw drive type AF. Mounted on my K100D, The AF is quick and accurate even in low light. It does hunt a little sometimes and I kinda of wish I had a focus limiter on it, but I can deal as its not very often I have this problem. Focusing is a little bit loud compared to the HSM version but not to bad at all for screw drive AF. I don't find it an issue.

Build Quality-
If I had to describe the build of this lens in one word it would be rock solid Solid. Oh damn thats 3 words. Anyways. This lens is built like a champ. It is built mostly of metal with the ultra tough Sigma finish that I love. The zoom and focus ring are nice and smooth and large enough to give you great control especially if you are manually focusing. The tripod mount is nice an strong and rotates nicely out of the way to help with zooming when shooting hand held. It is also removable. The mount is almost big enough to use as a handle to carry the camera around although nothing like the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L tripod mount which is just awesome. It is also alot bigger than the nikon 80-200mm 2.8 which I find way to small for my liking. Not a big deal but yeah.

Size- Uh yeah, this thing is a monster. It weighs in at around 3 lbs and is 7.2" long. The great thing about IF and internal zooming is that the length doesnt change no matter what focal length you are at -- A big plus over consumer zooms. The weight is slightly annoying at first but you really get used to it and its not an issue. Everything I pop on my kit lens or 50mm, It feels like something is missing from my camera because im used to the heft of this lens.

Image Quality
- This lens will blow all of the consumer zooms off the map in Sharpness, Contrast, Color Reproduction, Bokeh etc. It is very sharp from 2.8 and up but gets razor sharp at about f4. Can't wait to try it out with a 1.4x TC which Im getting soon. The bokeh is silky smooth, and just plain amazing.(example A)

Samples

More o be added in a few days. Extremely Busy

Conclusion-
Overall this lens is probably the best 2.8 tele zoom for the money. You cant beat its IQ and build for the (relatively) low price you pay compared to its new Nikon and Canon counterparts. You can pick these up for around 500-600+ for Nikon and Canon mounts but expect to pay close to 1000+ for a Pentax Mount lens. I got lucky and got mine for 900 :P. If your looking at getting a tele zoom and are thinking about getting a slow 70-300 zoom or something of the such, I would really consider this lens. It is really worth the extra money and you won't regret buying it. I know I didn't.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 07-08-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: remove swearing
11-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not a whole lot to say about the lens other than that I'm jealous. Something along these lines may be my next lens...I need something fast and kind of long. And your review/pictures have made a believer out of me.

But what I really wanted to comment on is the combination of this lens and the K100D's high-ISO performance. If anyone ever thought you couldn't get great pics at ISO3200, you've proved them wrong. Sure, you can see a hint of noise, but those look GREAT!
11-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I want to get a 1.4x converter for it too!

What I don't get though, is despite the fantastic build quality of the Sigma EX lenses, they give you the nastiest crap plastic lens caps which are a pretty loose fit? The rear caps are also crap and the one I got with my Sigma 28-70 f2.8 doesn't actually fit a Pentax K-mount lens, only Sigma K-mounts. WTF?
11-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Evan.

I got 2 Tamron 1.4X which I dislike (not sharp at all combining the sigma 70-200/2.8)

If you want, I can mail a copy to you.

p.s. This is a great review and I love the sample shots very much!

11-25-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 1.4 TC and have not found alot of use for it. May be interested in selling. I have the 70-200 and would not trade it for anything. Well, I take that back I would for a Pentax 80-200 2.8
11-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the review. Nothing i already did not know, but its good to hear again.

I hope one day to get one, i have seen results on Nikon cameras and am impressed. If and when i get one, i will probably use the K10D and the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 more for horse work. (Right now i use a D1H and the 70-210 VR). My post proccessing from the K10D is way less than the D1H(which still is one of my favorite cameras for image size and sharpness).

Dave
11-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I have the Sigma 1.4 TC and have not found alot of use for it. May be interested in selling. I have the 70-200 and would not trade it for anything. Well, I take that back I would for a Pentax 80-200 2.8
I doubt you miss that much by owning sigma 70-200 2.8

Fa* 80-200 f2.8 zoom is really heavy, difficult to hand hold with bare hands on the cold metal coat. The AF hunts incredibly a lot, power zoom wasting battery quite fast. Hence I always turn off power zoom, Autofocus to a degree then manual focus. (Sigma 70-200 on the other hand autofucuses much faster (more accurately) and weighs so much less)

The performance of this zoom is variable below f4 - not sure this is due to autofocusing inaccurately or too narrow DOF. The zoom is a bit difficult to use. Seriously I am thinking how the Da* 50-135 would compare to Fa* 80-200; I am waiting for my copy of Da* 50-135 to arrive...

11-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I have the Sigma 1.4 TC and have not found alot of use for it.
I have the non-DG Sigma, plus the 1.4x and the 2x. The 1.4x is great to use for large-field sports - I use it for rugby.

Not sure of the resulting difference from the DG stuff, but I too love the lens.
11-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have the non-DG Sigma, plus the 1.4x and the 2x. The 1.4x is great to use for large-field sports - I use it for rugby.

Not sure of the resulting difference from the DG stuff, but I too love the lens.
Got the same. For those of you wanting a teleconverter...get the Sigma EX ones. The 70-200 with the 1.4 tc basically gives you the same focal range and aperture as the 100-300/4...and pretty much the same image quality too.