Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They don't look all that unusual to me either given the subject and lighting, although indeed, not all lenses produce that same look.

08-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
More sample photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mika2k1/FA28105

The last 3 in the set were taken with the DA 18-55mm for comparison. As you can see, there's definitely something wrong with the FA 28-105mm
08-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
More sample photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mika2k1/FA28105

The last 3 in the set were taken with the DA 18-55mm for comparison. As you can see, there's definitely something wrong with the FA 28-105mm
I honestly don't have any experience with the 28-105 so I cannot give a "user's" comment but based on your samples, It appears (to me and my monitor) that at f5.6-f8, it does seem to produce "comparable" IQ with the 18-55's samples. If it was lens fogging, haze or something it would've been visible at any aperture, I think. I'm guessing this may be the characteristics of the particular copy you have?
08-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

By briefly checking your shots, I would say your lens suffers from misalignment badly.

08-05-2011, 03:32 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
By briefly checking your shots, I would say your lens suffers from misalignment badly.
The first reasonable answer I've seen in this thread. One shouldn't have to stop a lens all the way down to make it Usable. Even the lowly kit lens out performs it.

I'm guessing from your lens list (OP) that you are no stranger to manual focus. Does using MF change your results for the better?

08-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The first reasonable answer I've seen in this thread. One shouldn't have to stop a lens all the way down to make it Usable. Even the lowly kit lens out performs it.

I'm guessing from your lens list (OP) that you are no stranger to manual focus. Does using MF change your results for the better?

None of my MF lenses have this problem. They are all VERY sharp @f4. Heck, they are all pretty sharp wide open. None of them produce this extreme softness and halo effect. That is why I strongly suspected it is some kind of a defect with the lens. wlachan is probably correct in his diagnosis.

Last edited by mika.; 08-05-2011 at 07:40 AM.
08-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
None of my MF lenses have this problem. They are all VERY sharp @f4. Heck, they are all pretty sharp wide open. None of them produce this extreme softness and halo effect. That is why I strongly suspected it is some kind of a defect with the lens. wlachan is probably correct in his diagnosis.
I figured that....

I was asking if your FA 28-105 improved with manual focus.

08-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
One other thing I noticed with my copy - it's supposed to have better flare resistance than previous models, but it scatters light kind of strangely. I get rainbow halos when I shoot the sun. I don't know if that has anything to do with the halos, but I throw it out there.
have you got a filter in front of the lens.

Many of these lenses had a flat front element that does not require a filter

08-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I figured that....

I was asking if your FA 28-105 improved with manual focus.

I see. I wasn't aware I could also manual focus with this lens. But the auto-focus worked fine. I can see through the viewfinder that the lens focused correctly. Anyhow, I no longer have the lens. It's in the mail on its way back to its previous owner.

Last edited by mika.; 08-05-2011 at 12:29 PM.