Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

what mount is this?

The picture is kind of blurry so I was wondering if anyone might be willing to give a second opinion about what mount it is? I am mainly wondering what the rear bayonet is (I know its an adapter). I'm hoping for a tx-pk adapter that I can modify to use with a t4 lens. it is an ebay lens by the way. I have a feeling the lens is another its damaged/poor glass but I'm going to hide behind the whole I don't know anything about cameras thing and say its good. I'm only interested in the mount adapter so if the lens is ok its a bonus. It kind of depends on if it sells cheap though (someone else is asking questions about it and I'm not getting into a bidding war over it).

Last edited by ripit; 06-30-2013 at 07:02 PM.
08-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't help - I'd be guessing - but I can offer this that someone else around here shared the other day (I forget who) : SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide
08-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I have seen that guide before although I didn't specifically refer to it this time. Its more of an issue of a blurry picture and I was hoping someone might catch something in the pic I missed that gave a clue. Its got the cutout for the lens lock that pentax would have? The apeture lever seems to be in the right place? I can not see the lugs well enough to tell if it is minolta and has the cutout (almost can not even tell it has lugs). It doesn't have the side lever so I guess not nikon and no side buttons so I guess not olympus?

I guess that I'm gambling that it is even tx mount (there are other mount versions that use that side lock lever, right).
08-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I guess that I'm gambling that it is even tx mount (there are other mount versions that use that side lock lever, right).
Yes, that's what it looks like, all right. T4 and TX both have that lump. Happy bidding!

08-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, that's what it looks like, all right. T4 and TX both have that lump. Happy bidding!
Thanks for the second opinion. If it goes cheap I think I'll take my chances.
08-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I found a photo of a TX to PK adapter that I sold a couple of years ago. I'll post it here but I don't think it's that much help:

08-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is helpful as they look pretty similar to me (from what I can tell from my blurry pic). I haven't decided if I'm going to ask the seller about it or not. Someone else asked a question and the seller posted it on the auction (so if the answer is yes its k mount and he posts it it could get others interested in it). It looks close enough to me to take the gamble. Seller said his neighbor checked it out and it works great, rings operate smooth. The only issue is the front element has either dust or fungus (pictures not good enough to tell inside or out or what it is). For under 10$ shipped if it sells that cheap, I may get another tx/t4 lens (maybe sitting on the shelf with the other till I get an adapter), maybe I get a working adapter or bot or maybe nothing, lol. Its not much money to gamble.
08-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now I'm really hoping it is pk mount and the lens is good. A couple of people got in a small bidding war (23 bids) but I sniped it at the end for 13.51 + 7$ shipping. It was about 80 cents less than my maximum bid so they almost got it. I was thinking that the adapter would cost me at least 20$ (though no guarantee this one is k mount). the lens is a vivitar 100.300mm 5.0 constant aperture. I'm not sure how useful that will be as its pretty slow on the short to mid range. Some brief searching indicated its tokina and decent quality (I already have 100-300 and a 70-300 AF lenses though). Here is hoping.....

08-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A bidding war between some real high spenders! I don't know if there were any other makers for the TX or T4 lenses besides Tokina. In TX, I had the 135/2.5 and the 28/2.5 which were decent. I liked the 135 a lot. I had a 28/2.8 and still have a 300/5.5 in T4, and they were not very good. I gave away a lot of these for shipping costs and will probably give away the 300/5.5.
08-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A bidding war between some real high spenders! I don't know if there were any other makers for the TX or T4 lenses besides Tokina. In TX, I had the 135/2.5 and the 28/2.5 which were decent. I liked the 135 a lot. I had a 28/2.8 and still have a 300/5.5 in T4, and they were not very good. I gave away a lot of these for shipping costs and will probably give away the 300/5.5.
What little info I have found so far implies its a decent lens and was pretty expensive in its day but it needs a lot of light (no kidding, f5 at 100mm and it needs a lot of light?). If the mount is tx-pk its worth it for the mount alone. I really need to stop buying garbage on ebay. I just won vivitar 28-210 for 12$ shipped knowing full well it was minolta mount. thats 3 minolta lenses waiting to have their mounts ripped off and converted if I don't destroy them in the process.
you gotta love bidding wars on garbage. I'm going to kick your but by 50 cents. no you are not (bid next minimum increment). something kind of strange happened at the end though. after the almost winner beat the other guy, he kept bidding about 50 cents higher every 5-10 seconds for 11 bids (my bid was 1 second after his last bid I bid about a dollar more).
maybe it was bidding software gone crazy ?
08-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
score. it was a tx-pk. Further, it looks like it may work with my t4 lens without modification. I guess you are supposed to loose widest aperture on most lenses. I found if I tun the aperture ring out of place when installing the mount so that the aperture ring functions backwards, I get just a hint short of full open, but one of the metal rings in the lens obstructs the fact that the aperture is a hind closed. I was thinking a 90-230mm 4.5 and the new 100-300mm 5.0 (both tank size vivitars) would be mostly useless except perhaps the second one on the long end (now that I have the series 1 70210). Turns out one has excellent macro potential and the other may have some.
now on to ripping the minolta mount off a new vivitar 28-210mm.