Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My D FA 100mm has a focus clamp. I don't believe I've ever used it. I almost always use MF for macro shooting. I don't see the benefit of a clamp.

Regarding a hood, I assume the new WR has the same recessed element as my lens, recessed just over 5/8". I always use a hood anyway, but I prefer a small standard collapsible rubber hood for 49mm lenses. The same hood fits my FA 35 and FA 50mm lenses, which saves a lot of room in my bag.

08-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
My D FA 100mm has a focus clamp. I don't believe I've ever used it. I almost always use MF for macro shooting. I don't see the benefit of a clamp.

Regarding a hood, I assume the new WR has the same recessed element as my lens, recessed just over 5/8". I always use a hood anyway, but I prefer a small standard collapsible rubber hood for 49mm lenses. The same hood fits my FA 35 and FA 50mm lenses, which saves a lot of room in my bag.
for me, the benefit of having the clamp is for more friction if you feel that the focus ring is just too smooth or loose for micro adjustment.

both the DFA and WR 100 are not that to what we even categorize as significantly recessed as the old FA nor the Tamron 90 which are recessed at around 3cm.
08-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
for me, the benefit of having the clamp is for more friction if you feel that the focus ring is just too smooth or loose for micro adjustment.
Ah, different styles. I don't use the focus ring for macro. I preset focus and move back and forth until I see that the critical area is in focus, then I squeeze off the shot.

both the DFA and WR 100 are not that to what we even categorize as significantly recessed as the old FA nor the Tamron 90 which are recessed at around 3cm.
Ok, but the size of the front element is significantly different too, 58mm vs 49mm, so the FA needs more shading. The fact is, a lot of people use both lenses without a hood.
08-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This site is fantastic.
For the record, Canada post also has a similar tool.

Thanks everyone for all the info and discussion. the WR is winning currently, and easier to find used apparently. I saw a few videos on youtube where I can hear the focus engine, and even though SDM would have been nice, it's no worse than the FA50 macro. I'll live...

08-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
For the record, Canada post also has a similar tool.
Got a link??
08-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ok, but the size of the front element is significantly different too, 58mm vs 49mm, so the FA needs more shading. The fact is, a lot of people use both lenses without a hood.
that is not correct. what you are actually comparing is the front filter thread size, not the actual size of the front element. the size of the front element hidden inside the recessed barrel is just slightly larger than a 50/2 lens (again, do not assume the 49mm filter thread is the same and actual front element size). to give a better picture, here is a sample pic.

>>>

and the 50/2's front element size.

so you see, the element is pretty far back inside the barrel around 3cm, so I'm not sure why would you say that it would need further shading. it is pretty much hidden. the length of the lens' barrel more like acts as a built-in lens hood in itself since the 3cm gap between the filter thread tip of the lens and the recessed lens is pretty much a hollow tube.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-07-2011 at 07:23 PM.
08-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I don't see the relevance of a 50mm f2. The D FA 100 does have a recessed front element, it is smaller than the FA 100's, and lots of people use it without a hood. That's all I have to say about it. I'm not interested in arguing the point any longer.

You can almost see the front element in this photo. Is that not what you call recessed?
08-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't see the relevance of a 50mm f2. The D does have a recessed front element, it is smaller than the 's, and lots of people use it without a hood. That's all I have to say about it. I'm not interested in arguing the point any longer.

You can almost see the front element in this photo. Is that not what you call recessed?

you dont see the relevance? well for starters you did assume the front element of the old FA 100 to be 58mm in diameter right? the relevance of why I put the 50/2's front element size as relevant is for you to see how really small is the size of the front element of the FA 100 which disputes your claim that it's 58mm. do you get the point now? it is for education purpose for someone like you.

second, if you read my previous statements, I merely stated the difference between the 3 macro lenses recessed element distance. and for the record, I own 3 macros, the other 2 (although recessed) are not too deep as that of the old FA. again, this is for education purpose for someone like you and someone who is looking at the pros and cons of such lenses. just because you not needing a hood for your DFA macro, makes others believe they shouldn't need it as well.

the Sigma 70 has a recessed element with a distance similar to that of your DFA 100, and I use a hood with it for shading against glare at 10 'o clock and 2 o' clock.

if you are happy with your DFA without a lens hood, so be it. but don't make claims that it would do alright without one totally. that's BS with a capital.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-07-2011 at 08:42 PM.
08-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When the DFA 100 WR is extended to 1:1 position, there is very little of it inside the hood. The Hood does not move with the front element but stays on the lens body itself and the front element moves within the hood. In actuality, the hood, at 1:1 magnification, doesn't do a whole lot. It doesn't hurt anything to have it on either.

08-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
When the DFA 100 WR is extended to 1:1 position, there is very little of it inside the hood. The Hood does not move with the front element but stays on the lens body itself and the front element moves within the hood. In actuality, the hood, at 1:1 magnification, doesn't do a whole lot. It doesn't hurt anything to have it on either.

I like having the hood on because it protects the extended barrel from accidental bumps.
08-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got a link??
Canada Post Comparison Shopper - Xbox, PS3, Wii, PSP, Digital Camera & Camcorders, Laptops, Netbooks, Servers, Tablet PCs, Speakers, Toys, Movies, Furniture, Clothing - Boxers, Dresses, Cosmetics, Yoga & More
08-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

It a useful site alright, but for camera gear I'll stay with Photoprice.

I checked pricing for a K-5 body on the above site and on Photoprice. Canada Post only shows two shops carrying the camera, Photoprice shows 14.

- Canada Post site shows the Vistek base price, plus shipping, $1299.

- Photoprice shows Vistek base price + tax + shipping, $1468.

I find it very useful to see the entire cost of the lens, especially when comparing US and Canadian pricing. For example CP price shown for a K-7 at B&H is $785. Photoprice shows $930, which is the actual price with import tax added.
08-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #28
Pentaxian

you dont see the relevance? well for starters you did assume the front element of the old FA 100 to be 58mm in diameter right?
No, I assumed the 58mm filter size was to accomodate a larger front element. Maybe you're right, maybe the front elements of the FA and D FA are the same size. It doesn't really affect my statement that the FA needs a longer extension to provide the same coverage. The length of a larger diameter hood has to be greater in order to provide the same coverage as a smaller diameter hood. In this case, the "hood" being the empty tube in front of the glass.
08-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as the original question, on my K-5 the DFA 100mm WR lens only seems to move through the entire focus rotation when you are switching from close focus to long range.

If you are staying within the 8ft to infinity area it locks in immediately.

Also if your shots are all in the close focus area it will lock in quickly.

You can avoid any excessive travel easily by prefocusing using the quick shift feature.

This is an awesome lens IMO.

As far as noise levels it does have a different type of sound than say for example my Tamron 18-250. The DFA 100mm WR has a whine with a deeper undertone. The Tamron has more of a tinny high pitched whine. You could say the DFA sounds a little louder.

Last edited by crewl1; 08-08-2011 at 12:07 PM.
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
As far as the original question, on my K-5 the DFA 100mm WR lens only seems to move through the entire focus rotation when you are switching from close focus to long range.

If you are staying within the 8ft to infinity area it locks in immediately.

Also if your shots are all in the close focus area it will lock in quickly.

You can avoid any excessive travel easily by prefocusing using the quick shift feature.

This is an awesome lens IMO.

As far as noise levels it does have a different type of sound than say for example my Tamron 18-250. The DFA 100mm WR has a whine with a deeper undertone. The Tamron has more of a tinny high pitched whine. You could say the DFA sounds a little louder.
Thanks. Very useful.

I bit the bullet and bought the DFA WR today. It should arrive in a few days. I'll update you guys. Thanks for all the relevant info!